UKC

Changing car: Clio to Jazz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 09 Oct 2013
Thinking of getting a Honda Jazz 1.2 as my current car is on last legs. Its a Clio 1.2.

I see from Autotrader that a Clio at the same year & similiar milage will be about £1,300 cheaper.

Anyone have experience with both types? Is the extra money worth it for the Jazz, maybe more reliable, cheaper to repair etc?
 Mal Grey 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

May be more reliable, with a great reputation, but Honda won't be cheaper to repair, parts & labour can be quite pricey. The Jazz is, though, extremely practical for its size, with more legroom than most and with the back seats down, loads of gear space. Borrowed one as a courtesy car a few times, and actually found it easier to put bikes etc in than the bigger (funny shaped) Civic. Good little car.

Later Clios seem better made, but only been a passenger in them.

Of course, you should also consider a Skoda Octavia estate...

OP Flinticus 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Mal Grey:
Thanks. Don't throw another model into the equation!

Our Clio is 2005 and not great for room / packing stuff with the dog. Its a struggle to get my bike in, even with the front wheel and saddle removed.
 Solar 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
Jazz's of 1998 onwards I think (and possibly the older models) have a neat trick where the back seats fold up. Leaving a space to put in a couple of bikes with wheels off and a boot empty to put gear/luggage in. Reason I got mine
 SteveoS 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I have an 02 Clio at 76k miles and it's still going strong! Few minor electrical issues but the engine is solid.

Took me, 2 friends, a bouldering mat and camping gear to font with ease and it fits 2 mountain bikes no problem. (Key is to remove the seat in the back where your arse goes.)
almost sane 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

The back seat trick also makes a Jazz the ideal small car for transporting a clarsach.
This was after going round all manner of car shops with a harp bag

As has been said, it is a very roomy car inside for such a small body outside.
Roomy in the back for passangers, or else loads and loads of space for its size.
An ideal urban car for someone wanting to carry stuff from time to time. And very reliable.
 rhudson 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
I have an 03 automatic Jazz. It is a good little car in every respect apart from the automatic gearbox which is known to wear out and is very expensive to repair. My gearbox has been knackered for about two years and seems to be getting worse. Despite this, I would consider replacing the car with a manual one. Most of the other people driving a Jazz seem to be quite mature as my kids like to point out. It is a practical vehicle though.
In reply to Flinticus: We downsized from a diesel Focus to a Jazz and it is a stunning little car - fuel economy (1.4 petrol engine)is global average 53mpg yet it still consumes our inflatable dinghy and sailing gear. Miss the turbo kicking in for overtaking on the road to Oban but you just have to use the straights. The rear seat idea is pure genius.
 LastBoyScout 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

My Mum has a Jazz and loves it.
Friend had one and could get a tandem in it - wheels off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...