UKC

Climbing should be the last Sport/Hobby to start!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CorBlimey 01 Jun 2020

I have recently been out for walks around popular climbing spots. 

The social distancing is an absolute joke! People (not together) touching the same holds within minutes of each other. Same household? No! 
People stood next to each other and not social distancing. 

I don’t believe I am wrong or overreacting when I say Climbing and climbers will be a large part of the oncoming second wave.

PaulJepson 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

Whilst I agree that restrictions were lifted too soon across the board, saying that climbers 'will be a large part of the oncoming second wave' is a bit ridiculous. 

Have a look into how the virus is transmitted and how it operates outside. It's difficult to get enough of a load in an outdoor environment to spread it. Any second wave will be mostly caused by people getting back on public transport, going back to the office, kids going back to school, and people generally being laxer with their social interactions. 

Think of it like a fart. If someone cuts one outside, you're pretty unlikely to get hit with enough of it to notice, unless it's very bad or they literally fart in your face (see: coughing or sneezing directly in your face). Covid will spread inside, where if someone cuts one then everyone in the vicinity gets a full nose-full. No one is going to go climbing with someone who is showing symptoms, and without symptoms it is very difficult for the virus to get around outside. In a more closed environment, people who aren't exhibiting symptoms can more easily infect those around them. 

Richard Horn 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

> I don’t believe I am wrong or overreacting when I say Climbing and climbers will be a large part of the oncoming second wave.

Without wishing to sound rude, this has got to be one of the daftest things I have read in the last few weeks. 

Alkis 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

> I don’t believe I am wrong or overreacting when I say Climbing and climbers will be a large part of the oncoming second wave.

You are overreacting and that is from someone who is certain we are lifting lockdown too early.

Cobra_Head 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Alkis:

> You are overreacting and that is from someone who is certain we are lifting lockdown too early.

Are you not under-reacting, from someone who isn't certain we're not lifting lockdown too early?

Both of these statements might be true, in one the virus doesn't spread and we don't get a second wave of deaths.

Have a guess which is which.

Route Adjuster 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

Troll, 1/10, although you've got some biters pretty quickly.

In reply to CorBlimey:

I sympathise but I don't think climbing should be last, indoor contact or close contact sports are probably those. Judo, wrestling, boxing squash. Outdoors, Rugby must be higher risk and sadly, everyone's favourite, dogging. 

You won't get far whistling in the wind in here though, far too many special soldiers, wearing their desire blinkers. 

Alkis 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Congratulations. Your statement is an impressive example of meaningless nonsense. 10/10.

We shouldn't open up lockdown yet. People should continue working from home. Vulnerable people should still be shielded. We need track and trace and mass testing for all to lift anything.

Saying that a few people sharing holds while climbing is going to cause a second peak, while we're reopening non-essential indoor shops, is patently bollocks.

Post edited at 16:10
 danieleaston 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

I can't think of many sport/ hobbies where there isn't some requirement for:

1. touching something within minutes of others

2. standing near to people

Except solitary sports/ hobbies such as fishing, which was the first to be allowed. I'm glad I'm not into rugby. Those guys really do touch the ball and stand near each other. a lot.

jimtitt 01 Jun 2020
In reply to danieleaston:

> I can't think of many sport/ hobbies where there isn't some requirement for:

> 1. touching something within minutes of others

> 2. standing near to people

> Except solitary sports/ hobbies such as fishing, which was the first to be allowed. I'm glad I'm not into rugby. Those guys really do touch the ball and stand near each other. a lot.

You don't do motorsport do you?

Blue Straggler 01 Jun 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

> You don't do motorsport do you?

Nor (laned) swimming, nor.....loads of stuff I can't be bothered to list  

Mr Lopez 01 Jun 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

> You don't do motorsport do you?

"Motorsport" is not a sport though

In reply to Mr Lopez:

> "Motorsport" is not a sport though

It is one of three approved of by Hemingway

PaulJepson 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I must admit I thought similar when I heard on the radio that restrictions to 'sports' were being relaxed, starting with Snooker and Horse-riding. 

The Lemming 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

Nice troll. But its been done a few weeks ago

Cobra_Head 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Alkis:

> Saying that a few people sharing holds while climbing is going to cause a second peak, while we're reopening non-essential indoor shops, is patently bollocks.

Of course, the virus could never be spread this way, it couldn't spread from one county to another by people driving somewhere to climb, you couldn't pass it on filling your car up on the way there or the way back. The general idea, we can all do what we want is the issue, not whether YOU will pick the virus up from a previous climber using the same hold.

The reasons you dismiss my OP are the exact reason why not only climbing shouldn't have free reign, but loads of other stuff shouldn't be happening.

We've got the highest death rate per capital, came into it late, coming out early, before we've got tracing in place of the number of cases down. Look at the rest of Europe and see how it's going for them, we're in nowhere near as good a shape as anywhere there, and yet we're relaxing more than them!

You seem very certain this won't happen, which is patently bollocks, because in reality you have no idea.

I notice you dodged my question, bravo.

Mark Kemball 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Route Adjuster:

> Troll, 1/10,

Yes as trolls go, it's a good one, including no replies from the op!

Timmd 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> I sympathise but I don't think climbing should be last, indoor contact or close contact sports are probably those. Judo, wrestling, boxing squash. Outdoors, Rugby must be higher risk and sadly, everyone's favourite, dogging. 

> You won't get far whistling in the wind in here though, far too many special soldiers, wearing their desire blinkers. 

I had a (very) tentative boulder at Burbage shortly after lock down started, and felt so guilty at the thought of injuring myself and unknowingly giving medical staff covid19 that I couldn't live with myself & the idea of continuing. Indoor climbing walls are possibly going to be a good way of spreading it given the lack of strong direct sunlight to kill the bacteria during the summer.

Post edited at 18:14
 danieleaston 01 Jun 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Fair point

Trevers 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

Johnson and Cummings are lining the climbing community up to take the rap for the second wave, after Cummings stumbled across the UKC forums and discovered our widespread contempt for him.

Post edited at 18:46
 bouldery bits 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

Crikey. 

Hope you don't see the surfers....

Alkis 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

I didn't dismiss it, I called bullshit on it, in terms of numbers. I did not say that it cannot be transmitted that way, it probably can. For a pandemic you need critical mass. Individual cases in a limited size community when we are literally about to flood the country with interpersonal contact, is the comparison I am making, so I maintain: bollocks.

Note: I haven't even been climbing, in case you are thinking I am making excuses for my own behaviour.

Luke90 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

> Same household? No!

It's a small point in amongst the rest of the nonsense but how on Earth did you come to this conclusion?

I can't think of many realistic scenarios where you can tell that a group of people definitely don't live together just by watching them as you walk past. Like the rest of your post, it seems like it relies entirely on pessimistic assumptions.

CorBlimey 01 Jun 2020

🎣

PaulJepson 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Trevers:

> Johnson and Cummings are lining the climbing community up to take the rap for the second wave, after Cummings stumbled across the UKC forums and discovered our widespread contempt for him.

Rubbish, I'm pretty sure I saw Cummings climbing on the South Side of Cheddar Gorge yesterday.  

deacondeacon 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

> 🎣

Hilarious. If you are fishing you're a bigger prick than first thought. Joking about a virus that's still killing over 100 people a day. What fun! 

Trevers 01 Jun 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Rubbish, I'm pretty sure I saw Cummings climbing on the South Side of Cheddar Gorge yesterday.  

That's part of the plan

rgd1977 01 Jun 2020
In reply to CorBlimey:

Yes you are massively overreacting and maybe a bit hysterical. Good luck on your mental recovery. 

In reply to a concerned citizen:

> It is one of three approved of by Hemingway

... yes... there are only three sports... Motor Racing, Mountaineering and Bull Fighting... all the rest are merely games...

In reply to Presley Whippet:

> I sympathise but I don't think climbing should be last, indoor contact or close contact sports are probably those. Judo, wrestling, boxing squash. Outdoors, Rugby must be higher risk and sadly, everyone's favourite, dogging. 

I have been thinking about how to classify these sports:

Competetive Cuddling? 

I will get my coat. 

In reply to PaulJepson:

I think he was spotted here a few weeks ago.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/kepier-1129

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...