UKC

Fakro Loft Ladder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Slightly strange request - I've tried some DIY forums with no avail.

Does anyone have a Fakro loft ladder? I'd like to ask you a few questions about the hinges if so!

TIA!

bigdrew 14 Oct 2021
In reply to David Kirsfelds:

I fitted one in my last house so may be able to help?. What's the question....

I’ve got one.

Thanks for the responses - can you tell me whether the hinges between the ladder sections are removable or are they ‘anti-tamper’ style fixings?

I have an awkward space to work with so would like to reduce the minimum ceiling height further with some after market modifications.

Based on my one which is a three section ladder one and is approx 5 yrs old in case it makes any difference - there are no anti tamper fixings anywhere. All appear to be standard cross head screws, hexagon headed bolts and T nuts (though there are two hex headed bolts for the top hinge of the brackets that stop the door dropping fully).

The top ladder section that is fixed to the hatch door has four two way (up/down along door and in/out to door) adjustable slider brackets as standard all fixed using standard cross head screws. Mine has scope therefore for minor adjustments to move the ladder up or down by a max of approx 55mm based on that alone which allows some adjustment to cope with over all length for floor coverings etc. 

Out with the standard adjustment, I have my own thoughts that there are quite a few other ways to make some form of length adjustments. If you wish to hear them let me know.

chris_r 15 Oct 2021

I cut the legs on the bottom of the third section down to the correct length for my landing height, that's very simple. If you need to take the entire section off, mine is held on by 8mm headed bolts, nothing special.

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide this info - very useful!

The minimum ceiling height of the ladder I am looking at is 253cm whereas my ceiling is 242cm, so unfortunately the 55mm won't quite do it. I am interested to hear your other thoughts about making length adjustments though - I'm looking at a 4 section ladder and was considering taking some length off the lower three sections in order to achieve the reduction in height.

In reply to chris_r:

As mentioned above, unfortunately my ceiling height is out of the manufacturer's normal range - I did a bit of rough maths and worked out that I would be left with a 12cm ladder section if I cut the length I needed off the bottom section :-D

Thanks for the info about the bolts though, that's good to know.

Ok, with further details, it seems you have to “loose” 11cm but it’s a 4 section one you’re after which I’ve not seen so may be different fixings or the way it folds, etc. Indeed a quick google shows different hinges and possibly different bracket fixings to what I have and may have additional safety locking type devices if not other differences as well. That will change a lot of thoughts I had originally, sorry.

However, some thoughts anyway though these maybe wholly irrelevant. Hope they are of some help.

My ceiling height is approx 240 cm so with the 55mm adjustment on my Fakro 3 section ladder I have would have more than enough scope to alter to your 242 as I have mine at the shortest it can go. That’s besides the in/out adjustments of the brackets from the door which change the angle so effectively in practice can add or remove additional length adjustments in conjunction with the up/down adjustments.

Could you consider a 3 section one and check spec for that to see if it works instead? Or Fakro do sliding extension versions rather than folding so could that type work as least dependant on length?

Notwithstanding checking other available ladders, etc., I can see various ways to cut and adjust my style, but personally though I would try and avoid any cutting of sections and use all the available adjustments and possibly changing the angle of the open hatch door and it’s limit brackets first, all of which should alter the effective length quite a lot. Fakro does though show in their manual about cutting the lower section. Cutting three sections would probably compromise the integrity potentially too much; best seek professional advice on that.

There is some (minor) scope in the fitting height within the joists to consider if this helps in addition to the other adjustments (though possibly with some additional facing needs to finish aesthetically). There is also minor scope of cutting up to 50mm off the feet without affecting any of the treads on mine.

The angle of the hatch when open will alter things considerably if this is thought through. Though mine was fitted professionally it was never adjusted properly and the way it was installed the second section from the top never fully butted onto the top section. It essentially was just like a two section ladder resting on the open hatch albeit held firmly by the pair of hinges attaching it to the fixed top section on the door. Worked fine in practice for a long time like that and though it wasn’t meant to be that way, nor the safest for structural integrity of the original design, I took a while to get around to adjusting it to allow the two upper sections to fully butt each other! This of course steepened the ladder angle.

The overall length, in relation to height of ceiling, in practice will depend on the range of angles available from the hatch door itself. The 55mm slot is just the up down scope, and does not take into account any altered angle and in practice this effectively changes my ladder length (a change of feet placement of some 140-150mm linear on the floor albeit with a small change in hatch angle as well (estimate as mine is on soft carpet which makes it hard to measure accurately). Thus, in addition change of ladder angle over a range of angles effectively changes the overall length of the ladder in practice.

I’ve never altered the latter with mine, (and not any good at physics to work change of length in relation to change of angle!), but there could be scope to “loose” another 10cm of length at a guess and still maintain the structure and it’s weight bearing spec otherwise.

Another option would be other than Fakro models and look for say a fully sliding multi sectional one that’s contained within the length of the hatch door.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...