UKC

Finally got it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 05 Jul 2022

Covid. The day before a holiday!

Last vaccine shot was Nov 2021. Is there any benefit from that? 

How is Omega playing out?

henwardian 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

> Last vaccine shot was Nov 2021. Is there any benefit from that? 

Probably.

> How is Omega playing out?

Generally mildly. currently millions (literally) infected in the UK and zero reports of overstrained NHS or hospitalisation numbers in the news. I.e. Numbers suffering from severe covid are extremely low.

Graeme G 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Same here. Returned from USA at the weekend. Felt a bit ‘spluttery’. Tested positive Monday morning. Spent the day feeling sore and bunged up, like a flu. Now feeling significantly better. Still tired and lethargic. But definitely don’t have the Alien ‘hugger’ sitting on my face anymore.

Good luck. My boss was out of action for 3 months so I’m feeling pretty good about my own progress.

broken spectre 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Bad luck Flinticus!

Anecdotally, the people close to me who've gone down with what I assume must be BA. 4 or BA. 5 have until now evaded Covid entirely (like yourself!). Could the virus be gaming our immune systems? Since we've been 'Living with Covid' I feel as though we're on the back foot public information wise. Like Brexit, it's now a taboo subject, as if we can think it away.

MG 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Bugger about the holiday.

Another mild case here though (3days) so hopefully you're back in action soon too 

Post edited at 17:05
OP Flinticus 05 Jul 2022
In reply to MG:

Thanks

Took me until the second day to test positive when clearly I had it.

Jon Stewart 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Same here. Headache on Sunday, tested negative, sore throat and headache yesterday, tested negative so went to work (and probably infected everyone there), similar cold/flu symptoms and tested positive today.

The trouble with the LFTs seems to be that by the time you get a +ve result, you've already spread it everywhere.

Symptoms aren't too bad, cold-like with a little bit of shivery sweats. I had the original Wuhan variant in 2020 and felt much worse with that - very fluy. Not had the cough either time (so far). 

Meant to be going on a trip from the weekend...

Offwidth 05 Jul 2022
In reply to henwardian:

>zero reports of overstrained NHS or hospitalisation numbers in the news. I.e. Numbers suffering from severe covid are extremely low.

The first point isn't true although massively underreported in the press: current hospital pressures are as bad as they have ever been in summer and covid is part of that (adding to numbers when discharges are difficult, and because of the infection control and staff absences inc illness and the isolating). The second point is true: deaths are down to 300 a week with very low numbers in ICU and HDU.

Post edited at 17:20
OP Flinticus 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I've a damn persistent headache and aching limbs plus an intermittent cough. The disturbed sleep and headache is presently the worse aspect. I can sit through feeling really tired and achy: watching Netflix!

Graeme G 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

> I can sit through feeling really tired and achy: watching Netflix!

Ozark, I trust?

Sealwife 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Hope you are feeling better soon.

My household and most of my work colleagues had somehow dodged it until a fortnight ago.  Since then it’s gone through us like a dose of salts.

Twelve days post positive test now.  Have been back to work this week and feel ok apart from persistent cough which sounds like an angry seal.

OP Flinticus 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

To The Lake...pandemic scenario!

Black Summer...zombie pandemic horror

There's a theme!

Graeme G 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Might give those a look 😊

Fiona Reid 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Commiserations and get well soon. Just had it too but thankfully 2 weeks before our holiday.  Missed it during the other waves. Almost definitely caught it in the Black Isle bar in Inverness. Other half was chatting  to a chap on holiday from Germany and they were ahead of Scotland on the Omicron 4/5 wave. 3rd jab for both of us was December 2021.

Other half felt rubbish for a day tested negative and positive the next day when he felt fine bizarrely.  He had a lovely cough but that's now going thankfully.

I copped it 48 hours later.  Slightly sore throat but tested negative, next day throat still sore but cold and aching all over.  24 hours later fine and fine for 2 days (did 4 hills over the weekend hiding away from all humans). Felt a bit cack on the Monday but nothing like the first day and then fine after that save being a bit choked up. I've still got an annoying dry cough that wakes me about an hour early. I cough a bit, swear a bit and go back to sleep. 

We hopefully avoided infecting anyone else as we got sick on a Wednesday/Friday and as we both WFH we didn't have contact with anyone. We always do a test before visiting my FIL and that's how we knew one of us copped it. My other half thought it was hay-fever. I felt cack enough I'd not have gone near any humans even if I hadn't tested positive. I was a very weak positive on day 7 and negative by day 8. Other half despite having almost no symptoms took 10 days to be negative. 

Take it easy, take paracetamol regularly and fingers crossed you'll be good in a few days. 

Perhaps consider an FFP2/3 mask if you do need to go amongst people. 

Post edited at 20:31
 hang_about 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry about the holiday. I had it 3 weeks ago. Something not quite right on the Thurs, under the weather Fri but negative. Fever, cough and very sleepy over the weekend. Only tested positive Sunday. Felt fine by mid week but took full 10 days to test negative. Hope it's not too bad for you.

SouthernSteve 06 Jul 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Both of us have had had it in June. Interestingly as reported by others here, took a few days after feeling quite rough to get a positive LF. I suspect, if that is a common finding, many people with be 'taking a Lemsip' and going to work adding to the recent increases in incidence. The ZOE study shows that even those that had COVID at or just before Christmas are succumbing. I had escaped completely since being ill in April 2020 so was a bit of a shock. Race next week cancelled - definitely not up for an ultra (even a shorter one) - a real shame as was our only holiday for a while.

Post edited at 09:18
 climbingpixie 06 Jul 2022
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Interesting that we've had the opposite in my household. I felt rough Sunday night/Monday morning and tested positive. My partner also tested positive on Monday morning but didn't start showing any symptoms until last night. If I hadn't been ill on Monday he'd have been on the train and in the office for the last two days.

Anyway, 48 hours after starting to feel ill I feel pretty much fine now. Still got a bit of a cough and my body feels tired but fever, muscle soreness and headache have all cleared up. Will be taking it easy for a while anyway - my other half had quite debilitating long covid for ages after his bout in 2020 and I don't want to risk doing too much too quickly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...