UKC

Cheapy new phone (re: older archived thread)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 22 Nov 2012
I started this thread 2 months ago, now archived so I can't revive it
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=519368&v=1#x7010656

I never did get the Ascend G300, no Tesco had any stock and I am told the phone has been discontinued.

I've read some reviews of Xperia Tipo and Miro and a few others in that price band, but it still seems that the Ascend is the one to go for, and I'll accept that I can't get a £65 or £80 bargain at Tesco so I could bite the bullet and splash £100 on one if Vodafone have any left...or does anyone want to update me on what to get (I am still muddling along with the old Nokia 6300, which is tolerable, but I have a decent overtime claim to put in this month and can justify a little treat )

Thanks
In reply to Blue Straggler:

A late night bump, with added thanks to those who contributed on the previous thread.
 winhill 22 Nov 2012

Someone told me that cheap huawei android (blaze?) was £40 including £10 credit at phones4u again. week ago, I think.
In reply to winhill:

Thanks for that, doesn't look too bad, I don't care about camera aspects on a phone which seem to be its "weak" point, and the screen res looks better than on some dearer ones. One review I read does say the screen scratches up quite easily.
Samsung Wave Y at £55 looks similar, less camera resolution but I don't care, and it's not Android (again not that bothered, I don't need many apps!) and might be tougher as I think all Samsungs are on Gorilla Glass.

I should be able to stretch to £100 with justification though, so if the Ascend G300 remains a no-brainer I might be persuaded that way. Nokia 500 looks nice (again, not Android) but I am not sure whether I can get one at a sensible price, I was led to believe I could but they don't seem readily available at less than £150 even though it should be a £100 phone by now. Hmm

Galaxy Y can be had for £70-80, it is Android but lower screen res and TechArena seemed to suggest the Wave Y is better. It's all very confusing!
 SARS 23 Nov 2012

Surely with the amount of effort youve put into researching this cheapie phone you could have done enough overtime to replace your old galaxy!

Just saying, like. 3 months is a long time to be pondering over a phone!
In reply to SARS:

Yes yes, very good
I haven't been pondering all that time, you banana :-P
 krikoman 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: You can get the Ascend for £100 unlocked in some Vodaphone shops, they are supposed to charge £20 to unlock but if you're lucky they'll do it for nowt.

It's a good phone with very good battery life
In reply to krikoman:

Cheers, yes I should be able to get it for £100, isn't that the RRP? They would usually make me buy £10 of airtime but I think they will waive that for me as a long-term customer. I only didn't get one before because Tesco were advertising them crazy cheap, but there were none in stock! D'oh. I suppose here I am just asking if for my needs (Google maps to run as satnav, email, Facebook and only occasional other web browsing e.g. imdb.com, cinema listings, UKC) and no need to fill my life with apps, I can get away with a lower spec phone, though I suppose in a few months the price difference of £40ish will be forgotten anyway!
 FrankBooth 23 Nov 2012
I just 'bought' a Galaxy Ace each for my daughters with Carphone Warehouse. The phones are 'free' on a £7.50/month contract (24 months).
OK I have laid this to rest finally and got an Ascend G300 (picking it up next week)

Thanks all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...