UKC

Conservatory Guttering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 18 Jul 2018

I'm hoping somebody might be able to come up with a solution to this.

On the back of our house we have a conservatory and I've noticed on many occasions that the rain water in the gutter is very slow to drain away-if at all- via the down pipe. In plan view the guttering forms a U shape and there is only one down pipe which is at the extremity of one side of the U.

Unless I "slosh" the rain water into the down pipe I finish up with about an 1.5 centimetres of water stagnating in the gutter. The guttering seems to form part of the uPVC frame work of the conservatory and is immovable.

I checked the gutter today with a spirit level and instead of inclining down towards the down pipe it actually goes the other way. The spirit level is a metre long and when I "levelled" it the slope was about a centimetre in that distance.

Short of keep having to mop out the guttering has anyone got any ideas about a long term remedy.

It doesn't appear practical to instal anothe down pipe at the other end.

elsewhere 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

This might be a really dumb idea...

fill with a levelling compound to the 1.5cm depth of the stagnating water 

Bellie 19 Jul 2018

If you can get some guttering of the same colour but miniline, you could sit it inside and raise the end enough to create the required slope. Im sure there wont be too much water to overwhelm and spill over into the original. Or if you can get a piece of guttering in the same size, it should still sit inside without looking too odd.

Post edited at 08:47
 wintertree 19 Jul 2018

Assuming you can’t move the mounting brackets vertically to change the slope, can you shim the gutter up?  If it’s a half-circle cross section you should be able to use short (a few cm) sections of matching profile guttering.  It’ll look shonky and might need a bodge to stay secure...

Of Some treated timber shims between the fixing points for the brackets and the brackets?

I feckin hate guttering.  It looks like it should be so simple...

Removed User 19 Jul 2018
In reply to wintertree:

> Assuming you can’t move the mounting brackets vertically to change the slope, can you shim the gutter up?  If it’s a half-circle cross section you should be able to use short (a few cm) sections of matching profile guttering.

No, as I mentioned the guttering is molded into the structure of the conservatory and there are no brackets as with conventional guttering

wintertree 19 Jul 2018

> No, as I mentioned the guttering is molded into the structure of the conservatory and there are no brackets as with conventional guttering

I thought it seemed too obvious!  I understand better from this description.

Gutter in a gutter!  There’s a bodge to be proud off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...