UKC

Chlorhexidine moisturiser

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 07 Nov 2020

Even before the Corona Virus pandemic, I washed my hands with chlorhexidine, multiple times per day, and know that with the colder months, the drying effects get worse: So soon I will be getting the cracks on my digits familiar in winter. Everyone is cleaning hands more (or should be) and including alcoholic preparations when out, so the effect is likely to be greater this winter. 

So is there a combined antibacterial/antiviral product, and moisturiser?

In fact I think that most moisturisers of a normal sort could enhance the survival of Corona virus, and possibly add to the spread.

marsbar 07 Nov 2020
In reply to veteye:

My new favourite handcream is Palmers.  Coconut or Cocoa butter or Shea butter.  

John Kelly 07 Nov 2020
In reply to veteye:

Does normal soap not work?

Wouldn't worry too much - don't think any documented cases of catching it from touching contaminated surfaces 

This is a bit ancient but don't think there has been any change

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/latest-evidence/transmission

mik82 07 Nov 2020
In reply to veteye:

> So is there a combined antibacterial/antiviral product, and moisturiser?

Yes - Dermol products (cream, lotion etc) are moisturisers containing chlorhexidine and benzalkonium chloride. I'd normally recommend using them as soap substitutes rather than leaving them on as some people are hypersensitive to the antibacterial components.

If your hands are cracking, could you swab out the chlorhexidine wash for something like Dermol 500 (lotion)?

SFM 07 Nov 2020
In reply to veteye:

Vaseline do one. I saw it in a shop the other day. Not entirely sure how effective it is from an antibacterial standpoint however but probably worth a look. 

SouthernSteve 07 Nov 2020
In reply to veteye:

Udder cream is highly moisturising and often contains an antiseptic e.g. https://www.viovet.co.uk/Gold-Label-Udder-Cream/c12104/    These kind of products are great for day outside lambing in the cold.

A more traditional remedy would be to use a barrier cream after sterilisation/cleaning or change your surgical soap. Frequent use of Sterilium seems to preserve my hands quite well, but it does catch your throat a bit. 

cb294 07 Nov 2020
In reply to veteye:

The chemistry department of our uni makes bulk amounts of a home brew vaseline/ethanole/2-propanole disinfectant which is not bad. There is a bottle or dispenser  in every hallway, lab, office, toilet, or social room, so I use it several times a day. The recipe is apparently from the WHO, could check on the bottle on Monday.

CB

monkey man 07 Nov 2020
In reply to veteye:

Sterilium.

or switch to iodine if you can stand the mess, it’s much less drying. 

FactorXXX 07 Nov 2020
In reply to veteye:

> Even before the Corona Virus pandemic, I washed my hands with chlorhexidine

Is Chlorhexidine actually effective against it?

OP veteye 07 Nov 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

My impression would be that barrier cream presumably lodges in small defects in your skin. If it does not actually kill virus particles, then possibly that could remain a source of infection over a longer period of time.

OP veteye 07 Nov 2020
In reply to monkey man:

I used to use iodine in the past, all the time, but stopped, when the wall in the area where I scrubbed up turned orange,presumably from vapour (rather than splashes). I'm not aware of iodine based products causing toxicity, but back then, it was off-putting, and I didn't want orange lungs, so I stopped.  :-}

I still do use Betadine type scrub, but less than chlorhexidine.

David Riley 07 Nov 2020
In reply to veteye:

Please excuse my wander off topic.  Your "kill virus particles".  Kill is used very generally, as in "kill the power".  What actually are we doing with viruses ?  Completely disintegrating them, or just blocking, or damaging a part of the function ?  More a thought than a question.

gethin_allen 07 Nov 2020

> Udder cream is highly moisturising and often contains an antiseptic e.g. https://www.viovet.co.uk/Gold-Label-Udder-Cream/c12104/    These kind of products are great for day outside lambing in the cold.

This is true, and at one point was used as chamois cream by cyclists and there is a brand of chamois cream which I use called "Udderly smooth" playing on the historic use. These days there are a million different brands of chamois cream but most have moisturising and anti microbial activities.

These creams can also be useful for preventing foot skin problems when hiking long distances, lubricating rubbing areas and reducing infection.

In reply to veteye:

Enveloped viruses are not very tough, they only need soap, so if you have disinfected first I don't see the problem. Bacterial carriage is markedly increased in inflamed skin, partially due to reduction in barrier function and also due to increased binding sites for Staphylococcus (particularly fibronectin), so I wonder in the cream versus disrupted skin debate whether we can be sure that one is worse than the other. 

You could fill some surgical gloves with moisturiser at the end of the day and wear for 15 minutes at the end of the day as a prophylactic measure.

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Is Chlorhexidine actually effective against it? (good question)

Not in dental rinses according to one paper I found   doi: 10.1038/s41368-020-0075-9

But chlorhexidine scrub is much stronger (4% initially) and has other (soapy properties) which will likely work well to disrupt the virus envelope, but the low concentration in the udder cream or other suggestions might not be enough. Chlorhexidine does bind to skin for some time, unlike iodine. 

nufkin 07 Nov 2020

>  You could fill some surgical gloves with moisturiser at the end of the day and wear on your hands for 15 minutes at the end of the day as a prophylactic measure.

Edited to anticipate embarassing misunderstandings

In reply to nufkin: very much needed correction!

OP veteye 07 Nov 2020

> But chlorhexidine scrub is much stronger (4% initially) and has other (soapy properties) which will likely work well to disrupt the virus envelope, but the low concentration in the udder cream or other suggestions might not be enough. Chlorhexidine does bind to skin for some time, unlike iodine. 

In fact I was going to mention about the envelope susceptibility to David Riley, but you did the job. I'm not familiar with barrier cream, but I was not aware that it had any anti-microbiological activity, and I wonder if the viscous nature of it, would enhance the viral survival, but that is only surmise. 

The fact of chlorhexidine having a sustained effect to some extent, probably helps me, as I probably use it 30 plus times some days. (It's not as good as hexachlorophene, but that was carcinogenic!)

In fact the original question was raised with the idea that the wo/man in the street would possibly be getting more damaged skin this year, and that they may be using some moisturisers that would possibly engender spread of virus. It was not too much aimed at just helping me with ways of dealing with my skin.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...