UKC

/ Climbing characters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flinticus - on 08 Feb 2018

Browsing through some articles by Andy Pollitt on this site.

Lots of independently spirited and slightly crazy looking characters seemed to be at the forefront of climbing in the 70s/80s.

Will there be similar legends from the 2000-now period? Or has climbing simply been a victim of its own success? Society too well off now?

Ex Poster 666 - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

They're all toeing their sponsers' corporate lines.
The good old DHSS bumming days are long, long gone.

Pursued by a bear - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

> Browsing through some articles by Andy Pollitt on this site.

> Or has climbing simply been a victim of its own success? Society too well off now?

To the first of your questions, possibly; though no matter how popular indoor climbing becomes and no matter how busy the peak grit is on a sunny summer Sunday, there'll always be something about the wildness of the hills that calls to those who stand to one side of the mainstream.

To the second of your questions, no.

T.

Wiley Coyote2 - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Maybe doing crazy 'characterful' things while pissed out of your head involved long hours in the pub. Today's high-performing stars and Olympic hopefuls see themselves (and are described by sponsors) as athletes with strict training regimes to follow. I suspect 9c/E11 and training in the pub just  don't mix.

Timmd on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

> Maybe doing crazy 'characterful' things while pissed out of your head involved long hours in the pub. Today's high-performing stars and Olympic hopefuls see themselves (and are described by sponsors) as athletes with strict training regimes to follow. I suspect 9c/E11 and training in the pub just  don't mix.

That, and like Lusk says, climbers needing to keep anything nuts out of the public eye to keep sponsors happy too. I'm sure stuff happens, but we may not hear about it. I can remember Leo Houlding needing to manage his profile as he become more well known, issuing a statement that he wasn't on drugs when doing something or other, and didn't use them.  He seems like the hedonistic kind who might have dabbled, to me.

Post edited at 21:54
In reply to Timmd:

Him being 17 in 1997 in North Wales... definitely.

Stichtplate on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I remember some pretty wild free parties centred round the old slate workers cottages above Llanberis in the mid 90s.

Edit: well, sort of remember.

Post edited at 22:35
In reply to Stichtplate:

You around there at that time?

Ever know (fat chance but gotta ask) a Duncan Collier (might be Collyer). Lived on a kinda commune farm and was into BMX, skateboarding and a bit of climbing too. Last seen by me and my then Glasgow feiends in about 1999.

Stichtplate on 09 Feb 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry mate. Lots of people MIA from that time.

Flinticus - on 09 Feb 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

Too true. Few of my best friends from then gone AWOL. More is known about the dark side of the moon than their whereabouts.

eroica64 - on 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Does Ben have a dark side?

blurty - on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

The world of UK Caving still has some pretty wild characters

Stichtplate on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to blurty:

> The world of UK Caving still has some pretty wild characters

Yeah, but they've all gone underground.

Brass Nipples on 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Yeah, but they've all gone underground.

Overground, Wombling free.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.