UKC

Faulty LFD test kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 29 Dec 2021

Just doing a test. Got to the part where you squeeze two drops - nothing. So squeezed harder. Nothing. Harder still - the nozzle blew out of the dropper and spreaded it’s gunk. 
Got another kit ready. Same thing. So I examined the nozzle - appears to be a two more piece of wading left inside, stopping any fluid getting through. I have two boxes - they are all the same. I even tried blowing air through - nothing. Anyway, rang the chemists and they will let the company know. 

wercat 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

try and find out the details of the contract in question - one of Matt's pub owning friends or perhaps someone he knows from the Cheltenham Festival?

David Alcock 29 Dec 2021

The white and green box type I presume? Because all of mine are like that. They do work if you're patient and let it percolate through, unless you've made a snotty sample that's too viscous. If so just carefully pour. Bit of a crap design really.

Mine look the same type (Orient Gene Rapid Covid-19 (Anitgen Self-test; green and white box), but I have no problem with squeezing the drops out. It’s been easy and smooth to allow the drop to form passing through whatever wadding is in situ.

BTW my pack say four drops needed for the current test box I have; last one was 2 drops from a different manufacturer.

Edit: Maybe something to do with letting it settle for one minute first?

Post edited at 13:42
cb294 29 Dec 2021

If you cannot get an easily interpretable one or two line result, here is a handy guide:

https://xkcd.com/2558/

CB

Neil Williams 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Is it perhaps there to stop thick mucus going in the test cassette as I find happens?

In reply to Neil Williams:

I guess so; it’s just like water that comes through on mine (unlike previous kits). The “filter” is around 4.5 mm thick in the top part. 

In reply to Neil Williams:

Think this may be the case. Even though I blow my nose, I shove the swab waaay up and when I have finished “squidge-ing”, the liquid is quite thick. Apols if you’re eating whilst reading this!

Same problem ( the green and white box I suppose). Unusable.

Doesn't give you a lot of confidence on the quality control of these things. I guess it was free so can't complain.

Alkis 29 Dec 2021

I had the same thing happen this morning. I repeated it and actively held the nozzle on with my other hand as I squeezed. It worked. Shite, aren't they?

FactorXXX 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Alkis:

> I had the same thing happen this morning. I repeated it and actively held the nozzle on with my other hand as I squeezed. It worked. Shite, aren't they?

I've never had it happen to me as they always just squeeze the liquid into the test tray as intended.
However, if I had one that was as described I would probably remove the nozzle and then pour the liquid into the test tray straight from the vial, shrug my shoulders and put it down to a dodgy box.

Post edited at 00:15
 Alkis 30 Dec 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

It's specifically these green and white box ones that the OP is describing, never had a problem with any other ones.

FactorXXX 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Alkis:

> It's specifically these green and white box ones that the OP is describing, never had a problem with any other ones.

The latest ones I've used are green and white also - 'Orient Gene's' to be precise.  No problems with the first box of seven, but still to use the second box.
Maybe it's just an isolated batch?
Anyway, maybe problematic for some, but should it really be an issue to the typical UKC'r who should be able to work around such problems? 
I also assume that you've reported the issue as opposed to just whinging about it on UKC...

Alkis 30 Dec 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

I mean, I didn't start a thread about it, just adding that it happened over here too. Obviously I easily worked around the problem for the second one, just held the lid on. Still not a great design.

Dax H 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Alkis:

I have never had any tests that have a filter in the vial. 

David Alcock 30 Dec 2021

You have to be patient. It takes over a minute of *gentle* squeeze to get four drops without an explosive premature ejaculation. I do believe it's a snot filter now. 

SDM 30 Dec 2021
In reply to MichaelMloppiner:

> I guess it was free so can't complain.

Do you not pay taxes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...