UKC

Die Lard With A Vengeance (Part 1)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 08 Nov 2021

So here it is.  Jump on board if you're a bit lardy and want a bit of support / motivation with a goal or a target or just want to support others who are struggling.

Positive vibes only, but a bit of self deprecating humour is also fine.

So, for me:

Day 1 - 20 Stone 10 pounds.  

Post edited at 09:50
 The Norris 08 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

As said in the other thread I cheated and started 2 weeks ago at 13st 7. Week 2 weigh day this morning came out as 13st 1, so I'm pleased with how it's going so far. I do yo yo between 13st 2 and 13st 8 quite easily, so I suspect the proper weight loss kind of begins now, I doubt the pounds will drop off quite so quickly!

It's my fasting day today, so just keeping occupied with other stuff and probably an early night followed by an early breakfast tomorrow!

OP ThunderCat 08 Nov 2021

In reply to Shani:

> Generally the more you have to lose, the easier it is for the first few kilos. Daily fluctuations are very common and largely attributable to water gain/loss so don't stress plateaus or small, occasional increases.

> Sounds like things are heading in the right direction for you!

Yup. This. I do mine daily and grapherise it, and the peaks and troughs from day to day are sometimes quite surprising. It's the overall trend that matters though. Getting a buzz from seeing mine going downwards over the next few weeks. 

In reply to ThunderCat:

Weight - 74.8kg

Brk - 1 slice of toast with peanut butter (c.200 cals)

Lunch - 1 ham sandwich (c.400 cals)

Dinner - home cooked, aiming for c.1000 cals

Will try to jump on the turbo for 1 hour, but will offset any calorie deficit.

dread-i 08 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Inspired by the other thread, I dusted off my instance of myfitness pal. It seems the interface has had a car crash, since I last used it. Lots of adverts for financial products, walking with alpacas and hiring private jets. A slice of pizza runs to several pages.Even simple immutable things like a poached egg have about a dozen variations. Very US focused brands and cup's as a measurement.

I've just bought NutraCheck, which is a British made calorie tracker. It has UK supermarket products and measures. The interface is cleaner as well. I'm sure there are lots of others out there, but thought I'd mention it. Especially, if you're not going to take advantage of 10% off private jet hire.

In reply to dread-i:

> Especially, if you're not going to take advantage of 10% off private jet hire.

I refuse to fly any other way

The Norris 08 Nov 2021
In reply to dread-i:

I'm using nutracheck too. 4 quid a month seems very reasonable for a very functional, non-irritating advert free app that hopefully pushes my climbing grade up a notch or two!

subtle 08 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Oh dear - hit a snag straight off 

I can cope with my self imposed No Wine Wednesday after training, sipping pints of lime cordial instead, that was to be one of the great sacrifices to help lose the paunch

But its the three weekly ironing night tonight - normally practice is bottle of red, a film and the 15 shirts - can you iron sober?

Oh dear, this is going to be a test 

philipivan 08 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I also cheated and started 2 weeks ago at 17st. 90 minute bike ride and short workout today (and a pizza), fast day tomorrow. I may have to buy some scales...

abr1966 08 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Day one....currently walking round the house wanting a beer.....

Breakfast was 2 pieces of brown toast...lunch a veg stir fry....baked potato in the oven ready shortly.

Is it just me or are darker nights harder....in the summer when I lost weight I was doing about 1300-1400 cals per day but could do a couple of hours hill walking after work....

Its dark and rainy now!!

BusyLizzie 08 Nov 2021
In reply to subtle:

Hardly any ironing gets done in my house. Time to think hard about no-iron shirts? A sad compromise, to be sure, but on the other hand ironing 15 shirts under any conditions,  let alone sober, is not something I could contemplate.

Andy Hardy 08 Nov 2021
In reply to subtle:

*If* ironed shirts are necessary, then pay someone to do it - they get cash, you get time.

colinakmc 08 Nov 2021

In reply to Shani:

....must resist....

I’m not good at this either, I find having some fruit in the house helps a lot - a few grapes or a couple of satsumas takes away the urge and doesn’t seem to be a problem calorie wise. (Cue 1000 nutritionists coming along to tell me that’s nonsense…)

Should put my money where my mouth is…lockdown weight 13st 10 lbs, target 12st 10. We shall see….

Post edited at 22:24
 Dave the Rave 08 Nov 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Have you never heard of ‘fattening up for winter’ you lot? It’s the wrong time of year for weight loss!

What if you were stuck out, on a hill, in the cold and wet! You’d wish you'd had a few pork pies then?

Don't be daft lads. It’s time for some elasticated trousers off Santa and stuff the skinny hype and get some pies and pints down yer

In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Don't be daft lads. It’s time for some elasticated trousers off Santa and stuff the skinny hype and get some pies and pints down yer

Pies and pints are exactly the reason why elasticate pants are all I can fit in right now 😭

Post edited at 22:33
 Dave the Rave 08 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Pies and pints are exactly the reason why elasticate pants are all I can fit in right now 😭

Me too. Ron hills have a purpose though, and I won’t go shopping in them. Thank feck for home delivery’s  

subtle 09 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Ok, did the dreaded weight checker this morning - 86.05kg's, target is 80kgs so a bit to go

Will do the check weekly, on a Tuesday morning then - lets the weekend bounce/excess works itself off on a Monday (ok, I'm dreaming there) 

OP ThunderCat 09 Nov 2021
In reply to subtle:

Day 1.Starting lard 22st 10. Current lard 22st 9.

Lard lost 1 pound. 

So a small but positive start. Didnt really have any big meals yesterday, just grazed on salad, fruit. Feeling a bit hungry today so I'll have something in a bit. 

Did nothing physical at all yesterday so need to move my arse a bit today

subtle 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Ok, so I said I was only going to do the scales weekly, however I stepped on them this morning - 85.55Kg, so a loss of 0.5kg in a day.

Now, my aim is to lose 6kg's, at this rate it will take me 12 days then - is that how this weight loss thing works? Doesnt seem too bad.......

OP ThunderCat 10 Nov 2021
In reply to subtle:

> Ok, so I said I was only going to do the scales weekly, however I stepped on them this morning - 85.55Kg, so a loss of 0.5kg in a day.

> Now, my aim is to lose 6kg's, at this rate it will take me 12 days then - is that how this weight loss thing works? Doesnt seem too bad.......

Blimey. In about 160 days you'll have negative weight and will need an anchor to stop you drifting off! 

In reply to ThunderCat:

Day 3.Starting lard 22st 10. Current lard 22st 6

Lard lost 4 pound. 

Good start then. Obviously big losses to be expected in the first few days, then leveling out to a more healthy and sustainable number. 

elsewhere 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Week 1 (May 2021) 85.1kg

Week 25 (this week) 70.2kg (towards top of healthy BMI range)

Target weight 70kg as I was in thirties, 64kg as I was in twenties may be a bit extreme?

Certainly feel much fitter.

I suppose now I have to make it a permanent change in diet, lifestyle or self-discipline. Never having lost weight before I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe this thread will help.

My wife reckons daily weigh-in is a bad idea as it is not healthy to fixate on what is mostly noise of how hydrated you are or how long since a big pee/crap. Judging how my weekly weight loss fluctuates, I think she's right that a weekly weigh-in is better.

Useful guidance on weight loss - https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/start-the-nhs-weight-loss-plan/

Post edited at 10:53
In reply to elsewhere:

> Week 1 (May 2021) 85.1kg

> Week 25 (this week) 70.2kg (towards top of healthy BMI range)

> Target weight 70kg as I was in thirties, 64kg as I was in twenties may be a bit extreme?

> Certainly feel much fitter.

> I suppose now I have to make it a permanent change in diet, lifestyle or self-discipline. Never having lost weight before I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe this thread will help.

> My wife reckons daily weigh-in is a bad idea as it is not healthy to fixate on what is mostly noise of how hydrated you are or how long since a big pee/crap. Judging how my weekly weight loss fluctuates, I think she's right that a weekly weigh-in is better.

Good effort there!

My wife agrees with the daily weigh in being a bad idea and that any daily gain you might see might psychologically put you on a bit of a downer.  But for me it's just part of the daily routine.  Get up, have a pee, clean my teeth, jump on the scales...and then when I get to work, log it on my spreadsheet.

I'm not really bothered that much by a daily gain.  I know it's all about the bigger trend and I'm looking forward to seeing mine start to go downwards now.

The Norris 15 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Weekly weigh this morning. 12st 12lbs.... another 3lb lost. Unfortunately this week helped by my lovely old cat passing away very suddenly on Saturday evening of a previously unknown liver cancer. I literally felt sick with grief on Sunday and couldn't really face eating. Who'd have thought a little ball of fluff could have such an effect on me.

Hope everyone else had a better weekend and remain on track for their goals.

Andy Hardy 15 Nov 2021

In reply to Shani:.

> My BF appears to be averaging downwards by 0.3% this week. 

How are you able to measure BF to such resolution? (Which is my way of asking if 0.3% isn't just "noise")

elsewhere 15 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Monday morning weigh in - 69.9kg, lost 0.3kg quite please considering the snacking.

Target weight 70kg, maybe 65kg. Not sure.

Forest Dump 16 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Just weighed myself, back up to 15.4, from a pre COVID high of 15.7.

I did manage to get down to 14.8 but while running I was constantly hungry, so got used to eating more.  Running mileage then dropped significantly but appetitie didnt, so back on the wrong side of 15.

NHS BMI app reckons my healthy range is 10st 4 to 13st 13. Aiming for just under 14st then!!

I suffet from fibromyalgia so use food (badly) in an attempt to overcome fatigue. Going to have to crack that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...