UKC

Eagle poisoned - Invercauld Estate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AllanMac 10 May 2021

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2021...

This is obviously deliberate. Killing a hare (which is bad enough), lacing it with poison and leaving it lying on grouse moor in order to kill raptors. 

The police are ‘looking into it’.

Invercauld Estate near Braemar have form on this. Setting traps intended to snare birds of prey on at least two other occasions.

Lawful Deterrents and fines against this kind of outrage obviously aren’t enough, because it happens time after time on many other shooting estates. 

Removed User 10 May 2021
This post contains false information
In reply to AllanMac:

You'll notice ( pointed out elsewhere by a crofter who has been losing lambs to crows) that the bait was a dead lamb.

Probably a farmer trying to stop his lambs being attacked, its lambing season. I think it's important to point this out before we get the usual rants...

Ridge 10 May 2021
In reply to Removed User:

> You'll notice ( pointed out elsewhere by a crofter who has been losing lambs to crows) that the bait was a dead lamb.

> Probably a farmer trying to stop his lambs being attacked, its lambing season. I think it's important to point this out before we get the usual rants...

Oh, that's perfectly acceptable behaviour then.

mondite 10 May 2021

> You'll notice ( pointed out elsewhere by a crofter who has been losing lambs to crows) that the bait was a dead lamb.

Where are you getting that from since its stated as a hare by those who actually found it.

> Probably a farmer trying to stop his lambs being attacked, its lambing season. I think it's important to point this out before we get the usual rants...

Possibly but given it was found in muirburn close to shooting butts there is a more obvious candidate despite the usual suspects doing their best to point in a different direction.

Removed User 10 May 2021
In reply to mondite:

The photo?

Removed User 10 May 2021
In reply to Ridge

> Oh, that's perfectly acceptable behaviour then.

Not at all. I thought it worth pointing out though that gamekeepers aren't the only people who kill wildlife to protect their stock.

smally 10 May 2021

Except the OP clealy states the poisoned bait was a mountain hare, as can be seen in a pic in the linked article. It's also stated the remains were found on a grouse moor.

Why is it worth pointing out this farmer/lambing reasoning? A poisoned golden eagle is a poisoned golden eagle whatever the land management regime it is found on. 

OP AllanMac 10 May 2021

Does it matter if it’s a lamb or a hare, planted by Estate staff or a local sheep farmer? An eagle has been deliberately, callously and unlawfully poisoned.

’Usual rants’ are quite justified, given the seriousness of the crime.

I posted this thread in order to increase awareness that this vile behaviour by those who own vast acreages of land can still flout the law with virtual impunity. Fines for them are just pocket change, and are not a serious deterrent.

deepsoup 10 May 2021

> The photo?

You think?  It looks much more like a hare than a lamb to me.

Post edited at 13:36
 mondite 10 May 2021
In reply to smally:

> Why is it worth pointing out this farmer/lambing reasoning?

There is some very deliberate spinning going on with this story to try and shift it away from the grouse moor and blame the farmers instead.

CantClimbTom 11 May 2021

> The photo?

Wow, you're right!!! It's not a hare or a lamb --  They've left a dead bird as bait,  the evil  $^$&***  !!!

Edit, a real stroke of luck... the estate is owned by the Chief of Clan Farquharson ...  Alwyne Arthur Compton Farquharson of Invercauld, Chief of the Name and Arms of Farquharson, 16th Baron of Invercauld and Omnalprie, MC, JP; 

As a JP (Justice of the Peace) he'll be able to have the matter investigated, brought to his court and Judge the matter himself. 

Post edited at 16:46
 Bottom Clinger 11 May 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I'm glad someone else has spotted this.  Imagine using a dead golden eagle as bait to poison a hare!  A carrot would be much easier.

Edit:  I don't mean the metaphorical carrot, coz hares don't understand metaphors, I mean an actual carrot.

Post edited at 16:47

I'm pleased to see that your attempts to excuse this criminality have been flagged by UKC as containing false information.

mondite 13 May 2021
In reply to AllanMac:

Looks like even their fellow grouse moor owners are unimpressed by the current explanation. They have left the partnership between the Cairngorms national park authority and six (now five) grouse moors.

https://cairngorms.co.uk/invercauld-estate-leaves-the-east-cairngorms-moorl...

Ridge 13 May 2021
In reply to mondite:

> Looks like even their fellow grouse moor owners are unimpressed by the current explanation. They have left the partnership between the Cairngorms national park authority and six (now five) grouse moors.

You must have to go some to upset your fellow raptor exterminators!

wintertree 13 May 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> You must have to go some to upset your fellow raptor exterminators!

Breaking the 11th commandment...

Dave the Rave 13 May 2021
In reply to AllanMac:

They should close the estate for a season for every raptor found killed.

mondite 19 May 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Two more harriers disappear under mysterious circumstances.

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2021/05/18/police-appeal-fo...

Its a double win for those who almost certainly helped them disappear since the nests they were supporting were on RSPB land so look forward to announcements saying no/limited successful nests on RSPB land skipping over the fact the birds generally range outside the RSPB area and for some mysterious reason dont return.

Lankyman 19 May 2021
In reply to mondite:

That's a shocking and depressing statistic at the end of the report: 56 hen harriers reported 'missing'0 since 2018. I've been priveliged to see harriers twice (in Bowland).

Post edited at 09:44
 Ridge 19 May 2021
In reply to mondite:

Yes, saw that article. Bastards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...