UKC

Committed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Astropath 01 Oct 2021

Morning , 

I've only gone and done it.  I've cancelled my gym membership and taken out a DD membership down the local wall .  There is a great deal on right now . 20 quid for the first month and 39 quid for each month following .  Climb anytime any day !

Superb 

I'm going to spend the winter getting better than I've ever been.  

In your face aging human body!

AP

 gethin_allen 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Astropath:

Just don't go nuts in the first month and get injured.

 chris_r 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Astropath:

Great choice, you won't regret it. Hope you find a few good partners to climb with, it can make it a lot more fun and you can spur each other on.

 Astropath 01 Oct 2021
In reply to chris_r:

> Great choice, you won't regret it. Hope you find a few good partners to climb with, it can make it a lot more fun and you can spur each other on.

I already have a few new friends I climb with now . Getting a little climbing posse together like the good old days.

Its the social aspect that is particularly beneficial right now . After a good climb and chat you don't feel so cut off and lonely in this crazy place we find ourselves in .

:-D

 Timmd 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Astropath:

The colourful walls and holds can be boost in the winter gloom too. Deffo take it steady-ish climbing.

 Astropath 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> The colourful walls and holds can be boost in the winter gloom too. Deffo take it steady-ish climbing.

I'd never considered that aspect . 

Definitely 

In reply to Astropath:

Nice one. Family and work and doing other stuff put a hold on my climbing career, and my dodgy back doesn’t help (currently laid up), but jealous of anyone cracking on with it. Perhaps one day.....I still dream, especially of steep water ice and thunky placements and being miles from my last screw....

In reply to Timmd:

> The colourful walls and holds can be boost in the winter gloom too.

Currently, one part of RockOver in Manchester looks like a brightly coloured sweetie shop.

 Timmd 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

I remember (as a 15 year old) not quite knowing what to make of some friendly older guys at The Foundry talking about wishing they'd taken some acid before visiting, given the colourful walls and climbing clothing. 

Post edited at 14:58
 henwardian 01 Oct 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Just don't go nuts in the first month and get injured.

Don't go nuts in the first week and get injured!
I recently got membership of my local wall and on about session 3 pulled about as hard as my mind thought I still could but this was harder than my wasted body could safely achieve! Luckily I got away with just a few days of mild discomfort.

 ThunderCat 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Astropath:

Can I just echo what a few others have said... Take it easy and don't go apeshit and hurt yourself. I've been building it up slowly over the past few months but visited a new gym last week which had a set of monkey bars on the ceiling. Obviously I couldn't resist it and jumped up, felt a stab of pain in both my Achilles tendons. Realised immediately that I'd not been on monkey bars since junior school and that in the 35 years since then, someone has turned gravity up considerably so I had to let go after about 0.5 of a second. I now find that I've wrecked my shoulder and can't raise my arm. I'm limping. I'm ruined. I'm old. 

Post edited at 18:45
 Astropath 02 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Can I just echo what a few others have said... Take it easy and don't go apeshit and hurt yourself. I've been building it up slowly over the past few months but visited a new gym last week which had a set of monkey bars on the ceiling. Obviously I couldn't resist it and jumped up, felt a stab of pain in both my Achilles tendons. Realised immediately that I'd not been on monkey bars since junior school and that in the 35 years since then, someone has turned gravity up considerably so I had to let go after about 0.5 of a second. I now find that I've wrecked my shoulder and can't raise my arm. I'm limping. I'm ruined. I'm old. 

I hope you recover soon.  Your not old. 

AP

In reply to Astropath:

The Unit I guess? 

I've just realised i've been taking it easy post-lockdown too much and I'm not actually stuck at a plateau, I just haven't been trying hard enough. Cruised some stuff I thought was my limit and was able to make decent progress on problems I thought were a grade beyond me. Going to be in try hard mode for winter! 

Post edited at 21:29
 ThunderCat 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Astropath:

> I hope you recover soon.  Your not old. 

> AP

Haha. I sat down with my granddaughter today trying to explain what a cassette was, and how it was something we used to listed to music on before CDs, and she looked confused and asked me what a CD was. So yeah. I'm old. 😂😂😂

In reply to ThunderCat:

Maybe you should show her pictures of cathode ray tube TVs (unless you've got one handy to show the reality) - "what's the rest of it for?"

 ThunderCat 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Mate, we spent today trying to explain to her why we don't need Alexa in our house to turn the lights off and on, and how we use something called "light switches" instead. 

She's 4, bless her. Alexa is all she's ever known

 Astropath 03 Oct 2021
In reply to midgen:

> The Unit I guess? 

Indeed so . 

 Baron Weasel 03 Oct 2021
In reply to Astropath:

Excellent! I started doing the same as i work next to my local wall and do 25mins every lunchtime. 

As others have said watch out for injury, I had pain in my elbows which needed me to do press ups for the antagonist muscles and I also pulled a ring pulley in my finger trying something too hard. 

Overall though I find it really good for mental health and also preventing back pain.

 Astropath 03 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Haha. I sat down with my granddaughter today trying to explain what a cassette was, and how it was something we used to listed to music on before CDs, and she looked confused and asked me what a CD was. So yeah. I'm old. 😂😂😂

Back in the day I used to listen to tunes on those engraved stone tablets. 

🤣

 ThunderCat 03 Oct 2021
In reply to Astropath:

> Back in the day I used to listen to tunes on those engraved stone tablets. 

> 🤣

Wax cylinders mate. They're the way forward

In reply to ThunderCat:

> Can I just echo what a few others have said... Take it easy and don't go apeshit and hurt yourself. I've been building it up slowly over the past few months but visited a new gym last week which had a set of monkey bars on the ceiling. Obviously I couldn't resist it and jumped up, felt a stab of pain in both my Achilles tendons. Realised immediately that I'd not been on monkey bars since junior school and that in the 35 years since then, someone has turned gravity up considerably so I had to let go after about 0.5 of a second. I now find that I've wrecked my shoulder and can't raise my arm. I'm limping. I'm ruined. I'm old. 

I remember being able to go back and forth on MBs almost without feeling any fatigue when I were a lad. We had some at school and I think I managed something like 26 'laps' - a class record at the time. I could even miss out 1 or 2 bars between bars, if you know what I mean.

I tried MBs about a year ago. Felt like I was wearing metal shoes and someone had installed an underground bond-villan grade magnet.

It's the feeling you get under your pits that gets you, you know, the one which feels like you're in some medieval torture device and that somehow your limbs are about to detach.

In reply to ThunderCat:

> Mate, we spent today trying to explain to her why we don't need Alexa in our house to turn the lights off and on, and how we use something called "light switches" instead. 

> She's 4, bless her. Alexa is all she's ever known

Wow, that really is an indication of the direction things are going in - latest incarnation of kids being totally at home with technology they grow up with whereas their parents/grandparents struggle (getting your kids to program the video-recorder being an early example within living memory).

 chris_r 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Wow, that really is an indication of the direction things are going in - latest incarnation of kids being totally at home with technology they grow up with whereas their parents/grandparents struggle.

I vividly remember watching my 4 year old trying to turn to the next page in a magazine. She was swiping the page.

In reply to Astropath:

Welcome (back) to climbing.  But make sure you keep some cardio in there too, e.g. run or cycle to the wall.  Climbing gets you strong but doesn't do a lot for cardio fitness.

Post edited at 13:47
 ThunderCat 04 Oct 2021
In reply to chris_r:

Pal at work found a 3 1/2 inch floppy disc in an old drawer and took it home.  One of his kids asked why he had brought back  "a plastic save icon"

 Timmd 10 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'm thinking that when I tell my nephew and nieces that there were no mobile phones or internet when I was small, they'll have a similar 'Really?' to mine, when my parents told me about how simple/basic life was when they were young. 

In reply to Astropath:

For the Emperor!  Well done AP hope you turn into a monster!

 Astropath 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Bobling:

> For the Emperor!  Well done AP hope you turn into a monster!

Thank you Bobbling.  

I hope you are well my friend.

AP


This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...