UKC

Do I expect too much?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 11 Oct 2019

Idle pondering as I am in a melancholy mood due to actions / lack of though by others

I know everyone is different, have different thoughts and ideas, come from different back grounds etc but I am increasingly becoming irritated and saddened by other peoples actions / disregard for others / selfishness - a culmination of a lot of small things but are all adding up at present to make me quite sad.

When did it become ok to drive over a zebra crossing whilst pedestrian on other side of carriageway, forcing the pedestrian to stop?

When did it become ok to stop your car, leave the engine running, lower the window and then proceed to take  a telephone call, thereby causing a tailback of traffic trying to pass you

When did it become ok to drop litter?

When did the rise of the "me, me, me" movement take place, putting these people at the centre of their universe, and trying to put then at the centre of your universe, to the detriment of all others?

When did it become ok for a professional dogwalker to take 9 dogs for a walk, all off leash, and have them roaming around a public park, dogs out of control, dogs having fun but park now empty of everyone else as they all have left

When did it become ok for people to abandon cars in cycle lanes / on grass verges / on pavements when they could simply drive a bit further, find a parking space and then walk that extra distance back

When did it become ok for people to walk around with music blaring from their phones - is that not what headphones are for?

When did it become ok for people to invade other peoples "personal space", be it either physically or through excessive noise

Etc etc etc.

Hmm, I think I may have anger issues today, but this has been building for a while now, I need a long lie down in a secluded beach I, or mountain top I think. 

JLS 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Only 10% of people are absolut f@nnies. It just feels like 90%.

In reply to subtle:

Some people are unthinking / lazy / immoral and generally crap .

As long as it's not you your OK.

I hope you feel better  soon .

It is the weekend at least.

PS: in answer to the question

Do I expect too much?

No not really.    But we have to give the benefit of doubt in certain cases.

Post edited at 09:41
 john arran 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

The 80s, I think.

ScottTalbot 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Have you just hit Middle Age? If so, welcome!!

Timmd 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Careful about it building up inside, I had to quickly escape from a hoodlum once, after dropping a Pepsi drinks cup with a straw back into the passenger window of a car and he leapt out to enact revenge, after seeing him drop it while feeling generally irked at life. 

The reality is probably that most people most of the time are considerate, and that it's the inconsiderate people who stand out. 'Most people - most of the time', hold that thought.

Post edited at 12:34
 balmybaldwin 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

This might make you feel a bit better:

youtube.com/watch?v=lh5IkmW3_LY&

In reply to subtle:

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" 

Rabbie Burns 

aultguish 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Have a w4nk, things are easier to cope with afterwards.........unless you're deeply religious, then you'll just feel guilty 😜

bouldery bits 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Speak softly and carry a big stick. 

Bobling 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

> When did it become ok for people to walk around with music blaring from their phones - is that not what headphones are for?

Or from those, actually really bloody good, speakers with a strap that teenage cyclists often patrol round with strapped to themselves.  I comfort myself with the thought that back in the 80s those enormous ghettoblasters were popular for much the same thing and they faded out of fasion so perhaps these will too?

mountainbagger 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

If it makes you feel any better, these people sometimes get their comeuppance.

I was at my daughter's primary school assembly when it had to be stopped halfway through. 60 little kids and nearly 100 adults.  One parent had parked across a neighbour's driveway. Unfortunately for them they'd been seen doing it and entering the school. They had to stand up in front of everyone (including their own child) and leave to move their car.

"Shame! Shame! Shame!" we all chanted as she skulked out, head hung low.

(Ok, I may have made that last bit up, but it was VERY satisfying).

Timmd 12 Oct 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> Have you just hit Middle Age? If so, welcome!!

I once asked my Dad if he found he got grumpier as middle age appeared, and he confirmed that he did.  Studies show that men tend to be fairly dissatisfied in their 40's before getting cheerier again too. 'Ah f*ck it, I'm here and alive, so be positive' is my attempt to adopt the right mindset while in my 30's to stop it happening before it starts, I'll wait and see I guess.

Post edited at 01:18
 Dax H 12 Oct 2019
In reply to mountainbagger:

The parking thing happens to me a lot, I live opposite a church with a church hall that seems to have an infinite amount of dance lessons and competitions going on. I never knew there were so many little girls in the world. 

Regular somrine will park over my gate. Normally when I go over they are very apologetic but sometimes they take the hump and get rude. 

henwardian 12 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Besides what other people have said, I'd probably add:

- The breakdown of community and the regulation of behaviour that brings.

- the increased number of vehicles on the roads is leading to some inconsiderate driving. It goes up every year and there isn't any sign I can see of that changing. There's probably double or more the traffic now that there was in the 80s.

- rose-tinted spectacles: Things are always changing and somehow, when we look back, most of us either selectively remember the good bits of the past and forget the bad or full on incorrectly recall the past and feel like it was better than it was.

There is a funny Jim Jeffries sketch somewhere on YouTube about how loads of the laws we see as needless and unreasonable were basically made for the 1% of people who are idiots and the other 99% then have to follow them too even though they could probably ignore them and not adversely affect anyone. Although, as it's Jim Jeffries the examples he picks are not the ones I would use to make the point.

Thunderbird7 12 Oct 2019

The whole feeling of Trump/Johnson/Brexit is weighing heavily on life at the moment - news reporting causes background anxiety and other people's selfishness is magnified.

Read a book. Limit time on t'internet looking at uselss crap. Go for a walk. Life will seem better.

That said, this place is sometimes a haven of like minded, humorous people I find...

Anyway, its not me - its everybody else....

Pete Pozman 12 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Mate, it's always been like that. There was a "Keep Britain Tidy" campaign back in the sixties, for example.

Look out for the little acts of kindness which are happening around you all the time. People let themselves down all the time but on another day they are saints. Don't give up on them. 

nniff 12 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Try a little random kindness to reset the balance.   I was riding back home last night, up a slight incline, and there was a guy on his own pushing his car.  All the traffic was streaming past.  I got off and started to push too, bike in one hand, other hand on the boot.  I rather thought he was pushing it past a barrier and then onto the pavement - turned out we were doing 150m uphill to the petrol station.  Someone else joined in for the last 30 metres.  He was very grateful - no idea where he started pushing.  Made my day feel a little more worthwhile

dunc56 13 Oct 2019
In reply to nniff:

You helped him steal a car you plank !

MonkeyPuzzle 13 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Shout out to the man yesterday who parked his transit across the pedestrian crossing at Tesco, preventing people from getting in and cars from getting out, popped his hazards on and proceeded to get out, pick up his shopping, his kids and his wife so they wouldn't get wet from the rain. Priiiiiiiick.

Sharp 13 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

"Our rage and lamentations do us more harm than whatever caused our anger and grief in the first place." Marcus Aurelius.

Dwelling on the faults of others doesn't end well for your mental health. Human's are both malevolent and benevolent in their behaviour, what you focus on is your own choice. What is causing you harm, their actions or your reaction to their actions? You can only really control the latter, which is fortunate.

planetmarshall 13 Oct 2019
In reply to aultguish:

> Have a w4nk, things are easier to cope with afterwards.........unless you're deeply religious, then you'll just feel guilty 😜

Yeah but if you're Catholic, feeling guilty feels f*cking awesome, so win-win.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...