UKC

Damson Wine Volcano !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Impressive or what!  My wife just discovered it. 4 gallon batch: 20 pounds damson, 4+ kilos sugar. Luckily I’m having a shite time at the moment so my wife is taking pity on me. 

Ive just stirred the solid pulpy cap back into the must but it has reformed again so need a plan b. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Whoops! Sorry to hear you are having a shite time.

Chris

In reply to Christheclimber:

Thanks Chris. Friend died in tragic circumstances which will end plastered all over the news (already is to be honest) so I’m struggling a bit.  Anyway, the wine fiasco has took my mind off things. Damson is quite a trendy colour - thinking I should spread it all round!

nastyned 14 Oct 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

If you can cool it down the fermentation will calm down. 

In reply to nastyned:

I’ve had to spoon a gallon out and shove it  into another bucket. I blame the damsons, which have a high sugar content. Few years ago I had a Winter Ale kit and thought adding a few litres of damson juice would make it a nice fruity affair. That went off like a rocket as well, spewed everywhere. The end result was odd - a beer wine hybrid which was very strong. 

That’s the fourth big spillage I’ve had. The Great Flood was about a million times worse than the current minor slick. 

fred99 15 Oct 2021
In reply to nastyned:

> If you can cool it down the fermentation will calm down. 

Agreed - I always put mine in the cellar to ferment. This way it slows down the fermentation, and you get a better tasting wine to boot. I also preferred to leave a decent space in the vessel to allow for "expansion".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...