UKC

Fingerprint readers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 07 Oct 2020

New phone, with fingerprint reader so decided to use that as the main phone lock.

BUT, it doesn't recognise my fingers after I've been climbing (outdoors or indoors). I understand why, just wondered what others experience of this was.

In reply to Michael Hood:

I'd only really worry when the face recognition on your phone doesn't recognise you after a night on the lash!

Jimbo C 07 Oct 2020

It's the same after doing anything that abrades your skin. After gardening, or woodwork, or even decorating. It comes back fairly quickly though. 

girlymonkey 07 Oct 2020

I've not had that problem, but I do keep unlocking it by mistake when taking out or puting it into my pocket. The reader is just where I hold it! 

Have you added all of your fingers? When it doesn't recognise one then try another.

OP Michael Hood 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Only both index fingers so far, good idea to put more on.

But only allows 3 or 4 tries before requiring a 30 second wait so reverting to the "number" unlock.

sxrxg 07 Oct 2020

My new phone has an underscreen thumb print reader and it is so much better as a climber. I can actually use it as a method of unlocking whereas with the rear mounted fingerprint scanners I have had before I have ended up turning them off and resorting to using a pin. This is now a must have feature for me. 

In reply to sxrxg:

I can see how that's better but I think screen recognition is limited to pricier phones at the moment.

I can't justify anything beyond a budget phone (and even those are pretty good nowadays) but it'll be something to consider next time I need a new phone.

Dax H 07 Oct 2020

The only time mine doesn't work is if I have recently use alcohol gel if I give it 30 seconds it's fine. 

At the start of Covid I would gel my hands before reaching for me phone and after using it because we all know how filthy phones get. 

Jenny C 07 Oct 2020

I absolutely love the fingerprint scanner on my phone. But as said above it can't read if your hands are damp. 

With the location of my scanner I find the thumb and middle finger on both hands are best, as these naturally fall in the right position so the phone just unlocks itself when I pick it up. 

My husband has a manual job and finds them useless, so sticks with a Pin code. I know many climbers who also have difficulties with fingerprint scanners, so they are handy but not perfect. 

sxrxg 07 Oct 2020

My phone (Xiaomi Mi 9t) was <£200 so the technology is trickling down to lower range handsets. Suppose it depends on what your idea of a budget phone is though. 

Alkis 07 Oct 2020

I dunno about Android phones but on my old iPhone which had a sensor I had scanned the side of my index finger too, so I could scan that before swapping to another finger.

gethin_allen 07 Oct 2020

I've found that my third and little fingers are less abraded when climbing and more useful for unlocking my phone.

I've also found that after a while my fingers must change and it takes a bit longer/becomes less reliable at recognising prints but, normal service is resumed if you go through the print registration process again.

Ridge 07 Oct 2020
In reply to sxrxg:

> My phone (Xiaomi Mi 9t) was <£200 so the technology is trickling down to lower range handsets. Suppose it depends on what your idea of a budget phone is though. 

Don't know about that particular model, but be very careful of facial recognition unlocking. The cheaper ones will unlock if a photo is used.

Philip 07 Oct 2020

I've had a few with this and it's never been reliable. I use face unlock now combined with staying unlocked in certain locations or with some devices. For normal unlock I use the pattern, which works through the plastic window on the bike bag I have for the top bar.

timjones 07 Oct 2020

> New phone, with fingerprint reader so decided to use that as the main phone lock.

> BUT, it doesn't recognise my fingers after I've been climbing (outdoors or indoors). I understand why, just wondered what others experience of this was.

I use the fingerprint reader on my phone all the time. As a farmer the challenges posed by a day climbing are minor compared to my everyday wrok and IME it is exceedingly rare for the reader to fail to work.

nathan79 07 Oct 2020

I too just got a new phone and am a newcomer to the fingerprint reader world. It seem to work okay for unlocking, but my fingerprint reader is on the middle of the right-hand side of the phone. I mistakenly clicked the option to take screenshots with the fingerprint reader and don't now how to deactivate it! I have a screenshots album that's now continuously filling up due the way I hold my phone throughout the day!

In reply to sxrxg:

My idea of budget phones is £100 max.

Although mobile phones have got lots of wonderful features I don't actually like what they do socialogocally - mainly 24x7 availability and instant response becoming normal and how that affects us mentally.

So I try to keep my phone less sophisticated than cutting edge availability.

Neston Climber 07 Oct 2020

I find its a good indication, when my fingerprint scanner works - that I haven't been climbing enough recently! This is on a Huawai that only cost £100 so probably not the most cutting edge tech. 

elsewhere 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

> I'd only really worry when the face recognition on your phone doesn't recognise you after a night on the lash!

You are still drunk. That is a TV remote control and not your phone.

kathrync 07 Oct 2020

Mine behaves ok after an indoor session or a single day out. It does often take 4-5 days to start working again if I go on a longer climbing trip. I can override mine and choose to enter the PIN instead, so I just do that for those couple of days.

Ridge 07 Oct 2020

Mine is very reliable, but if I've been running I have to revert to pattern unlock.

hang_about 07 Oct 2020

Apparently you can use your tongue instead. Avoids the problems with finger print abrasion.

Trangia 08 Oct 2020

Mine doesn't work when my finger are wet from rain, and s I've recently found out, after using hand sanitiser, particularly the more greasy low alcohol ones.

Cobra_Head 09 Oct 2020
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

> Have you added all of your fingers? When it doesn't recognise one then try another.

Only the six on the right-hand so far

metrorat 09 Oct 2020

I eventually gave up with my laptop fingerprint reader.  Had to keep re-teaching it my fingerprint, got boring. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...