UKC

Craft-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cobra_Head 22 Nov 2020

I'll just leave this here

https://twitter.com/Craft_D/status/1322221687866380289

Whatever you think of him, a lot of people have a lot of admiration for him, there aren't many other MPs you could say that about.

john arran 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Admiration for policies is one thing, and to be applauded. But if in a position of leadership, and proven unable to deal with the ammunition the 'other side' and the press are able and only too willing to throw at him, he simply is the wrong person for the job.

Harsh but true.

OP Cobra_Head 22 Nov 2020
In reply to john arran:

> Admiration for policies is one thing, and to be applauded. But if in a position of leadership, and proven unable to deal with the ammunition the 'other side' and the press are able and only too willing to throw at him, he simply is the wrong person for the job.

> Harsh but true.

I agree, though not sure whether the fault lies solely at his door. I don't think he was leader material, but he did seem to offer hope of a change, at one point. I think a lot of people latched onto that, which is why  a lot of people still like him.

In reply to john arran:

He delivered 13million votes and was only prevented from becoming PM in 2017 by fraud where right wing staff in his own party secretly diverted resources during the campaign. 

The assault on democracy that took place within Labour in 2017 goes far beyond political ammunition. It's borderline criminal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leak-report-corbyn-el...  "Anti-Corbyn Labour officials worked to lose general election to oust leader, leaked dossier finds"

Its yet to be seen whether his replacement can deliver 13million votes but his ratings are slipping now people are seeing him for what he is.

Rob Exile Ward 24 Nov 2020
In reply to cumbria mammoth:

Pure tinfoil hat, conspiracy theory, fantastical paranoid ravings.

Corbyn has rarely said or propagated any policy that the entire Labour party hasn't generally supported over the last 50 years. Nuclear weapons, of course, the Iraq war - but these hardly make him the Messiah, they were always controversial within the Party.

The difference was that his childishness, his lack of communication skills, his paranoia, his petulance and his lack of judgement meant that we were less likely to see such policies implemented than at any time since 1951. Your assessment of his character and contribution is really way off the mark - equivalent to thinking that Trump is any sort of political philosopher.

In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

There's no substance to your dismissal of the evidence here. You're just burying your head in the sand and it baffles me why because it was your own efforts and money that these right wing Labour staff abused to prevent a left wing Labour PM. Despite being undermined internally Corbyn delivered 13 million votes (40% of the vote share) in Labour's best electoral performance, in terms of numbers of voters since 1997.

If those misdirected resources had been used in swing seats instead of wasting them bolstering votes for safe Labour right MP's we would have had a Labour PM implenting the policies you wish to see.

Post edited at 09:28
Removed User 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Regrettably, as well as carrying a Palestinian flag he's also carried a wreath for terrorists.

Never understood his appeal really. Much of the gushing praise sounds more like the type of stuff teenyboppers say about their idol.

He moved politics to the left in Britain which is good but it's also good that things have moved on and Labour have decided to be serious about getting elected again.

OP Cobra_Head 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> Never understood his appeal really. Much of the gushing praise sounds more like the type of stuff teenyboppers say about their idol.

I've never understood why so many so vehemently hate him, I know a lot of my home town friends didn't like his supposed IRA terrorist sympathies, which to me never made sense, given his life long pacifist and anti-war stance.

I liked his policies, I thought he was a reasonable bloke and honest, I don't think he was leader material, but I also think if Labour MPs had supported him from the beginning instead of trying to oust him, he might, just might have made a good PM. But that was never going to happen, I remember seeing a TV program with Steven Kinnock prior to the election and he was almost willing himself to lose, to prove he was right about Corbyn, he ended up winning! He was so torn about it he couldn't talk, his Mrs had to talk for him.

> He moved politics to the left in Britain which is good but it's also good that things have moved on and Labour have decided to be serious about getting elected again.

Hopefully so, I'm still a bit pissed off the way it seems to be the media which had a massive influence on his going and it was nowt to do with his policies more about what they could blame him for. A better politician might have been able to fight against them.

Removed User 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

People didn't like him because they didn't think he was on Britain's side. His comments on the Skripal poisonings in Salisbury were particularly outrageous.

MonkeyPuzzle 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

The problem is many of his supporters in the Labour party clearly would rather take the party down in response to any perceived slight to him than focussing on how to best get progressive policies out to the people who need them via a Labour government. This personality cult is definitely notable but it's of zero use to the people really suffering under this current government.

OP Cobra_Head 25 Nov 2020
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> The problem is many of his supporters in the Labour party clearly would rather take the party down in response to any perceived slight to him than focussing on how to best get progressive policies out to the people who need them via a Labour government. This personality cult is definitely notable but it's of zero use to the people really suffering under this current government.

Replace supporters with detractors and your post reads equally true and for many that's exactly what happened.

I'm no great fan but, I'm not sure it's all about personality, and I really don't understand the hatred.

OP Cobra_Head 25 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> People didn't like him because they didn't think he was on Britain's side. His comments on the Skripal poisonings in Salisbury were particularly outrageous.

Oh Christ, this is turning into me defending him again.

Wasn't his take on Skripal, one of making sure we had evidence before casting aspersions. IIRC he wanted proof it was the Russians before blaming them.

I might be wrong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...