UKC

Climbing board games

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Welsh Kate 03 Jan 2018

I should probably have posted this before Christmas; and as it's climbing related, I'm not certain that Off Belay is the place for it, but never mind!

When I was a kid, one of the delights of wet autumn half-terms at my Grandmother's cramped house just outside Salcombe was playing a mountaineering game that I can't remember much about. What I do remember was that the 'board' was actually a pyramidcal mountain with holds and small ledges that you moved your 'piece' - ?three plastic climbers roped together - up by means of snagging bits of the climbers with a wee fishing rod with a metal loop on the end. The climbers had protection, but there was still a very real danger of a fatal fall onto the coffee table and dying, especially with sibling-triggered earthquakes (which were not in the game rules).

It was fun - but I can't remember much else about it. Anyone else got any memories of what this game might be?

And while we're on the subject - any other climbing board games that you'd recommend?
Post edited at 14:31
 Eeep 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Don't know what the game is but might be one of these?

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/117878/top-10-mountain-climbing-games
 Andy Johnson 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:
This was on Kickstarter recently: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coreywright/mountaineers-a-3d-board-gam... Looks nicely designed and it more than achieved its funding.
Post edited at 16:44
 Pete Houghton 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:

This is not the board game you seek, but I have a copy of this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97442/vi-sup

I'm not going to lie, it's pretty f*cking spectacular.

You get 1 helicopter card, like a get out of jail free card, in case you need to bail off a route that you can't walk down from. If you need to bail again, but you've already used it... game over!
 Kemics 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I know this isn't super helpful. But i think there's a copy of this game in the Don Whillan's hut at the Roaches. I remember playing it last year. There were magnet pitons and you had to use a fishing rod to move the climber between them? Not 100% but it sounds a lot like the game. Maybe someone on their next visit could let you know the name on the box?
 GrahamD 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Pete Houghton:

> You get 1 helicopter card, like a get out of jail free card, in case you need to bail off a route that you can't walk down from. If you need to bail again, but you've already used it... game over!

No "crawl down the Ogre" card, then ?

wercat 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:
I had that for Christmas in the Early 60s and it was a family favourite for a number of years. "Everest" was the name, can't remember the maker but I wonder if the same could be made and marketed now?

I must have been 5 or 6!

Item no 272992894446 on a fleabay site will find you one! "Everest" by Merit.
Post edited at 17:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...