UKC

Driving in Slovenia(Locally Hired Car)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 22 May 2012
Anyone done it? Wondering if there are any problems. Can yo take a hire car over the border into Italy?
OP mypyrex 23 May 2012
Bump
 blurty 23 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

I hired a car in Italy and went the other way into Slovenia with no problems. Slovenia was as expensive as Italy we found, good climbing. Croatia cheaper, no mountains but acres of cragging.
 Morgan Woods 23 May 2012
In reply to blurty:

Hired with Europcar at Llubjiana airport. Took it to Bled then Austria via Germany and had no major issues. The only problem was getting in the wrong lane on a toll road which assumed you had a tag, but stopped by the office a week later on the way back and paid the necessary cash. I think they might have some kind of carnet type system for motorways so you might want to check that at the rental office. Cool country with friendly people....would love to go back.
 Trangia 23 May 2012
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> (In reply to blurty)
>
> Cool country with friendly people....

And a tongue twisting language which is impossible for a two week tourist to get to grips with....
 SCC 23 May 2012
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
> [...]
>
> And a tongue twisting language which is impossible for a two week tourist to get to grips with....

..which doesn't matter because everyone you are likely to have dealings with has at least a smattering of English / French and all the people we spoke to in Restaurants, shops, bars, hotels, etc spoke perfect English.

Si
 Trangia 23 May 2012
In reply to SCC:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> [...]
>
> ..which doesn't matter because everyone you are likely to have dealings with has at least a smattering of English / French and all the people we spoke to in Restaurants, shops, bars, hotels, etc spoke perfect English.
>
> Si

Except for the barber who kept me waitimg while he cut everyone elses's hair ahead of me because he had assumed I was a German! He had fought with the Partisans during WW2.

When he discovered I was English he was overcome with remorse and cut it for free!
 iksander 23 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: We went from Slovenia into Austria no problems, but be aware that in Slovenia Google navigation doesn't work - first stop after the airport was a petrol station to buy a map. Springs to life as soon as you cross the border out of the country though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...