UKC

Comedians who swear, why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 10 Feb 2013
Either I am getting old or I don't understand why comediens swear in every feking sentence when the swear word isn't even associated with the punchline.

What's that all about?
 ThunderCat 10 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

F*ck knows.
 toad 10 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: swearing is always, always funny. It is!
Removed User 10 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Judging by your posts over the years you've been old for quite a while now.

ThunderCat 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed User:

I just heard Andrew Lawrence use the word Kuntidinous Fu*ktard. I don't think there's any other combination of non-sweary words that could convey such depth of feeling, is there?
In reply to The Lemming:

> What's that all about?

Chickentown, evidently.

T.
http://www.cyberspike.com/clarke/chicktow.html
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Although strictly speaking, he's a f*cking poet.

T.
 paul-1970 10 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
I always joyfully enjoy my mother's response to sweary people on the TV: "But there's no NEED for it". As if the protagonist had actually pre-designerd the need for the "f*ck" before the main sentence.
Removed User 10 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

I first saw Andrew Lawrence on Stand up for the Week, and I warmed to him over time, now I think he is an exceptionally good comedian. Have Youtubed lots of his stuff, and the sketch about his mother being in the audience is very good. And yes his use of KF and the way he delivers it is just right.

Another comedian that I saw on Stand up for the Week, Paul Chowdhry, does rile me though. His opening line "What's up white people?" is a bit of a reverse racism, not sure if it is intended to be! Nevertheless, he gets away with it. Probably annoys me more than most swearing. Perhaps I'm getting old as well!!
 Steve Perry 10 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

From the most foul mouthed comedian,

"Morning Chubby you big fat B**tard"

"Morning vicar"

Still makes me chuckle.
 pork pie girl 10 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: quite like the swearing really.. doens't offendme unless i'm being sweared at in an aggressive manner.

got to admit there as some briilant swear words that really help you make a point.
 ThunderCat 10 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Removed UserThunderCat)
>
> I first saw Andrew Lawrence on Stand up for the Week, and I warmed to him over time, now I think he is an exceptionally good comedian. Have Youtubed lots of his stuff, and the sketch about his mother being in the audience is very good. And yes his use of KF and the way he delivers it is just right.
>

I heard him on Radio 4. Built up a picture of him as a little old man in my head and then youtubed him...

Odd looking chap, aint he! (but very funny)
ice.solo 10 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

because comedy without swearing feels sanitized
OP The Lemming 10 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Little Miss Lemming forced me to watch Lee Evans live and every other word was fek this, fek that, fekthe other. There was no comedic reason for most of the choice of word beyond throwing it into every sentance uttered.
Removed User 10 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to rocky57)
> [...]
>
> I heard him on Radio 4. Built up a picture of him as a little old man in my head and then youtubed him...
>
> Odd looking chap, aint he! (but very funny)

I think he called his tour "Too ugly for Television", or something like that, I guess you can see why.
In reply to The Lemming: Lee Evans; not amusing. Lord knows why he's popular.

T.
In reply to The Lemming: Bill Bailey doesn't swear.
 Timmd 10 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> because comedy without swearing feels sanitized

I don't agree, quirky obscure or fresh ways of looking at life is what comedy is often about, and this needn't involve swearing.

It can definately help convey a feeling about a situation, but you can have good comedy without it I think.
Removed User 10 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Watch Peter Capaldi in 'In the Thick of It' and tell me that is not f*cking funny.

Good swearing is a art form. No one gets off on prudishness however...
ice.solo 11 Feb 2013

yup.

likewise, compare the young ones on telly to the live shows. the former is funny, the latter hysterical.

un-swearing comedy, of course can still be funny, but im always left thinking how theyd have said it if they included swearing.
needvert 11 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:
>
> F*ck knows.

I laughed.

Clarence 11 Feb 2013
> (In reply to The Lemming) Watch Peter Capaldi in 'In the Thick of It' and tell me that is not f*cking funny.

It is not f*cking funny.

I struggle with The Thick of It, I occasionally find it brilliant but the nuggets are very sparse and most of the time I long for Tucker to just drop dead. Not because of the language but because I have grown to despise most of the characters. I don't think that swearing has the same shock value that it did in the early 80s, something that was brilliantly reinvigorated by Father Ted and "feck", which wasn't the "f" word (you know, the bad "f" word as mrs Doyle says).
 EeeByGum 11 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: I have always held this line. Some of the funniest comedians don't swear, don't need to talk about sex and are not rude or blue in any manor whatsoever. I think those who feel the need to swear are looking for the shock appeal to heighten their humour. It is not necessary.
 GridNorth 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
> "Morning Chubby you big fat B**tard"
>
> "Morning vicar"
>
> Still makes me chuckle.

Sorry for the hijack but this reminded me of a guy I climbed with back in the late 60's, I think his name was Rod Brownridge, but don't hold me to that. Every ascent was accompanied by a string of foul mouthed expletives. One day over an apres climb cup of tea I asked him what he did for a living. Yes you have guessed it he was a Vicar.

To those of you who say that swearing is a good way of making a point I would agree but there comes a time when that no longer works if over used and our society is definitely suffering from that at the moment.
ice.solo 11 Feb 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:

tho a fan of swearing, i agree with this very much - swearing to shock is very flaccid. and agree too that swearing to insult, offend or appear tough is also boring.

but thats where swearing i fnd is its funniest - when its used in its most pointless context.

indeed, the funniest moment in film history for me is the line in Intermission where Colm Meanys character gets so carried away with his idea for a cop docu-drama he wants to call it 'Hardcore C-nts'.

f*cking gold!
Wiley Coyote2 11 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

It makes me laugh (sic) when I see modern comics pontificating about the sexist/racist old tv shows like On the Buses and Love Thy Neighbour while effing and blinding about it. It's as if they don't realise that in 30 years' time when the pendulum has swung back - as pendulums are wont to do - one of their younger successors will probably be pontificating about all the lame old comics who needed to swear to make people laugh. In his live stuff even dear old Sorry I Haven't a Clue cuddly Jeremy Hardy uses a lot of F-words. He denies this and says he just uses one, though he admits he uses it a lot.
The only time I can recall the F word being vital to a joke was when the usually very unfunny FRankie Boyle was on about the cost of the Olympics. He said: "They say the Olympics will be a national statement but if that's all you want then for £12bn you could write F*ck off Germany' on the Moon"
 LastBoyScout 11 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Agreed - drives me up the wall. Went to a comedy club for our office Christmas bash and every 3rd word was "F**k", or thereabouts.

Really liked Al Murray on TV, so bought one of his DVDs - went right off him after all the swearing.

Oddly, though, I really like Kevin "Bloody" Wilson, but as he's Australian, it doesn't seem so offensive - although he's a lot funnier than a lot of other so-called comedians.
 Ava Adore 11 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Went to see Chris Stokes on Saturday who was very funny. Fell about laughing at the following:

"My uncle wants me to get a proper job but my wife is quite happy with my little comedy thing.

I'd prefer she call it my penis...."

Fraser 11 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Didn't Frank Skinner decide a couple of years ago to eliminate swearing from his act when he finally realised he didn't need to do it to get a laugh? I'm no prude and swear as much as the next peson, but I expect a decent comedian to have sussed out his/her delivery without requiring half a dozen swear words per sentence. I've seen them do it and it's inevitably the lame ones who swear more.
 Timmd 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Fraser:How much did Spike Milligan swear? He was a genius and I don't he swore, or quite rarely, it's creativity which counts in the end.
 Timmd 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd: ...'don't think'..
 Steve Perry 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Fraser)How much did Spike Milligan swear? He was a genius and I don't he swore, or quite rarely, it's creativity which counts in the end.

Same with Ken Dodd

Timmd 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: Or Robbin Williams?
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Fraser)How much did Spike Milligan swear? He was a genius and I don't he swore, or quite rarely, it's creativity which counts in the end.

Fist thing that sprung to my mind when i read that was "The little grovelling bastard". I well delivered swear word if ever there was one.

youtube.com/watch?v=TkOAUht3G5o&
 SCC 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Steve Perry) Or Robbin Williams?

Try watching some of his live stuff - sweary as a sweary thing.

But funny.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...