UKC

Covid - mum and baby groups

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jkarran 15 Oct 2020

Does anyone happen to know how I might search the gov website more productively for the covid law and guidelines around mum and baby groups, what is necessary to safely and legally run one (with any extensions/relaxations to the basic covid restrictions)?

Cheers, jk

mick taylor 15 Oct 2020
In reply to jkarran:

Off the top of my head, even in tier two areas, support groups are allowed with social distancing. It would be about deciding whether it is a support group (they cite drug support groups etc).  You would need to follow up he business section of Covid safe stuff. I’ve done it for my work, will have a gander in a mo,

mick taylor 15 Oct 2020
In reply to jkarran:

stuff on here about community groups and buildings

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-the-safe-u...

OP jkarran 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Thanks Mick, for some reason I was only finding after-school club info with my searches, I knew someone would know what to look for!

jk

OP jkarran 15 Oct 2020
In reply to jkarran:

Actually, that usefully covers the spaces they might use (6 person rule looks problematic) but if I've understood right mum and baby activity groups can be bigger than six (useful since the babies count!). I'll keep trawling but if it rings any bells with anyone, please chip in, I currently have a pretty glum wife looking at a rather lonely winter of mat' leave suddenly cut off from her support network but it may not need to be.

jk

mick taylor 15 Oct 2020
In reply to jkarran:

specific stuff here on parent and toddler groups. The focus is on church buildings etc, but I’ve seen it written elsewhere.  Basically, they’re allowed  

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-the-safe-u....

OP jkarran 15 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Thanks again Mick, basically I'm trying to figure out how she and her friends can run their own group(s) to, within guidelines, keep providing each other with the support network they've built.

jk

Si dH 15 Oct 2020
In reply to jkarran:

These are the actual regulations for high and very high, although I think they might be the same in this respect. The law is often not easy to read, but the list of restrictions and exceptions in the schedules at the back are not too bad:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1105/schedule/1/made

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1104/schedule/1/made

The exception to the restrictions on gatherings for support groups is with the caveat that they are a maximum 15 people and are not held in a private dwelling. Notably it defines a support group as follows:

“support group” means a group which is organised by a business, a charitable, benevolent or philanthropic institution or a public body to provide mutual aid, therapy or any other form of support to its members or those who attend its meetings, for example those providing support...(includes to new parents)

So I think it requires that the event is organised by one of the above. It's intended to allow things like NCT to keep running. You can't just get together informally with your friends as I read it. I don't know how easy it is to set up a charitable or benevolent institution...

Post edited at 21:49
OP jkarran 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Si dH:

They are mostly the remnants of an NCT group so that's one possible avenue. We'll have to have a look at the other options, see if there's a practical alternative. Thanks for the links. 

Jk

mick taylor 15 Oct 2020
In reply to jkarran:

Setting up a small charity is very easy. Just ask, I can give guidance (done loads).

OP jkarran 16 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> Setting up a small charity is very easy. Just ask, I can give guidance (done loads).

Thanks Mick, if it comes to that I will. I guess currently the covid rules are so volatile it'll be hard to keep ahead of them.

jk

neilh 16 Oct 2020
In reply to jkarran:

Ask Mumsnet. Lol. 

Matt Podd 16 Oct 2020
In reply to jkarran:

You should refer to them as Baby/toddler groups. Mum and baby groups puts off dads, gannies etc. Sorry for this but I was a Dad who was primary carer and then ran a Children's centre and we encouraged whoever was looking after the kids to come along,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...