UKC

DofE award and expeditions - Coronavirus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tobes 17 Mar 2020

Hi all, currently waiting on the Licensed Organisation to update the decision on the DofE programme. Many participants volunteer sections are based at charity shops and retirement homes whilst the upcoming expedition season could (in the possible event of an accident) put unjustifiable pressure on emergency services. 

just a straw poll - what would be the general opinion on these ‘non essential’ activities? 

Post edited at 11:11
 colinakmc 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Tobes:

Mountain rescue have posted a request to people, not to stay away from the outdoors but to keep the “adventure” level down so as to minimise chances of needing their services. Given that DOE trips tend to be well risk assessed and well backed up, might be ok. My reservation probly would be about close group living for an extended weekend and the risk of virus propagation though.

personally , when I get the chance I’ll be off to hills fairly close by and by myself.

Yanis Nayu 17 Mar 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

I think that’s generally good advice. It’s important for people to keep active but not take undue risks that increase the risk of burdening A&E and ICUs. 

OP Tobes 17 Mar 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

Yeah saw that and agree bronze/silver expeds are low key, golds can be a bit more adventurous however but that can be overcome with further risk management and planning.

Close living and compromising hygiene also standout as red flags. Cheers for the response. 

earlsdonwhu 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Tobes:

I think they are non-essential as you say. Therefore, they can be shelved.

I suspect parents will be reluctant for their kids to be heading off at the moment too.

gezebo 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Tobes:

A lot of the children will all be in school together anyway and we all know how grotty and disgusting they are so if they are going to catch anything they’ll already have it. I’d be happy for them to crack on.

I can appreciate that  open golds where participants may not have each other and travel from all over the place may be different 

HakanT 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Tobes:

My daughter's Silver practice expidition in early April was just cancelled. I can't say I have an issue with that. Her school is closed as of tomorrow, so she will be home anyway.

marsbar 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Tobes:

Anything with older people might be worth a risk assessment.  Perhaps it could be changed to shopping for older people and delivering to doorstep without getting near?  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...