UKC

Do any other animals sing in unison?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tlm 25 Mar 2013
Do any other animals join together to make music? I know birds sing, but isn't that usually on their own to mark territory or to get a mate - so it is a competitive, rather than a unifying experience.

It feels such a primeval thing for humans to make music together - not just singing, but playing instruments. There must be other animals that do it...
In reply to tlm: Wolves.

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear: They use rib bones from the corpses of lonely travellers as drumsticks.

Though I don't think the word 'music' as humans understand it is useful when considering other species. They do their best with what they've got, whether that's a damn good howl, banging things together or tweeting when the sun comes up.* You're average bullfrog may consider Bach's well-tempered clavier to be din beyond endurance.

T.
* or not, in Warrington.
 Ridge 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm:
Penguins. I saw a film about it, one could even dance.
 Lurking Dave 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Ridge: Cockroaches, seek out the documentary "Joe's Apartment" a fascinating insight to the dynamic social structure of these creatures.

Cheers
LD
 Philip 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Lurking Dave:

Frogs sing together like a chorus. I saw a video when I was young.
 Trangia 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm:

Sea gulls
 ring ouzel 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm: I hear that whales like a good tune - mainly sea shanties I understand.
In reply to Tony Naylor: Damn, those mice are getting down with the drum and bass...

youtube.com/watch?v=RDa3j_53FUo&

T.
 Al Evans 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Guanaco (I think thats what small Llamas are called) hum together. It's a very strange but endearing note, they all seem to sing in tune?
 Thrudge 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm:
And then there's hamsters, of course:

http://www.findmyhosting.com/web-hamster/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...