UKC

Clear pricing of Pies and Pints

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 07 May 2022

Went in a Pub in Manchester last night, and the card machine was proffered, £5.70, ouch. Went in another Pub, £3.60.
Different Pubs,Went in a Pub in Manchester last night, and the card machine was proffered, £5.70, ouch. Went in another Pub, £3.60.
Different Pubs, different beers, different prices.
However why do pubs not have price per pint clearly marked on the pump.
Often if you ask the price, the Bar person either does not know and has to Google it on the Till, and or looks at you as if your mean bugger for asking.

Same in many/most bakers, they rarely seem to clearly display the prices of Pies and Cakes.

It seems odd to me.

Post edited at 08:10
OP Godwin 07 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I SEEM TO KEEP HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE EDIT FUNCTION

Went in a Pub in Manchester last night, and the card machine was proffered, £5.70, ouch. Went in another Pub, £3.60.
Different Pubs, different beers, different prices.
However why do pubs not have price per pint clearly marked on the pump.
Often if you ask the price, the Bar person either does not know and has to Google it on the Till, and or looks at you as if your mean bugger for asking.

Same in many/most bakers, they rarely seem to clearly display the prices of Pies and Cakes.

It seems odd to me.

Maggot 07 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

> Different Pubs, different beers, different prices.

Well, knock me down with a feather!

kmsands 07 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Pubs do have to display prices. There's usually a printed price list, with tiny, tiny, writing, on the wall at the least accessible end of the bar. Better pubs tend to have guest ales listed with strength and price, on a more readable chalk board...

OP Godwin 07 May 2022
In reply to Maggot:

> Well, knock me down with a feather!

Selective, out of context quoting, is rather tedious, you Maggot.

OP Godwin 07 May 2022
In reply to kmsands:

> Pubs do have to display prices. There's usually a printed price list, with tiny, tiny, writing, on the wall at the least accessible end of the bar. Better pubs tend to have guest ales listed with strength and price, on a more readable chalk board...

The both Pubs are very highly regarded old fashioned Manchester Pubs. Going and putting your reading glasses on, to read the Price list in Font 9 print at the end of the bar, is too uncool even for me, the least cool person in the UK.

Clarence 07 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I was having this conversation with a pub landlord a couple of weeks ago. I think that Spoons has caused a lot of people to think about the price of beer, I can get a pint of Pedigree in spoons for £2.20 but in the same street it could cost £3.00 or at a certain notorious pub £4.30. Spoons proudly display the prices on the pumps, the mid range pubs use chalk boards (still very easy to read) but the top end pub uses the proverbial 9 point text on a curly photocopy of a price list taped to the cellar door behind the bar. We agreed that a clearly written price on the pump clip is the way to go, even if it was those faux-digital re-usable ones that you black out with a marker pen. One pub did try bluetoothing a PDF price list to your phone when we had enforced table service but they were presented with so many Nokia bricks that it was a lost cause.

Bottom Clinger 07 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Speaking as an expert, being uncool is actually cool. So try this: take a photo of the price list on your phone then use a screen reader, played at full volume, to read out the prices. Another advantage is you can guarantee a free seat will be quickly made available. 

Moacs 07 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

> Went in a Pub in London last night, and the card machine was proffered, £6.70, ouch. Went in another Pub, £7.60

> Wished I lived in Manchester

mrphilipoldham 07 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Blimey, I even find font 6b+ hard enough!

mondite 07 May 2022
In reply to kmsands:

>  Better pubs tend to have guest ales listed with strength and price, on a more readable chalk board...

One advantage of the craft beer pubs which have an ever changing range is that they tend to display all this clearly on custom boards although do also need to check what the serving size is.

birdie num num 07 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

You need to try minesweeping 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...