UKC

David Davis has his eyes on the prize and resigns

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 09 Jul 2018

The Brexit Secretary has fired the starting pistol for a Leadership Race.

In reply to The Lemming:

Pity the Tories don't go in for Seppuku in situations like this.

DaveHK 09 Jul 2018
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Pity the Tories don't go in for Seppuku in situations like this.

Because Seppuku is grounded in honour.

Chris the Tall 09 Jul 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Theresa May is pinning all her hopes on England winning the World Cup, before a snap autumn election! Worked for Wilson in 66

Phil79 09 Jul 2018
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Pity the Tories don't go in for Seppuku in situations like this.

The Tories are far to busy stabbing each other in the back to consider that!

OP The Lemming 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Phil79:

> The Tories are far to busy stabbing each other in the back to consider that!

Gove is in Poll Position, sharpening all his pointy things.

Harry Jarvis 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Theresa May is pinning all her hopes on England winning the World Cup, before a snap autumn election! Worked for Wilson in 66

A commonly held misconception. Wilson's election win was in March 1966, the World Cup followed in July 1966. 

Chris the Tall 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

I stand corrected 

Meanwhile BoJo has resigned - leadership challenge imminent?

God help us all.

British politics is an insane farce at the moment.

Post edited at 15:16

It's looking exactly as if the Hard Brexiteers/Far Right are planning a coup, with Boris as leader.

stevieb 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> It's looking exactly as if the Hard Brexiteers/Far Right are planning a coup, with Boris as leader.

You think? 

I thought it looked like boris has got his timing all wrong again, and followed davis and Baker out of the door. 

I know I’m not a natural boris supporter, but doesn’t he look like damaged goods to everyone? 

In reply to DaveHK:

> Because Seppuku is grounded in honour.

They actually had forced Seppuku for disgraced samurai as well as the honour based voluntary Seppuku.

Just thought I'd mention it on the off chance Theresa May is surfing UKH.

In reply to stevieb:

Yes to most of that. But I think you underestimate the enormous size of the man's ego.

Removed User 09 Jul 2018
In reply to stevieb:

> I know I’m not a natural boris supporter, but doesn’t he look like damaged goods to everyone? 

I'm not sure what BJ would have to do be regarded as damaged goods considering his recent and not so recent past. It beggars belief that he would ever rise higher than shoe-in MP for some backward top hat wearing blue dyed Tory seat. 

In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

> than shoe-in MP for some backward top hat wearing blue dyed Tory seat. 

Rees-Mogg got that slot, I think...

Ramblin dave 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> It's looking exactly as if the Hard Brexiteers/Far Right are planning a coup, with Boris as leader.

We are properly, properly screwed if there's a leadership challenge. Given how long the leadership process takes, the timeframes involved in getting a functional deal in place, and the deadline in March of next year, it's basically equivalent to forcing No Deal whatever the result.

Post edited at 15:43
 stevieb 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

Yes, I may be wrong, Boris’s decision appears to be very popular with the hard brexit express readership. 

elsewhere 09 Jul 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The EU must be tearing their hair out or pissing themselves laughing that the only significant negotiations are within the Tory party rather than between the UK & EU.

In reply to Ramblin dave:

> We are properly, properly screwed if there's a leadership challenge. Given how long the leadership process takes, the timeframes involved in getting a functional deal in place, and the deadline in March of next year, it's basically equivalent to forcing No Deal whatever the result.

We're properly screwed already, but you're right, it's looking now as if it'll get even worse. From the way the PM has just been speaking the Commons in the last few minutes it's looking more likely than ever that we're heading for No Deal.

jkarran 09 Jul 2018

> Meanwhile BoJo has resigned - leadership challenge imminent?

What a bastard. If this turns into the coup it looks like we're stuffed. Of course so are they, the anger when their no-deal bullshit turns into another financial meltdown and food shortages will be mental, they'll be lucky to get out with their lives.

jk

Removed User 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Which is what they wanted all the time.

Phil79 09 Jul 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> Gove is in Poll Position, sharpening all his pointy things.

Closely followed by Boris it seems. 

Omnishambles.

Andy Johnson 09 Jul 2018

> Meanwhile BoJo has resigned - leadership challenge imminent?

Yes. He currenly has one of the top three jobs in the government. For him to choose to resign means he must have a high certainty that the brexit contingent will (a) be able to deliver enough votes to force a leadership contest, and (b) they will support his candidacy for leader and PM. Rees-Mogg will have been whispering this into his ear all morning.

Meanwhile, in an office somewhere in Brussels, Michel Barnier tilts his chair back, put his feet up on his desk, and decides to finish that novel he started last month.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...