UKC

Disposable BBQs - some progress at last

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CantClimbTom 15 Jun 2021

As an update to the previous thread (now archived) I note Coop will no longer sell disposable BBQs in or near (1 mile) national parks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57480783

As discussed already in the old thread it doesn't stop someone buying them elsewhere but it is a small step forwards (IMHO)

Post edited at 17:14
 Alkis 15 Jun 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

That 1 mile seems like an interesting choice. I have a very distinct feeling that the Matlock Coop, for instance, falls outside that!

toad 15 Jun 2021

The coop opposite my local park sells them, the grass now looks like a chess board. Stop selling them, full stop.

A mile is a ridiculous figure. People will pack these before they leave home

Xharlie 15 Jun 2021

A small step forwards is better than nothing, I suppose -- even if it is probably calculated to actually also be nothing -- but, frankly, the solution in this case seems so incredibly simple and clear-cut, I'm not satisfied with just a small step.

BAN THEM!

Nobody NEEDS a disposable BBQ, the experience of cooking on one is abysmal and the thought of eating something that has been exposed, during cooking, to the "combustion products" coming off one absolutely turns the stomach.

mondite 15 Jun 2021
In reply to toad:

> A mile is a ridiculous figure. People will pack these before they leave home

It does seem a pretty pointless gesture designed to do the bare minimum of box ticking whilst still getting the sales.

Been a few being used in the local park. Given the tall dry grass I can see it ending badly.

FreshSlate 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Xharlie:

> A small step forwards is better than nothing, I suppose -- even if it is probably calculated to actually also be nothing -- but, frankly, the solution in this case seems so incredibly simple and clear-cut, I'm not satisfied with just a small step.

> BAN THEM!

It's 130 shops less selling them and it's targeted to have the most effect. It also gets the issue in the news again. Well done the Coop.  

Dark-Cloud 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Xharlie:

> Nobody NEEDS a disposable BBQ, the experience of cooking on one is abysmal and the thought of eating something that has been exposed, during cooking, to the "combustion products" coming off one absolutely turns the stomach.

I'm in the ban them totally camp, its great that the move to stopping selling them has started

This was always my thought too, they stink and are are really smoky,  i can't think of anything worse to cook on really 

Also i don't really understand the "its red hot outside, lets spark up something to make it even hotter and stand in front of it cooking" give me a salad and a nice bit of bread any day...

Jenny C 16 Jun 2021

I have no objections to the "ban them completely" school of thought, but making them harder to get hold of is a step in the right direction.

I am just thinking of Australia, where they have hot plates in public parks that you can walk up to and use to BBQ your own food completely free. With facilities likes that there is no need to bring your own fire.

Xharlie 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Also i don't really understand the "its red hot outside, lets spark up something to make it even hotter and stand in front of it cooking" give me a salad and a nice bit of bread any day...

Well, I'm South African and I'd lose my citizenship and get declared exiled from my mother-land should I ever disparage the keen art of the braai, openly, but I can assure you that it isn't just my heritage that makes me say that I do love to cook on a fire, even in the heat.

But a proper one. Burning wood in a proper barrel, or wood charcoal, in the appropriate place, under the appropriate conditions, without despoiling any environment. Ashes go into the compost heap and, years later, end up in the garden, growing up plants.

And I cook at least 50% veggies on my fires. Plus breads and doughs.

The Germans really have introduced me to new ways of grilling, though. Here, you're respected not for the sheer quantity of meat and 'wors' that goes on but rather for the marinades, veggie combos, cheeses, sauces, small choice quality cuts of good meat, and the beer you're serving.

These portable rubbishes seem only good for the burning of bad bangers.

EDIT: I realise that I've been a little ambiguous and should clarify that you're not supposed to braai the beer, in Germany. It's for drinking. Which is funny because, back in South Africa, being required to pour some of your beer over the 'wors' to tame a conflagration caused by dripping fat is generally considered to be a sign that you're doing it correctly.

Post edited at 09:09
 Alkis 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Xharlie:

> These portable rubbishes seem only good for the burning of bad bangers.

Burning the *outside* of bad bangers. The inside will still be nice and pink by the time fuel runs out.

Post edited at 09:13
 PaulJepson 16 Jun 2021

It's absolutely mad that we sell something that is both 'disposable' and 'on fire'. 

OP CantClimbTom 16 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> It's absolutely mad that we sell something that is both 'disposable' and 'on fire'. 

Ban matches 

Xharlie 16 Jun 2021

Banning cheap, plastic, disposable lighters wouldn't be a bad idea.

Skip 16 Jun 2021
In reply to toad:

> The coop opposite my local park sells them, the grass now looks like a chess board. Stop selling them, full stop.

They should be banned.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...