UKC

Craig Charles - Radio 6

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Thank the stars that Shaun Keaveny's off the Radio now.

After originally not minding him , I soon got frustrated by the low energy, repetitive segway's , generally naff talk and pitiful sense of humour employed .

Craig has already made afternoons less annoying at work.

Thanks Craig.  

PS: stay off that crack mate.

AP

ianstevens 19 Oct 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

What. Keavney was literally the best thing about daytime 6 music. Craig Charles is good for sure, but it would have been much, much better to have them both and get rid of one of the other bores *cough* lamacq *cough*

In reply to ianstevens:

> What. Keavney was literally the best thing about daytime 6 music. Craig Charles is good for sure, but it would have been much, much better to have them both and get rid of one of the other bores *cough* lamacq *cough*

I fail to agree .  What part of him did you like ?

Ridge 19 Oct 2021

I can't comment, I really enjoy Anita Rani on R2. That's my street cred blown.

gethin_allen 19 Oct 2021

Craig Charles is ok in small doses but I really don't think the afternoon slot on 6 music is the correct spot for him.

lanky 19 Oct 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

Totally agree, channels gone well downhill.

midgen 19 Oct 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

I only listening evenings and weekends, I do find Riley and to a lesser extent Lamacq a bit soporific musically, very samey.

Ravenscroft, Gideon Coe, Tom Robinson, Iggy all great though, i find so much new and interesting music through them! Honourable mention to the weekend daytime slots like Huey...Jamz Supernova has been a great addition too, love her show.

Kryank 19 Oct 2021

Bring back Radcliffe and Maconie! I still miss their afternoon slot! I don’t mind Lamacq always liked most of his music choices, but I really struggle with Mary Anne Hobbs, I really like her and loved her shows previously but I can’t seem to get on with the mid morning weekday show she does.

may be my age though! 😂

neilh 19 Oct 2021
In reply to midgen:

I enjoy amie lemay or however you spell it .Shaun annoyed me. Lemaq well past his sell by date. 

not a big fan of iggy his tastes chop and change every track and there is no theme just extremes. Although I get where he is coming from I find it to hard to listen to.

ravenscroft got the role because of his dad. Just do not like that when there are probably a lot of good alternatives out there. Do not like the bbc when they do that type of thing. 

A great station. Thank goodness it was saved. 

Post edited at 18:26
 Wimlands 19 Oct 2021

It does seem to be an odd replacement…I like Craig but surely a younger DJ such as Jamz Supernova would have been the way forward ?

summo 19 Oct 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> I can't comment, I really enjoy Anita Rani on R2. That's my street cred blown.

The problem is most younger stand ins come across as trying too hard to be something they aren't or to copy the usual host. They should just relax and be themselves. But yes, she's more bearable than Sara Cox. 

I thought Sean was great, gutted he went really. The generally naff talk and pitiful sense of humour being just to my taste. Lots of others I enjoy more for the music though. 

Jack Frost 19 Oct 2021

Sad to hear Shaun go, but not too disappointed in Craig Charles as a replacement. I was slightly surprised to hear him say today on his show "I'm here for the foreseeable until they boot me off". Someone who is committed to his new show shouldn't be saying that in public

Post edited at 20:04
 Moacs 19 Oct 2021

> Thank the stars that Shaun Keaveny's off the Radio now.

> After originally not minding him , I soon got frustrated by the low energy, repetitive segway's , generally naff talk and pitiful sense of humour employed .

And he turned up time and again on one of those silly two-wheeled electric carts, shedding apostrophes as he went.

Ridge 19 Oct 2021
In reply to Moacs:

ISWYDT

Forest Dump 20 Oct 2021
In reply to midgen:

Agreed on the Jams Supernova, also quite like Mary Anne Hobbes mornings. Sean Keavney was excellent first thing in the morning, but didn't quite work in an afternoon slot

Whats the dude that does the early morning slot? He needs a more civilised gig

In reply to Jack Frost:

> Sad to hear Shaun go, but not too disappointed in Craig Charles as a replacement. I was slightly surprised to hear him say today on his show "I'm here for the foreseeable until they boot me off". Someone who is committed to his new show shouldn't be saying that in public

I heard another long time presenter say he was on a 1 year rolling contract. I would imagine that if that is the case for Craig too he might feel he could be dropped if there is a change in the wind direction.

I really enjoyed CC in lockdown when he covered the early evening slot. Trunk of punk was my training soundtrack. The Saturday night show is great for kitchen dancing.

Good call and a bit of a shake, replacing morose humour with enthusiasm. 

snoop6060 20 Oct 2021

Steve lamacq makes me think Smooth FM ain't that bad.  Gid Coe, Mark Riley and Huey on Saturday morning are the only 3 that don't immediately make me want to switch stations. Jesus I'd even choose talk sport over some of them (my dab presets really do need a revisit admittedly). 

r0b 20 Oct 2021

Keaveny grew on me over the years, I like Craig Charles but not sure he's right for the afternoon slot. Mornings are good with Laurene Laverne and MAH, and I often catch up on Chris Hawkins who is very underrated IMHO. Lamacq should be put out to pasture.

mark s 20 Oct 2021

I was a 6 music man, but planet rock has taken over and rekindled my love of rock music 

Anti-faff 20 Oct 2021
In reply to Forest Dump:

Chris Hawkins, I agree, he’s dead good. 

I liked Sean Keaveny but got a bit tired of him in the afternoon. I can’t stand Craig Charles though, I’ve seen him live a couple of times and he was awful. After the first gig I assumed he was just cracked off his tits but he was equally bad the second time around. Never again. 

ali k 20 Oct 2021

The person currently standing in for Lauren Laverne in the mornings is truly awful.

lorentz 20 Oct 2021
In reply to Anti-faff:

+1 for Chris Hawkins.

He was good standing in for SK before CC kicked in over the last fortnight. He's also great early, early on those mornings when up with the sparrows. Not overly chatty, enthusiastic without being OTT and a great song selection.

As someone else said, I've defected in part to Planet (Dad) Rock on long car journeys (though I dip back to 6 music during the ads.) I find there are certain presenters on 6music now who literally make me scream "just stop talking!!" I think it's probably me getting older and grumpier, but Steve Lamacq grinds my gears. I like Giles Peterson's musical output but he winds me up as a presenter. To cool for school, to many glo''al stop dropped Ts. 

For me the jury is still out for Craig Charles in the afternoon slot. I like his energy and enthusiasm, but I'm not overly into the whole trunk of funk thing musically.

Tom Ravenscroft, Mary-Ann Hobbs, Huey, Radcliffe and Maconie, Guy Garvey, Iggy Pop, Lauren Laverne all still make 6Music  the best station there is out there though. Jamz Supernova knows a good tune too.

guffers_hump 20 Oct 2021

Shaun Keaveny was best in the morning, afternoons definitely not the one.

Chris Hawkins is Brilliant.

I can't handle Lauren Laverne though she talk too much about emotions at 07:30 in the morning.

Mary Anne Hobbs is cool, but sometimes too cool for mid morning.

Nemone is good when she is on the replacement in the days.

Radcliffe and Maconie moving from the afternoon in the week was a disgrace. I'd be in hysterics multiple times with those guys. 

Oh yes and if Steve Lamacq could blow his nose and sod off please.

Or put Mark and Lard on that would be top.

Post edited at 11:35
 guffers_hump 20 Oct 2021
In reply to lorentz:

Isn't it the trunk of punk that he brings?

lorentz 20 Oct 2021
In reply to guffers_hump:

Trunk of funk on a Saturday night... Think the Trunk of Punk was a lockdown exclusive. I'd be down for that on a daily basis to be fair. Gobbing and pogoing across my kitchen  much more my scene that actually being able to "groove" with any actual rhythm. 

Edit : Agree about Nemone. She's great. Like her dance and electronica themed playlist. Her electric ladyland show is often selected via Sounds App for long journeys too

Post edited at 11:40
 guffers_hump 20 Oct 2021
In reply to lorentz:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0010wk0

If you skip to 2:11:50 you will find it is the Trunk of Punk!.

lorentz 20 Oct 2021
In reply to guffers_hump:

It was always trunk of funk on my Saturday evening journeys home from work... Just had a look at playlist on that show on that Sounds link. All good stuff! Will try tune in later on.

Siward 20 Oct 2021

I enjoyed the Open Arms pub, especially during lockdown I thought it a great little place to have a pint 🙂

In reply to lorentz:

> It was always trunk of funk on my Saturday evening journeys home from work... Just had a look at playlist on that show on that Sounds link. All good stuff! Will try tune in later on.

The Saturday show is "The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show" so trunk of funk. When he sat in for Lamacq he introduced the trunk of punk as the show to caters to the less targeted audience.

I preferred him to Lamacq (based on the comments on this thread, does anyone like Lammo?) Whether having him on permanently 6 days a week is too much, only time will tell...

Post edited at 11:02
 lorentz 21 Oct 2021
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Ah right. Cheers for clearing it up. I'm not a massive fan of the music selection CC plays on a Saturday night, but I quite like him as a presenter. Usually I listen to talksport or 5 live for the late kickoff at that time on a Saturday anyway. I tuned in to his show yesterday and the playlist was spot on (for me, anyway...) 

Lammo comes across as a really nice bloke albeit with that slightly grating inhale he does between clenched teeth. However his show is like being cornered by the boring dude at a houseparty. Too much geek chat about all stuff "indie label, band, their new record, student disco, gig, today's national anthem" followed by another 15 minute chat with a listener about their diverse vinyl collection. So much so that the actual music seems to get less airtime than the waffle.

midgen 21 Oct 2021
In reply to lorentz:

To be fair, it's marginally less dull than Riley and his tedious pub quiz/anagram stuff. Plus you get to hear about bands other than Oh Sees!

In reply to midgen:

> To be fair, it's marginally less dull than Riley and his tedious pub quiz/anagram stuff. Plus you get to hear about bands other than Oh Sees!

I like Riley (a lot) but would like to see him do less of the quiz stuff. It gets a bit too DLT at times and I'm not convinced there's any irony intended.

In reply to lorentz:

> Ah right. Cheers for clearing it up. I'm not a massive fan of the music selection CC plays on a Saturday night, but I quite like him as a presenter. Usually I listen to talksport or 5 live for the late kickoff at that time on a Saturday anyway. I tuned in to his show yesterday and the playlist was spot on (for me, anyway...) 

> Lammo comes across as a really nice bloke albeit with that slightly grating inhale he does between clenched teeth. However his show is like being cornered by the boring dude at a houseparty. Too much geek chat about all stuff "indie label, band, their new record, student disco, gig, today's national anthem" followed by another 15 minute chat with a listener about their diverse vinyl collection. So much so that the actual music seems to get less airtime than the waffle.

I made a point of listening to Lammo tonight and I have to say the music was good and he was ok when enthusing about bands and not talking record label stuff. If he could dial that down I'd ok with him...

lorentz 21 Oct 2021
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Me too funnily enough as was out in the car. I take some of my earlier post back. He does play some good tunes, and he also does know his stuff... You don't think he's been lurking on UKC do you!? 😁 

nathan79 23 Oct 2021
In reply to mark s:

To those that haven't switched over Planet Rock, and for those who have but haven't caught his show Nights with Alice Cooper us always worth a listen. Times interspersed with stories and general banter from the man himself. I've always found it preferable to Iggy Pop's show 

Tobes 23 Oct 2021

CC in the afternoon - hmm, seems he's got just the two features, Trunk of Punk (listener generated) and this thing at the end of the show, the last track (listener generated also) - the show i caught he seemed  to mention these constantly. 

For a 'big personality' as is often mentioned with him he sounds out of his comfort zone and relying on his staff (producer etc) for conversation (might as well listen to R2's The BIG show lol!) 

Doesn't sound like much thought has gone into the show - i mean it wasn't a surprise to CC that he'd be presenting but his show (so far) sounds like a 'fill in dj' rather than the main event. 

Not impressed at all - Shaun on a good day was great - Radcliff and Marconie were my preferred afternoon option.

Do 'we' need CC 6 days a week (?!) - he suits his funk and soul show/slot but not the afternoon 'big show' imo 

Post edited at 19:10
 DaveHK 23 Oct 2021
In reply to Tobes:

>  seems he's got just the two features, 

Plenty of people would view that as a positive, fewer gimmicks and more music.

Tobes 23 Oct 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> >  seems he's got just the two features, 

> Plenty of people would view that as a positive, fewer gimmicks and more music.

My point was - he went over the rules/how to submit endlessly like someone who has 3 hrs to present a show with only an hours worth of content - filling time/time wasting - 

To me, it sounded like there was no plan for this show or further shows and it was being made up as he/they went along. Wasn't great radio - like that Smashy and Nicey final show...what's in my top pocket competition? Your pen mate.....sob sob 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...