UKC

Cummings going, going, gone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Ormerod 12 Nov 2020

By the end of the year apparently.  Good job there's nothing happening Jan 1st that he's had anything to do with.

orejas 12 Nov 2020
In reply to George Ormerod:

Yes that way he can claim the mess that ensues is not his problem to solve. 

Tyler 12 Nov 2020

Seems like more bullshit deception to me. If this is some principled stand by him then why is he not walking out now, if he's being pushed why not sideline him straight away with some of the ignominy he deserves?

In reply to Tyler:

Looks like the parliamentary party having elected a lazy, incompetent baffoon who's as much use as Anne Frank’s drum kit, have realized he’s threatening their continued employment: 

“One MP, who asked not to be named, said: “They’re children. Ideologues and self-obsessed fools.” Another, also speaking anonymously, said the prime minister must shoulder the blame for internal rows at such a pivotal time for the country. The government under Johnson has performed a series of major pandemic U-turns, involving national lockdown measures, furlough support, exam results and free school meals.”

SFM 13 Nov 2020

Two things I’m wondering about...

Was this always the plan ie the Brexit plan is complete and no need for him any more

Is this a sign that the Brexit plan has gone awry and that the ideological pursuit of a hard Brexit has failed. A softer Brexit/Trade Deal with the EU is being pursued and everyone has fallen out over it. 

One thing looks clear though, Johnson’s days are numbered. 

Clauso 13 Nov 2020

Good riddance. 

Perhaps he's belatedly decided to follow some government advice? 

Wash hands. Save face. Make space. 

wintertree 13 Nov 2020

A no 10 insider had a lot to say to Laura Kuenssberg?  Stone the crows.  I wonder if there’s still going to be an insider drip feeding her proposed policy to A/B test in the new year?

Her reporting of all things No 10 really grinds my gears.  I’m pretty sure she’s quoting Cummings on Cummings when she says “One adviser told me it was a "huge error to let him go".”

Its time for Dominic Cummings to move on.  

GarethSL 13 Nov 2020

Am I the only one wishing the thread title was "Cummings and goings" instead?

Doug 13 Nov 2020

Wasn't he supposed to have leave last year sometime to have surgery of some sort ? Will he really go this time? I also see that there's been an out of court settlement so he'll avoid a court appearance next month (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/13/special-adviser-sacked-by-... )

Harry Jarvis 13 Nov 2020
In reply to SFM:

> Two things I’m wondering about...

> Was this always the plan ie the Brexit plan is complete and no need for him any more

He does claim that he always wanted to be 'largely redundant' by the end of the year. This doesn't quite accord with his mission to dismantle the Civil Service, but I'm rather past caring. If he does think people are going to overlook his part in all things Brexit he's an idiot. 

Wainers44 13 Nov 2020

Our local shop is advertising for part time staff, I can send him the details? Tough time to be looking for a new job at the mo, poor wee lamb. Suppose that he can spend more time visiting stuff with his family?

a crap climber 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

He could always get a job in cyber

climbingpixie 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> If he does think people are going to overlook his part in all things Brexit he's an idiot. 

More to the point, if the government thinks that they can blame the forthcoming brexit shitshow or any other of their myriad mistakes on Cummings and try to claim a fresh start in the new year they can sod off. Johnson hired him, Johnson is accountable for signing off on his policies.

LastBoyScout 13 Nov 2020

He should have been sacked months ago!

mondite 13 Nov 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> Her reporting of all things No 10 really grinds my gears. 

Yeah there is a point where the source stops being a source and starts being the handler.  For her and Cummings that point was passed a long time ago.

Before celebrating I would wait till a)it happens and b)we find out what he is breaking next.

He seems to have a habit of announcing those future resignation dates and then watching them disappear in the background.

In reply to Doug:

> Wasn't he supposed to have leave last year sometime to have surgery of some sort ?

That was my recollection. The story did start out in the Spectator, though...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/dominic-cummings-won-t-blink-over-no-de...

He is reported to have had surgery this August.

In reply to SFM:

> One thing looks clear though, Johnson’s days are numbered. 

Cummings going, Johnson going. It doesn't make a lot of difference. The damage is done. We will live with that damage for the rest of my lifetime.

wercat 13 Nov 2020

I'm secretly (and unrealistically) hoping that Biden's win and the Trumpollapse has persuaded No 10 that the writing is on the wall.

neilh 13 Nov 2020

The only real  issue is that he had said a good few months ago that he was planning to leave in December.I assume that was linked to the farce that is Brexit.

There was a fascinating interview with Jonathan Powell yesterday who as Blair equivalent. He said that Blair basically had the same issue when he became PM. Governing is different from campaigning and people like Cummins are basically useless in government. So it has been proved.

Reminds me of Bannon and Trump.

mcdougal 13 Nov 2020

He needs to quit his day job to have time to hoover all those cheap, brexit-hit assets with his mates. 

jkarran 13 Nov 2020

Like rats from a sinking ship. Doubtless off to foreign boardrooms and consultancies where their intimate knowledge of the looting opportunities and government weaknesses they worked so hard to create will be fairly rewarded.

I guess Cummings reform agenda wasn't after all. I'm shocked.

jk

Removed User 13 Nov 2020

> By the end of the year apparently.  Good job there's nothing happening Jan 1st that he's had anything to do with.

Let me guess, he's emigrating to New Zealand?

I find his explanation of his part in the Brexit vote quite chilling:  youtube.com/watch?v=CDbRxH9Kiy4&

He managed to leverage feelings about immigration, the financial crisis and the Euro to further the Brexit cause irrespective of their relevance. He needs to be electronically tagged so that we know what he’s up to next. 

jkarran 13 Nov 2020
In reply to SFM:

> Is this a sign that the Brexit plan has gone awry and that the ideological pursuit of a hard Brexit has failed. A softer Brexit/Trade Deal with the EU is being pursued and everyone has fallen out over it.

With Biden's win and Trump distracted wiping his arse on the Withe House curtains I imagine a Norway style (+++ of course) sell out is currently near the top of the options pile while someone counts heads in parliament to see if they'll still have a government without the nutters in January (nope).

> One thing looks clear though, Johnson’s days are numbered.

In the high hundreds IMO. Why tarnish a potential 2024 PM for an eminently winnable election? Nail Johnson to his desk as a corpulent human shield for when the shit hits the fan. Marginalise him and his talentless government of sycophants and turncoats, re-brand, again (as the Conservative Party, not BluKIP), for the 2023 conference season.

An ambitious but vacuous Iain Duncan Smith style placeholder would be another option but this is a crisis government (albeit half the crises are of its own making), if they keep on fu*king up and don't clean up their cronyism and spending 2024 could start to slip away from them despite their entrenched position. That'd be 5 leaders in 8 years (Cameron, May, Johnson, ablative shit shield, '24 Contender), mostly lost to conspicuous infighting and gross incompetence while the country suffers, it's not a good look.

jk

Andy Hardy 13 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

It won't matter by 2024, all the damage is about to be done. They will still have 85% of the press and TV on their side, I only wonder if Putin will stop funding the sock puppets and troll farms as the UK will be pretty much out of the game (or will he just divert them elsewhere)

jkarran 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I only wonder if Putin will stop funding the sock puppets and troll farms as the UK will be pretty much out of the game (or will he just divert them elsewhere)

I doubt it, with a little low budget encouragement from St Petersberg I suspect we can be a real belligerent thorn in Europe's side and and ongoing bottleneck between the US and EU in the years to come.

jk

wercat 13 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

I heard the Story Bernard Jenkin  being very nicely treated by Nasty Nick today on R4 - he was telling yet another rather dishonest Story that the big problem we had in government that there were too many Remainers in government and that had helped things go wrong - we should  have had more experienced pro Brexit people in government.  He seems to forget the purge of long standing Tories after the election.

But having seen him in many parliamentary debates on the Parlament channel rather than listening to the likes of Nasty Nick and Lazy Laura I know he generally tells a crooked Tory Story.

Ridge 13 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

> I doubt it, with a little low budget encouragement from St Petersberg I suspect we can be a real belligerent thorn in Europe's side and and ongoing bottleneck between the US and EU in the years to come.

There are some pretty hefty cyber attacks going on at present in the UK, which apparently originate from St Petersberg. I think Putin is using all options at his disposal 

mondite 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> It won't matter by 2024, all the damage is about to be done. They will still have 85% of the press and TV on their side, I only wonder if Putin will stop funding the sock puppets and troll farms as the UK will be pretty much out of the game

Nah he will keep attacking. Otherwise he risks the UK undoing his good work and rebuilding the alliances his agents and useful idiots have destroyed.

Jonny 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> I find his explanation of his part in the Brexit vote quite chilling.

I remember reading one of his blog posts soon after the referendum (https://dominiccummings.com/2017/01/09/on-the-referendum-21-branching-histo... ) and finding it to be a strangely amoral argument, almost alien in its mechanistic Machiavellianism. 'Why do it?' was given just a few short paragraphs half-way through the lengthy essay. It was all about the 'how'.

Smart chap, in the narrow sense, but one who proves the disconnect between intelligence and morality.

Still, it's precisely this type of mind that identifies disconnects and exploits them. He should be tagged, as you say, but then used as a white hat.

wintertree 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> He should be tagged, as you say, but then used as a white hat.

Well, you might think that, until you read his blog from early 2020 on big data and data science.  I despaired at the time that the author of that cult worshipping drivel was advising the PM as we went in to the pandemic.

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could drive to Barnard Castle with dodgy eyesight and Covid.  

Jonny 13 Nov 2020
In reply to wintertree:

That's fair enough, but either he helped win the referendum for Leave (in the face of poor odds) or he didn't. In the former case, we can reason from the top down about his potential utility as a white hat, even if some of his writings are a little off.

wintertree 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Jonny:

I'm not doubting his ability to accurately survey the mood of the people and shape policy to an end by drip feeding leaks and tweaking accordingly.  

> we can reason from the top down about his potential utility as a white hat

The only things he's showed himself to excel at should, in my view, have no place in a well functioning democracy. 

Ian W 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Jonny:

not replying to you specifically, but don't forget who he was spad to in 2012 when we enjoyed the benefits of Gove's educational reforms.........he is also responsible for much of the thinking behind that. I think he just needs to go away and not have any influence over public life. 

Or maybe he should go, as Mark Francois (who he?) suggested to the MOD and "sort them out". Anyone remember the footage of him threatening the head of the armed forces with Dominic at the select committee a while back? And the response of the military type - a sneer and gentle chuckle.......

Jonny 13 Nov 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> I'm not doubting his ability to accurately survey the mood of the people

This is what he excels at. His place in a well-functioning democracy would be as a canary that identifies disconnects (vulnerabilities) that should be addressed so as to prevent other Cummingses from doing their thing.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I only wonder if Putin will stop funding the sock puppets and troll farms as the UK

I was thinking that Cummings can go now, as he has done the job his boss wanted doing.

Whoever that boss is...

Post edited at 14:37
 wintertree 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> This is what he excels at. His place in a well-functioning democracy would be as a canary that identifies disconnects (vulnerabilities) that should be addressed so as to prevent other Cummingses from doing their thing.

But he also has extensive form for taking actions that undermine due process to get him what he wants.  Would you trust a word he said in this role?   

In reply to Jonny:

> I remember reading one of his blog posts

Did you check the Wayback Machine for the original version...?

Jonny 13 Nov 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> But he also has extensive form for taking actions that undermine due process to get him what he wants.  Would you trust a word he said in this role?   

The Cummings-white-hat project falls apart at the "willing and good faith" bit, I readily admit. He's of the sociopath type, through and through. Still, a willing and good faith canary of his ilk would be useful.

Jonny 13 Nov 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Did you check the Wayback Machine for the original version...?

I read it some time in 2017. I've just compared the two versions (Oct 2017 vs. now) in Word and there are no differences.

Or is this a joke about his untrustworthiness?

In reply to Jonny:

> What's the suspicion?

He has history for changing his blog to make it seems he didn't say things he did; like supporting 'herd immunity'.

Fortunately, he's such an inept 'data science guru' that he was apparently unaware of the Wayback machine  or even the history function of his blogging platform.

In reply to Jonny:

Interesting; I posted a quote from your post, but see that your post is now different, but with no record of an edit...

Jonny 13 Nov 2020

> Interesting; I posted a quote from your post, but see that your post is now different, but with no record of an edit...

Cummings came and went, but Cummingsism lives.

(Just a delete-and-repost)

Post edited at 15:15
 fred99 13 Nov 2020
In reply to SFM:

> Two things I’m wondering about...

> Was this always the plan ie the Brexit plan is complete and no need for him any more

> Is this a sign that the Brexit plan has gone awry and that the ideological pursuit of a hard Brexit has failed. A softer Brexit/Trade Deal with the EU is being pursued and everyone has fallen out over it. 

> One thing looks clear though, Johnson’s days are numbered. 

My thoughts too.

I believe that having got Brexit, and having made pretty sure that no deal can be made with the EU by being just plain awkward, he's now buggering off to ensure that someone else has to deal with the mess.

earlsdonwhu 13 Nov 2020

He will probably get knighted in the New Year Honours list  or put in the Lords. I would like to see him taking the money off lorry drivers to park up in Kent....that way he can earn minimum wage and start paying back his council tax.

mondite 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> That's fair enough, but either he helped win the referendum for Leave (in the face of poor odds) or he didn't.

In face of poor odds? The biggest papers were pro brexit and the amount of exposure, without questioning, given to them on the BBC etc was high. Everytime Farage or Johnson vomitted some bollocks out it was unquestioningly reported. It was also helped by the different campaigns, one of which he loathed, which could push very different claims to the other in order to convince people.

There is a myth being made about them being the poor underdogs standing up against the political and media elite and yet as Cummings himself demonstrates they are part of the London political and media elite.

He is the perfect example of what he claims to despise. A Oxbridge humanities graduate who has spent his life in politics although in his cases its rarely been on the productive side of politics but instead as a longterm negative campaigner with little or no regard for the truth. Unfortunately its something a democracy has difficulty dealing with. Our institutions are mostly based around trust and honest actors and it is something which will need to change.

He is good at negative campaigning and also at handling incompetent journalists but again thats a failing of the trust based system.

mondite 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> I read it some time in 2017. I've just compared the two versions (Oct 2017 vs. now) in Word and there are no differences.

The wayback machine has a built in comparer which works better than word.

> Or is this a joke about his untrustworthiness?

In one of his press conferences he stated how he had written about the threat of Corona viruses last year in on of his blogs. When, in fact, he had simply edited it to include a reference in April of this year.

Jonny 13 Nov 2020
In reply to mondite:

> In face of poor odds? The biggest papers were pro brexit and the amount of exposure, without questioning, given to them on the BBC etc was high. Everytime Farage or Johnson vomitted some bollocks out it was unquestioningly reported. It was also helped by the different campaigns, one of which he loathed, which could push very different claims to the other in order to convince people.

Sure. These were things that Leave leveraged in their favour. The pre campaign odds were stacked against Leave—if you knew better I trust you made a tidy bet and won well.

> There is a myth being made about them being the poor underdogs standing up against the political and media elite and yet as Cummings himself demonstrates they are part of the London political and media elite.

Being an underdog in terms of odds doesn't imply occupying the moral high ground.

> He is good at negative campaigning and also at handling incompetent journalists but again thats a failing of the trust based system.

Agreed.

> The wayback machine has a built in comparer which works better than word.

Good to know! I tried it out and it's a great tool.

Post edited at 16:17
 AllanMac 13 Nov 2020

If ever a pustulating arse boil needed lacing, Cummings is it.

One of the best Fri 13ths I've ever had.

lorentz 13 Nov 2020
In reply to AllanMac:

An early Christmas present for sure... However as others as said, we're more or less tied into a no-deal Brexit because of the c*nt now, and he's f@@king off into a probable attractive severance package before he has to face any of the consequences of his actions.

I'd rather like to see him strapped into the machine like little Alex in A Clockwork Orange whereby his eyelids are drawn open with wires and he is forced to watch the damage he's caused and the carnage that's about to unfold  over and again, whilst being administered electric shocks until he acknowledges that - yes it is all his fault.

"Viddy well the mess that thou has caused by thy malicious actions, Little Dominic."

Unfortunately I expect the world has not seen the last of Demonic Cummstains. He'll turn up again somewhere to ruin someone else's day! 

Post edited at 16:41
 jkarran 13 Nov 2020
In reply to lorentz:

> An early Christmas present for sure... However as others as said, we're more or less tied into a no-deal Brexit because the c*nt now, and he's f@@king off into a probable attractive severance package before he has to face any of the consequences of his actions.

I'm not convinced we are. With Trump gone Johnson's looking isolated, another fudged extension or capitulation by Johnson to most of the EU's conditions for a thin deal* is more likely.

*which gets extended and extended over the coming years as the costs of brexit are never quite outweighed by any benefits but the polarised 'debate' has rendered return to the EU politically impossible. Eventually we're a big version of Norway, constrained between what makes sense and what the electorate believes.

jk

freeflyer 13 Nov 2020
In reply to lorentz:

>  He'll turn up again somewhere to ruin someone else's day! 

Specsavers. Just absolutely has to be, I'll even write the ad. So many possibilities.

mondite 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> Sure. These were things that Leave leveraged in their favour. The pre campaign odds were stacked against Leave—if you knew better I trust you made a tidy bet and won well.

That just shows the odds were wrong not that they were disadvantaged. It happens.

> Being an underdog in terms of odds doesn't imply occupying the moral high ground.

I am simply questioning the portrayal of them as being the underdogs fighting against the elites when they are the elites.

Jonny 13 Nov 2020
In reply to mondite:

> That just shows the odds were wrong not that they were disadvantaged. It happens.

You seem to have a strangely metaphysical conception of what odds are.

> I am simply questioning the portrayal of them as being the underdogs fighting against the elites when they are the elites.

I'm with you on this one. The portrayal is their message. It's kind of the point.

The New NickB 13 Nov 2020

Gone with immediate effect according to his press secretary, sorry I mean the BBC Political Editor.

mondite 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> You seem to have a strangely metaphysical conception of what odds are.

No its just that you seem to be confusing odds with reality. They had the support of the majority of the press and reasonable parts of most political parties.

That the odds didnt reflect that is a failure in the prediction not that they were actually underdogs.

mondite 13 Nov 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

> Gone with immediate effect according to his press secretary, sorry I mean the BBC Political Editor.

Damn. What is she going to do without her "anonymous source in No10".

kevin stephens 13 Nov 2020

> Gone with immediate effect according to his press secretary, sorry I mean the BBC Political Editor.

I bet he didn't see that coming!

Trevers 13 Nov 2020

He belongs in jail, the little shit.

lorentz 13 Nov 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

> >  He'll turn up again somewhere to ruin someone else's day! 

> Specsavers. Just absolutely has to be, I'll even write the ad. So many possibilities.

Hah!! 😁 I would (extremely begrudgingly) begin to respect him if he did that . At least a taciturn acknowledgement of his indiscretion and an ability to poke fun at himself...

lorentz 13 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

I really hope you're right... Sadly I think it's too little too late, and there are too many other nutters in positions of influence with too much face to lose to stop the big crash out. The UK is more or less over the cliff edge now and like Wiley Cayote, feet peddling the air desperately in that split second of weightlessness before the gravity of the situation takes over. Stock up on bog roll and pasta folks, we're in for a bumpy landing!

Trevers 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> Sounds like Carrie’s won then-

Well she has something that Dom doesn't.

Queenie 13 Nov 2020

Gone. Huzzah!

mondite 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Queenie:

> Gone. Huzzah!

I would want to know what he is doing next before celebrating too much. After all whilst the civil service seems to have been saved from him we are still all dealing with the damage of brexit.

baron 13 Nov 2020
In reply to mondite:

> I would want to know what he is doing next before celebrating too much. After all whilst the civil service seems to have been saved from him we are still all dealing with the damage of brexit.

Has the position of Chairman of the BBC been filled yet?

Tyler 13 Nov 2020

Anyone who enjoys bit of Cummings bantz out to check out some of this guy's clips on Twitter: @JoshBerryComedy

lorentz 13 Nov 2020
In reply to baron:

The Daily Mail would be looking for another mythsmith to peddle lies and hate since James Slackjaw took over from Lee "Co" Cain... . Cummstains would be a perfect fit... A little  celebrity counterbalance to  "Useless" George Osborne at The Standard. 

wintertree 13 Nov 2020

On the off chance anyone missed Jonathan Pie on Cummings the first time around...

youtube.com/watch?v=tDnGQemzf2s&

earlsdonwhu 13 Nov 2020

I am delighted that the odious and dangerous Cummings has gone but am well aware that Johnson solo can still cause mayhem ! 

Ridge 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Trevers:

> He belongs in jail, the little shit.

He could have Peter Sutcliffe's old cell, preferably not decontaminated.

groovejunkie 13 Nov 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> I am delighted that the odious and dangerous Cummings has gone but am well aware that Johnson solo can still cause mayhem ! 

Could well be a  lonely place to be for Johnson to be now. The damage already being well and truly done. Question is, will they rally round and support him or wait in the wings (Gove) sharpening their knives. If it's the latter I cant imagine it will be long before Johnson runs away too.

baron 13 Nov 2020
In reply to groovejunkie:

> Could well be a  lonely place to be for Johnson to be now. The damage already being well and truly done. Question is, will they rally round and support him or wait in the wings (Gove) sharpening their knives. If it's the latter I cant imagine it will be long before Johnson runs away too.

Can’t imagine that there’s a big queue to be Prime Minister right now.

He's been seen pissing off today with all his stuff in a cardboard box.

Good take from the New Statesman:

"Cummings’ departure is highly unlikely to be a willing one: that would be senseless – outside of the undefined reality of Brexit, Cummings has achieved next to nothing – and there is very little in his past statements that suggest he actually planned to leave No 10 at the end of this year. He was briefing ITV’s political editor, Robert Peston, on his renewed energy for the role as recently as three months ago. And had his bid to install Cain as Johnson’s chief of staff worked, we would be talking about Cummings’ ever-greater grip on No 10. We are observing the aftershock of a failed putsch, not a planned exit.

That putsch risked pushing Johnson even further away from the parliamentary party than he already is. I’m told there was a flood of complaints to the Whips’ Office at the news of Cain’s possible elevation. “Cain was so obviously Cummings’ man,” says one senior MP, who backed Johnson’s leadership bid in 2019. The sense in the party was that Cain’s promotion represented “a final and complete takeover” of No 10 by Cummings."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/11/dominic-cummings-resignati...

NottsRich 13 Nov 2020

The man is a deceiver and a liar. Do you think this is genuine or more of a great way of him in the future being able to say "Brexit? I couldn't do anything about it because they sacked me, not my fault it turned out so badly"? 

Andy Hardy 13 Nov 2020

> Could well be a  lonely place to be for Johnson to be now

Can you hear those tiny violins? Me neither.

groovejunkie 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Can you hear those tiny violins? Me neither.

nope, I hope the silence deafens him!

groovejunkie 13 Nov 2020
In reply to baron:

> Can’t imagine that there’s a big queue to be Prime Minister right now.

perhaps, but ego is a dangerous thing!

In reply to mondite:

> What is she going to do without her "anonymous source in No10".

Some proper journalism for a change...?

In reply to Bob Kemp:

> Sounds like Carrie’s won then-

One's a c""t, the other's got one. We know Johnson is ruled by 'little Boris'.

Alternatively, it could be threats to dish the dirt on their 'relationship problems'.

Oceanrower 13 Nov 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

> Specsavers. Just absolutely has to be, I'll even write the ad. So many possibilities.

They beat you to it...

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/business/dominic-cummings-quits-to-become-ce...

earlsdonwhu 13 Nov 2020

It is also noteworthy that Johnson has for once seemingly shown some loyalty to one of his wives / partners.

jkarran 13 Nov 2020

Gone already! Looks like the stack of brexit options on Johnson's desk currently topped by: give up and beg for Norway's' fish and fees arrangement' might be only one file deep. 

I'm genuinely surprised, I thought this would drag on for weeks yet. 

Jk

Post edited at 21:24
 jkarran 13 Nov 2020
In reply to baron:

> Can’t imagine that there’s a big queue to be Prime Minister right now.

If Johnson quit it would be ten deep at least with half wit entitled pricks dreaming of two years at the top and machiavelian dreamers convinced they'll make 10. If what's left of the Conservative party has any sense they'll nail Johnson's hands to his desk, make him se this through. How complete was the 2019 purge?

Jk

Kalna_kaza 13 Nov 2020

Cummings. A liar. Narcissist. A shit stain on society. 

A pointless waste of public good will at a time when the public's trust was being stretched already by an third rate government.

I'm glad he's gone but I'm more worried about Johnson and Gove etc backing such a compromised individual for so long. Cumstain's recent tour of sensitive military sites will only be used by him for future financial gain. Other former employees subject to the official secrets act would be prosecuted, I doubt he'll be in the same boat.

Rob Parsons 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

>  Other former employees subject to the official secrets act would be prosecuted, I doubt he'll be in the same boat.

Hyperbolic.

Plasynant 13 Nov 2020

Prime ministers often make mistakes; look at the chaos Tony Blair caused in the world invading Iraq. Weapons of mass destruction my ass ; the fall out from this was massive. Tony is now very wealthy after his post at the EU . The Labour Party and the damage they have done to this country is absolutely unforgivable. 

yes we all make mistakes, we are human . 

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> Other former employees subject to the official secrets act would be prosecuted, I doubt he'll be in the same boat.

The interesting thing about security clearances is is that neither Johnson nor Cummings would get them if they were through the normal channels. Three mysterious years spent in Russia, doing...what? Not a f*cking chance.

Pete Pozman 13 Nov 2020
In reply to wercat:

Trumpollapse - word of the year! 😊

Pete Pozman 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Plasynant:

> we are human

... are we though? 

I am, you are, but cummings? 

Post edited at 22:28
 wintertree 13 Nov 2020

> The interesting thing about security clearances is is that neither Johnson nor Cummings would get them if they were through the normal channels. Three mysterious years spent in Russia, doing...what? Not a f*cking chance.

Tell you what thought, I wouldn’t half like to be the FCO vetting officer doing his DV interviews...

Kalna_kaza 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> >  Other former employees subject to the official secrets act would be prosecuted, I doubt he'll be in the same boat.

> Hyperbolic.

I doubt he'll have to recompense for any of his misdemeanours.

In reply to wintertree:

Or MOD. Or GCHQ...

Kalna_kaza 13 Nov 2020

> > Other former employees subject to the official secrets act would be prosecuted, I doubt he'll be in the same boat.

> The interesting thing about security clearances is is that neither Johnson nor Cummings would get them if they were through the normal channels. 

Yup, political exemptions (especially for non-elected officials) is a bad idea.

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

I'd certainly have checked that box he carried out of no.10.

And his butt.

wintertree 13 Nov 2020

> Or MOD. Or GCHQ...

I suspect the later have been told not to look for links of [REDACTED] interference with SPADs.  That seems to be the way of things these days.   It's possible that loosing access to the PM early has cost him favour elsewhere as well.  Probably wise to wear gloves when opening doors for a while.  Or just to retreat into his covered, converted swimming pool for the foreseeable.  After all, now he's no longer evading council tax, he might as well get the benefit of it...  That reminds me - do you reckon he registered it as a separate property for water rates or has be been guilty of theft of water for the last 15 years too?

As with quite a few people in the USA right now, I imagine DC's mind is turning to the question of who will protect him once his glorious "leader" is out of role.

Trevers 13 Nov 2020

If I ever am unlucky enough to cross paths with the shit stain, I will punch him in the face and kick him in the dick. That's a solemn vow.

wintertree 13 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

> I'm genuinely surprised, I thought this would drag on for weeks yet. 

My theory is he was so enraged at the Spitting Image gag over "Will you fire me?  I thought not" that he's done this just to piss them off.

On that note, they're quick off the bat...

youtube.com/watch?v=dDPPe2UCWCM&

wintertree 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Trevers:

> If I ever am unlucky enough to cross paths with the shit stain, I will punch him in the face and kick him in the dick. That's a solemn vow.

Have you ever been to his family’s nightclub, Klute?  Odds are I’ve met him there when he worked the door.  You’d struggle to tell him from all the other shit stains decorating the place, it was filth incarnate.  At one point an upstairs toilet was leaking through the floor.  On the ceiling below there were black bin liners bodge taped on and bulging down...

Trevers 14 Nov 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> Have you ever been to his family’s nightclub, Klute?  Odds are I’ve met him there when he worked the door.  You’d struggle to tell him from all the other shit stains decorating the place, it was filth incarnate.  At one point an upstairs toilet was leaking through the floor.  On the ceiling below there were black bin liners bodge taped on and bulging down...

That sounds like the inspiration for the government's COVID policy.

In reply to GarethSL:

> Am I the only one wishing the thread title was "Cummings and goings" instead?

I see the poor thread title I put up has been changed, nice one.  And I was worried that I should have put an apostrophe at the end of Cummings'

In reply to wintertree:

> Have you ever been to his family’s nightclub, Klute?  Odds are I’ve met him there when he worked the door.  You’d struggle to tell him from all the other shit stains decorating the place, it was filth incarnate.  At one point an upstairs toilet was leaking through the floor.  On the ceiling below there were black bin liners bodge taped on and bulging down...

Was he really a bouncer? "I've superforcasted that you're going to be trouble, read this 10,000 word blog post and stich this you c......."

In reply to Trevers:

> If I ever am unlucky enough to cross paths with the shit stain, I will punch him in the face and kick him in the dick. That's a solemn vow.

No need for violence, an interim bill for the 200 billion quid Brexit has cost so far, a high vis jacket and the next 20 years' picking up carrier bags of lorry driver's shit on the hard shoulder of the M20 will suffice.

In reply to Trevers:

Get in the queue sunshine.

Never has the trade off of having a night in the cells or a minor conviction been so worth it.

Doug 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Plasynant:

> Tony is now very wealthy after his post at the EU .

What post at the EU ?

wintertree 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Trevers:

> That sounds like the inspiration for the government's COVID policy.

About as effective too...

SDM 14 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

> capitulation by Johnson to most of the EU's conditions for a thin deal* is more likely.

Paper thin deal always seemed like his goal and the need for it seems greater now that Biden is in charge.

He needs a deal so that he can hold something up and claim victory. Of course, it will be demonstrably worse than membership in every way and will bring f*ck all benefits.

> *which gets extended and extended over the coming years as the costs of brexit are never quite outweighed by any benefits but the polarised 'debate' has rendered return to the EU politically impossible. Eventually we're a big version of Norway, constrained between what makes sense and what the electorate believes.

I don't see there being another extension. Johnson is quite happy pushing things through regardless of the consequences. It also gives more time for Johnson's successor to attempt to draw a line under brexit and distance themselves from the consequences in time for the next election.

I also don't see us ending up with anything close to Norway for at least a decade. I hope we end up in a similar position to them (as it would be less bad than the likely alternatives) but I think the chances of us achieving that are low.

SDM 14 Nov 2020
In reply to mondite:

> I am simply questioning the portrayal of them as being the underdogs fighting against the elites when they are the elites.

Nothing helps the little man fight the elites more than a bunch of Eton-Oxbridge alumni funded by billionaires.

SDM 14 Nov 2020

> Question is, will they rally round and support him or wait in the wings (Gove) sharpening their knives. If it's the latter I cant imagine it will be long before Johnson runs away too.

They've been sharpening the knives for months and are just waiting for the most opportune time to strike . The Tories don't have much of a track record of rallying in support behind unpopular leaders.

Gove will try his luck but he won't get in. He's just Johnson light but without the so called charisma (where did this idea of Johnson being charismatic come from? The man can't even string a coherent sentence together. Anyway, I digress). He has all of the same brexit/covid/Cummings baggage as Johnson.

Sunak seems by far the most likely, especially now he has found his magic money tree again. He doesn't have the brexit baggage, he's been flexing against Johnson for months now (I suspect none of his leadership opponents will go so far as to pin the lockdown 2 delays on him because of the damage it would do to their electoral chances and it would consign them to life on the backbenches if he wins) and he's been in campaign mode for a month already.

I think the return of Hunt is the next most likely. His critique of government policy over the last few months gives him genuine distance from the previous government. And although he isn't much more popular than Gove, I think he would be viewed by many as a competent and safe pair of hands to steer us through the troubled waters ahead. I could see him being marketed as the sort of leader that Theresa May was supposed to be.

SDM 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Can you hear those tiny violins? Me neither.

This is all I can hear (I do not advise playing this at work or in the presence of children):

vimeo.com/349649184

Post edited at 11:43
 SDM 14 Nov 2020
In reply to AllanMac:

>> If ever a pustulating arse boil needed lacing, Cummings is it.

>> One of the best Fri 13ths I've ever had.

> An early Christmas present for sure... However as others as said, we're more or less tied into a no-deal Brexit because of the c*nt now, and he's f@@king off into a probable attractive severance package before he has to face any of the consequences of his actions.

Exactly. It's great he is gone and can't do any more damage from the inside of government (of course his tactics will be ported over to the private sector and lobbying where he will be scrutinized even less).

But we will still be paying for his actions for years (decades?) to come. And there is little reason to believe that his successor will be any more honest, palatable or competent.

Shani 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Tyler:

> Seems like more bullshit deception to me. If this is some principled stand by him then why is he not walking out now, if he's being pushed why not sideline him straight away with some of the ignominy he deserves?

You nailed it here.

Cummings left Number 10 through the front door, carrying a cardboard box, at the peak news hour. This was pure theatre.

Why not leave discreetly (No.10 has several discreet exits)? Did he really need to go out the front-door? Can you think of a better, more symbolic prop than a cardboard box? Have any of you left a job carrying a box of your stuff? And why at the peak news hour? Why not discreetly at another time when a 'breaking news' story would have less impact and not disrupt the news schedules?

This was calculated to send a message.

Cummings fancies himself as a master strategist when it comes to messaging. I'm not sure we need to be that smart to realise we're being played.

Post edited at 13:08
 Trevers 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Shani:

> Cummings fancies himself as a master strategist when it comes to messaging. I'm not sure we need to be that smart to realise we're being played.

It's difficult to believe that Johnson just fired him and that's that. They have far too much kompromat on each other. Or at least, I'm sure Cummings knows everything about Johnson. It wouldn't be surprising if Johnson hadn't bothered to do his homework on Cummings.

jkarran 14 Nov 2020
In reply to SDM:

> I also don't see us ending up with anything close to Norway for at least a decade. I hope we end up in a similar position to them (as it would be less bad than the likely alternatives) but I think the chances of us achieving that are low.

Me either, certainly not in the first instance but if (and it's a big if) we don't get suckered into adopting US regulations which effectively exclude us from a return to the EU (even via the Norway, in but not route) I suspect over the coming decade, deal by deal we creep back that way bit by bit.

That said, if we aren't to flush our finance industryand choke our just in time supply lines in the new year there are going to be major concessions from No.10. My guess is Cummings was more for the no compromise scorched earth approach where Johnson with his childlike need to be liked and need of a parachute for when he's eventually defenestrated, he'll be bricking it. Right now given he's stuck between the lunatic Bluekip he rode to power and the unblinking EU.

jk

NottsRich 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Shani:

> This was calculated to send a message.

> Cummings fancies himself as a master strategist when it comes to messaging. I'm not sure we need to be that smart to realise we're being played.

Completely agree. What's his plan though? 

MargieB 14 Nov 2020

What values in the conservative party generally? I've never voted for them.

And as for Carrie and institutional sexism- good luck with that in that particular political party!

Post edited at 16:21
 fred99 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Trevers:

Kick him in the balls first, that way his chin will be lower so that you get more "oomph" when you punch (or kick which would be my preference) him in the face.

freeflyer 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Shani:

Seems right to me also. Cummings the Grey vanishes into the abyss in the middle of the fight with the Balrog Barnier, only to re-emerge after the victory as Cummings the Black.

I may have got a colour or two wrong there.

Shani 14 Nov 2020
In reply to NottsRich:

> Completely agree. What's his plan though? 

They're trying to sell this 'reset government' message.

In reply to Shani:

> You nailed it here.

> Cummings left Number 10 through the front door, carrying a cardboard box, at the peak news hour. This was pure theatre.

Yep.  And guys who are getting fired to the extent they are marched to the door with a box of their possessions also have their security pass taken away.  He still had his round his neck.

freeflyer 14 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

> Right now given he's stuck between the lunatic Bluekip he rode to power and the unblinking EU.

There are more rocks and hard places than that, including Tory central who are not to be underestimated for their ability to turn the wheels and eject undesirables. Then there's Stratton who undoubtedly had a hand in the recent departures, or possibly a foot. Can't figure out what's going on there, by all accounts she's not really a Tory as such?

Right now, BJ desperately needs a deal. One that:

- allows him to say he won, something to point to in the way of sovereignty.
- possibly fishing as that's a vote winner it seems.
- so he can capitulate on all the important things inc Ireland, trade flow and some sort of interim trade deal until we can show our sovereign mastery in future deal making.

I guess we'll see what line he's taking early next week, hard or soft. Interesting times.

> By the end of the year apparently.  Good job there's nothing happening Jan 1st that he's had anything to do with.

They are already screwing up the flow of goods through the ports even before we get to Brexit. 11,000 containers of PPE the government haven't managed to move out of Felxistowe for months are blocking them unloading ships on schedule.   By complete coincidence this is the port that gave Chris Grayling a £100k consulting contract a couple of months ago.  Maybe they think employing an ex-minister is the only way to get government to listen and shift their sh*t.  

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/14/shops-warn-of-christmas-st...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908129

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/felixstowe-port-advised-by-chris-gra...

Bob Kemp 14 Nov 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

He was fired once before and then quietly reinstated 

Ian W 15 Nov 2020

> Was he really a bouncer? "I've superforcasted that you're going to be trouble, read this 10,000 word blog post and stich this you c......."

I never met anyone his build in my time as "night club access personnel". I'm 6'3" and (then) about 13 stone, and I was almost always the lightest / smallest there. Not at klute, i hasten to add, which was always a shocker of a dive. i worked on the tuxedo princess......

He was involved in the running of Klute, but the thought of someone with a mouth and attitude like his on the doors.....the other bouncers would have pezzled him well before the clientele did.

wintertree 15 Nov 2020
In reply to Ian W:

It says something that even that floating den of iniquity was less awful than Klute.

DC did allegedly work the door on Klute but wasn’t trusted with the money.  Perhaps he did the bag and coat service?  

Trevers 15 Nov 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> Perhaps he did the bag and coat service?  

Would he be trusted with those?

Ian W 15 Nov 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> It says something that even that floating den of iniquity was less awful than Klute.

Floating den of iniquity? How dare you, sir? That was a high class destination for late night entertainment for adults. Well, for the first couple of years, anyway. Well, except for the barmaids wearing swimsuits.....

> DC did allegedly work the door on Klute but wasn’t trusted with the money.  Perhaps he did the bag and coat service?  

Come, come. This is the North East. Who, except some soppy southern students, would ever wear a coat on a night out.

Post edited at 14:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...