UKC

Farm vending machines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/yeldersley-farm-milk-v...

Noticed this in the local .

Quite a interesting idea. 

Any others of these in operation around the country.  Derbyshire can't be a global leader in this can we.

TWS

bigbobbyking 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

There was one in the French village of St. Genis (just outside Geneva) when I was there about 10 years ago... In fact France and Switzerland seemed way ahead with their un-staffed facilities e.g. petrol stations and pizza vending machines! I assume that is because their staff have a strong resistance to working unsocial hours: good for them!

Fozzy 24 Jun 2020

We’ve got an excellent one near me (Herefordshire) that does eggs, fruit & veg, various meats, cheeses & milk, all from either the farm that it’s on or within a very tight radius. 
It’s got 50 or so small refrigerated metal compartments that you pick from; insert cash or swipe on contactless, put the number in & the door pops open. Bloody brilliant idea. 

MikeSP 24 Jun 2020

There's a similar one in Pontardulais

https://m.facebook.com/pg/T%C5%B7-Llaeth-282146106042641/about/

I haven't tried it yet, just a bit to far away.

robert-hutton 24 Jun 2020

One in Hassop in the Peak.

https://www.hassopsimplymilk.com/

Yanis Nayu 24 Jun 2020

Got a couple round here. 

EdS 24 Jun 2020
 The New NickB 24 Jun 2020
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Recent visits to France suggest to me that the boulangeries that were seemingly ubiquitous in small villages in the past have been in large part replaced with baguette vending machines.

Anti-faff 24 Jun 2020

There’s on in St. Buryan that does unpasteurised milk from guernsey cows. Lovely stuff. 

jimtitt 24 Jun 2020

Fairly common here in Bavaria, I go past two on the way to work. Milk, eggs, cheese etc. There's also a meat one outside the butchers in the small town I go through.

toad 24 Jun 2020

Because of unpasteurized milk being inherently dodgy, they have to sell it from vending machines, so if you die of brucelosis,  it isn't their fault because you chose to buy their death juice yourself 

In reply to toad:

> Because of unpasteurized milk being inherently dodgy, they have to sell it from vending machines, so if you die of brucelosis,  it isn't their fault because you chose to buy their death juice yourself 

I sense your not a fan of milk ?

toad 24 Jun 2020

Pasteurization was one of the biggest public health breakthroughs, but no. Let's go back to playing lacto-roulette with our muesli 

In reply to toad:

Are all these machine selling unpasteurised milk? 

I wouldn't drink the stuff.  Not a big milk drinker. 

Occasionally a protein shake .  

I remember reading a website years ago called notmilk.com

Made me think .  They claim that dumped milk is more polluting than raw sewage. And the bit about all the pustules and shit in the milk wasn't nice to read.  

neilh 24 Jun 2020
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Italian farms are alos good. Came across one once in the dolomites selling cheese! Very entertaining.

gethin_allen 24 Jun 2020

Not so much a farm vending machine but I was quite pleased to find a milk vending machine that filled whatever bottle you want to use in the centre of Ljubljana. It was very handy as we were travelling around and only wanted a small amount.

nufkin 24 Jun 2020

>  the bit about all the pustules and shit in the milk wasn't nice to read.  

KFC seem to have a thriving business on basically the same thing

La benya 24 Jun 2020

Watch a few videos from dairy farmers on youtube (there are many Tom Pemberton/ 10th generation dairy farmer) and then come back to let me know if you still believe the myth about puss in your milk.

I'm sure at some time, somewhere it may happen- but judging from what you can actually see on these farm and the processes they (and presumably the rest of the industry have) there is no way these scare stories are true.

A dairyman knows intimately their animals, they know when they're ill. there would be no benefit of milking them with a possibility of a sore.  They clean and disinfect eat teat before milking! Any animal on medication is rotated out of milking herd and dried up for a period of time.

You're worried about shit in your milk.... what do you think they put on vegetables to make them grow.... even more so the organic stuff that's meant to be healthier

In reply to La benya:

> Watch a few videos from dairy farmers on youtube (there are many Tom Pemberton/ 10th generation dairy farmer) and then come back to let me know if you still believe the myth about puss in your milk.

> I'm sure at some time, somewhere it may happen- but judging from what you can actually see on these farm and the processes they (and presumably the rest of the industry have) there is no way these scare stories are true.

> A dairyman knows intimately their animals, they know when they're ill. there would be no benefit of milking them with a possibility of a sore.  They clean and disinfect eat teat before milking! Any animal on medication is rotated out of milking herd and dried up for a period of time.

> You're worried about shit in your milk.... what do you think they put on vegetables to make them grow.... even more so the organic stuff that's meant to be healthier

Calm down . 

I said I read it .  It sounded grim.  I haven't personally condemned milk.  Being as I still drink the stuff.

La benya 24 Jun 2020

eh?

You said you wouldn't drink the stuff because of what you read.  I gave you some information to the contrary.

Ridge 24 Jun 2020

A couple near me, plus a lot of honesty boxes for potatoes, veg etc.

Yanis Nayu 24 Jun 2020
In reply to toad:

That’s partly true. Some vending machines sell pasteurised milk - it’s a better business model for the farmer. Unpasteurised milk is only permitted to be sold at the farm gate. 

In reply to La benya:

At no point did I assert that I didn't because of that website. It was just a info that I remembered from years ago.  

I just don't drink lots of milk.  But I drink it.

You know that vegetables grow in filthy soil . I eat loads of them.  

La benya 24 Jun 2020

OK mate.  Have a chill day

Dax H 24 Jun 2020
In reply to La benya:

One of life's great delights is a pint of close to ice cold full fat milk. 

Crazylegs 24 Jun 2020

There's a milk vending machine at Low Springs Farm in Baildon. They also have a variety of flavoured syrup shots to add to make a "milkshake". It's been a great destination to motivate the kids on local bike rides.

Fozzy 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> One of life's great delights is a pint of close to ice cold full fat milk. 

Combined with an unhealthy amount of chocolate & caramel digestives.  

JohnBson 24 Jun 2020
In reply to toad:

> Pasteurization was one of the biggest public health breakthroughs, but no. Let's go back to playing lacto-roulette with our muesli 

Quite frankly two of the best posts I've seen on here. I wonder what your thoughts on the Raw Food movement as a whole are?

FactorXXX 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

>  Unpasteurised milk is only permitted to be sold at the farm gate. 

As provided by the Farmers wife I presume?

Post edited at 22:45
 Michael Hood 25 Jun 2020

Very disappointed by the clickbait title, I was hoping to pick up a couple of farms for some loose change 😁

In reply to Michael Hood:

> Very disappointed by the clickbait title, I was hoping to pick up a couple of farms for some loose change 😁

That's going to be a hell of a big vending machine.

cb294 25 Jun 2020
In reply to Dax H:

No, a pint of WARM, fresh milk, ideally directly from the milking machine!

CB

Timmd 25 Jun 2020
In reply to toad:

> Pasteurization was one of the biggest public health breakthroughs, but no. Let's go back to playing lacto-roulette with our muesli 

'Raw' milk has such a lovely taste though.

Edit: Erk, I didn't know all of the following:

''Raw milk is milk that has not been pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria. It can come from any animal. Raw milk can carry dangerous germs, such as Brucella, Campylobacter, Cryptosporidium, E. coli, Listeria, and Salmonella, which can pose serious health risks to you and your family.''

Post edited at 15:16
 StuDoig 25 Jun 2020

We've a couple just outside of Blackburn nr Aberdeen, I think about 4 years or so since the farm opened its own dairy operation.  They opened it due to the local (Mueller owned) dairy being closed and absurd freight charges being introduced by Mueller to pick up the milk.  

Great value organic whole milk, and now ice cream and yoghurt.  A little pricier than supermarket but 100% goes to the farmers so they actually make money on their produce so happy to pay it!

Stu

Timmd 25 Jun 2020
In reply to StuDoig: That's a great thing to have happening.  I came across a free range and organic dairy down south in the UK, which sells pretty expensive milk but will post it too different places in the UK, it's apparently greener milk because their cows wander about in the fields which is (they say) different and better environmentally, what is nice is that they get to spend time with their calves. 

If I can work on reducing the amount of milk I get through each week I may look into it, into whether it actually is greener. It'd a be another decent step along with only eating wild muldjac meat now.

Edit: I think this was the place. https://www.gazegillorganics.co.uk/our-animals-3-w.asp

Post edited at 18:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...