UKC

Dog doesn't like dead things!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 13 Oct 2021

My husband came home from work today with 2 pheasants. The dog ran and hid under the table! He has chased live pheasants in the hills, so definitely knows what they are. He spent ages cautiously sticking his head round the corner and then retreating! Eventually he came close enough to sniff it (after maybe 10 minutes of me rewarding him every time he stepped closer), and skulked away again!

Sometimes I think he's not really a dog! 😂🤣

mondite 13 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

what do you feed him? Although he could be being really sneaky and stacking up the treats.

That or there is something wrong with them so possibly best to feed them to someone else instead.

In reply to girlymonkey:

Does he normally try to chase pheasants, and do you shout at him not to...?

OP girlymonkey 14 Oct 2021
In reply to mondite:

That's the even funnier thing, we feed him raw but he was very suspicious of the bit I offered him! He's a funny creature!

In reply to captain paranoia:

He does try to, but doesn't get shouted at. 

He doesn't ever like dead things, if you come across dead rabbits and other such things on walks he will skirt around them too. It always makes me laugh and I'm always sure it's not normal dog behaviour! Lol

Dax H 14 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Ours think a dead bird is the bestest toy ever. They won't eat dead things but throwing them around..... 

In reply to Dax H:

My husband's dogs that he had when he was a kid would have rolled in it.

Wainers44 14 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> My husband's dogs that he had when he was a kid would have rolled in it.

Thats all our Springer wants to do. The mankier and smellier the better. Yuk.

J101 14 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Mine has no interest in anything dead he finds on a walk, unless it's really far gone then he has a roll in it.

He did manage to catch himself a partridge the other day and I have no idea how given his tactic is to noisily charge and he's not very fast.

Duncan Bourne 14 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well! Now we know how much he'll be come the zombie apocalypse

Tringa 14 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Years ago when we had two dogs, one would ignore anything smelly, not avoid them just not bothered. It was perhaps understandable as she was a Bearded Collie and for her, water was by far the most interesting thing.

The other dog, a cairn terrier loved to roll in cow pats and long dead animals.

Our current dog, a crossed fell terrier is not interested in dead animals but it keen on rolling in, and eating(!) fox poo.

Dave

In reply to Tringa:

Thankfully ours doesn't eat the fox poo, but he does love to roll in it. I generally think he's quite intelligent, but he doesn't seem to have made the link between fox poo and showers (which he doesn't like!)

James Malloch 14 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> He does try to, but doesn't get shouted at. 

> He doesn't ever like dead things, if you come across dead rabbits and other such things on walks he will skirt around them too. It always makes me laugh and I'm always sure it's not normal dog behaviour! Lol

Our cocker also loves to flush out grouse. But if he comes across any dead ones then he doesn’t even give them a second glance. Though he was certainly interested in the cape we put on a training dummy…

The only time I’ve seen him take an interest in anything dead was this week with a mouse (or other small rodent…). He spent a while hitting it with his paw - looked very confused why it wasn’t playing!

Billhook 14 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Perhaps he thought you were going to kill him - like the birds.

Timmd 14 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Maybe they remind him of his own mortality, and he's a very aware dog? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...