UKC

David Roberts RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 23 Aug 2021
In reply to 65:

He made me read Terray again, 45 years after first picking up the book. It was somehow totally different this time around. i knew the places that he wrote about, and some of the mountains. That makes a big difference. The book became more personal.

What a legacy he has left in his wake.

Robert Durran 23 Aug 2021
In reply to 65:

Sad news. Strangely enough, only yesterday I looked up whether he was still alive having just finished reading his wonderful "Limits Of The Known" which he wrote following his cancer diagnosis. I must read more of his books.

"the Mountain Of My Fear" will remain one of the great classics of mountaineering literature.

Doug 24 Aug 2021
In reply to 65:

Long thought he was one of the best writers on mountaineering. RIP

Offwidth 24 Aug 2021
In reply to Doug:

On the Ridge Between Life and Death should be essential reading for any serious mountaineer. Arguably the most adult look at risk out there. RIP David.

John Gresty 24 Aug 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Steve

I have a copy of this book, which I agree should be an essential read. But, and I don't know about your copy, but mine seems to be printed on recycled paper with frayed edges, very strange, never seem anything like it before it.

John

Robert Durran 24 Aug 2021
In reply to John Gresty:

> I have a copy of this book, which I agree should be an essential read. But, and I don't know about your copy, but mine seems to be printed on recycled paper with frayed edges, very strange, never seem anything like it before it.

I bought it along with Limits of The Known together off Amazon. Both are like that. Looking forward very much to reading it.

Offwidth 25 Aug 2021
In reply to John Gresty:

Mine is the 2006 Simon Schuster paperback.  Good quality.

Bobling 25 Aug 2021
In reply to 65:

Thanks for posting.  "Deborah" remains one of my all time favourites.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...