UKC

Facebook marketplace/PayPal scam?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’m flogging a partially working Bosch SDS drill on marketplace, and have been contacted by a guy in Bradford who wants me to post it. 
I only advertised locally (Buxton). He wants to pay via PayPal. 
Am I right to be suspicious? What’s going on here?

J101 27 Sep 2021
In reply to Frank the Husky:

It might be he's trying to cover himself from being scammed. Personally I'd insist on a bank transfer myself as a seller but then the buyer has no recourse if you don't send the drill so I can see why they'd be wary.

DobloDan 27 Sep 2021

It could possibly be a scam.. But all I would look out for is a fake PayPal receipt. The only detail you need to give him is your email address for PayPal.

If you don't follow any dodgy links, check your account, withdraw the money to your bank and the money is there legit then post away! 

LastBoyScout 27 Sep 2021

Depends if he uses PayPal as "buying from a business" or "friends and family" - the former has a recourse if it doesn't arrive, which is probably what he's after.

You could accept his payment, but post via tracked and signed for delivery, so he can't pull a fast one on non-delivery.

Whether he then tries it on with "not as described" is another story...

In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks. It’s very clearly and carefully  described in the ad which is why I want so little for it. 
Something feels off about it but I can’t quite put my finger on it. Apart from why you’d want a knackered drill...

rj_townsend 27 Sep 2021

If something feels off, it normally is. I cut a bit of slack on Marketplace as communications from buyers are often badly/lazily written but if he's paid via PayPal the risk to you seems low.

One could ask why you're trying to sell a knackered drill and then second-guessing why someone would want to buy it...

deepsoup 27 Sep 2021

If you advertised on Facebook Marketplace, you didn't 'only advertise locally'.  If someone from further afield was looking for what you're selling, it's not at all suspicious that they found it.  (Nor that they'd ask you to post it, given that it's hardly convenient to come and pick it up.)

I'm not saying it definitely isn't a scam, but those things are not in themselves suspicious.  If the prospective buyer were in Budapest instead of Bradford, maybe..  (And if they wanted to pay you by some whacky scheme, or overpay you and have you give them 'change' somehow, deffo.)

If you accept payment by Paypal and post it, the worst that can happen is that the buyer will fraudulently claim it never arrived or that it did and was 'not as described', and pursue a refund via Paypal. 

It's a risk you can avoid by insisting on cash on collection from a local buyer - how likely do you think it is that you'll find one in Buxton?  I guess you'd be looking for someone who has the same model of drill broken in a different way and is hoping to cannibalise one for parts to fix the other - seems a bit niche to me but you never know your luck.

E2A:  Also, what rj_townsend said^. 
If you can't imagine why anyone would want to buy it, why are you trying to sell it?

Post edited at 12:31
 artif 27 Sep 2021

Not sure what is suspicious. I've just sold some tools on marketplace, I'm in the SE and the buyer was in S. Wales, payment via paypal etc. no problems at all.

Wire Shark 27 Sep 2021

Why would it be a scam?  People buy stuff using paypal all the time and have it posted.  Selling "knackered drills" - now THAT sounds like a scam.

stubbed 27 Sep 2021

I sell a lot of second hand things and while it might be a scam, it might not. Is it an amount of money you'd be bothered about losing? If so, then the only way to guarantee not being scammed is to insist on cash on collection. I wouldn't accept a bank transfer (that can be reversed) or paypal (which generally find in favour of the buyer when it is your word against his). 

I would also suggest that if you want a wider reach for your sales, i.e. not local, then you are better protected with ebay, as couriers can be arranged by the buyer and covered with the collection code etc. to demonstrate that the buyer accepted it.

girlymonkey 27 Sep 2021

I regularly buy things on marketplace, ask for them posted and pay by PayPal. I am happy to pay bank transfer if seller prefers, but PayPal is easy and more secure. 

Doesn't sound dodgy to me

timjones 27 Sep 2021

> Thanks. It’s very clearly and carefully  described in the ad which is why I want so little for it. 

> Something feels off about it but I can’t quite put my finger on it. Apart from why you’d want a knackered drill...

If you can't understand why someone would want to buy your kanckered drill it would appear that all you have to lose is a knackered drill that no-one would want

Babika 27 Sep 2021

As long as you post it with a recorded delivery eg Hermes I can't see a problem?

As to selling broken things, I'm always amazed that people want to buy my empty ink cartridges, old climbing ropes etc. But there's a market for everything and I find it deeply satisfying when stuff is reused and recycled rather than going into landfill

CantClimbTom 27 Sep 2021

It's a broken drill...  the criminal demand will be huge. Inevitably you'll get scammed and it'll get shipped out to the Middle East in a ship hidden container hidden amongst some Ferraris or something as cover.

It's sad how this just keeps happening, the police are losing against the tide

Pglossop 28 Sep 2021

In reply to LateToTheParty013:

Cool story bro. 
I use PayPal for buying and selling. Had the occasional claim that the article never arrived, usually with clothing- I always use a service with proof of delivery. Otherwise no issues. 

I’ve currently got a bike on FB marketplace, and had an offer to have cash sent in an envelope by UPS, then they will send TNT to collect the bike. From a male user with a very recent profile, no posts, and profile pic of a 65 year old woman. I think that might be dodgy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...