/ First aid instructor/provider as a job

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Denni on 22 Oct 2012
Hi folks,
I am a stay at home dad and will be for at least the next 5-6 years, dependant on how many children we have.

I'd like to get myself doing something as my brain has turned to mush and I have thought about getting into the first aid teaching/training malarkey. I am very experienced in first aid teaching through the Military (no civilian first aid quals, just the requisite military courses) but am not current and of course civvy strasse is a different ball game entirely.

Could anyone out there give me advice on where to start, what the basic quals would be required (or rather what quals you have), if you find it is too competitive, is there enough work etc etc.

I intend to go off to St Johns ambulance to help out and take it from there with the idea of trying to network and do it part time fitting round my dad duties and my other halfs Navy career. Probably basic adult/paed first aid, first aid at work and a defib course but anything else that people suggest would help employment (CRB I imagine as well?) would also be welcomed.

Loads of questions so apologies for that but any help would be appreciated.
Little Brew - on 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Denni: The majority of trainers i know are ex-paramedics, I know the course I am doing next month is run by an ex-paramedic. best think i can think of is getting in touch with the St. Johns, Scout/Guide association etc and asking what they expect there trainers to be qualified to and going from there.
annieman - on 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Denni: I'm a FA trainer so here is my view.

There are a number of people out there selling and delivering FA training without any qualifcations, there are those that volunteer, and those that are doing it part time for beer money.

There always will be and I accept that as long as they are delivering a quality course then spreading the FA training wider is a good thing.

However if you would like to earn a living from FA training then you will need to have a minimum of PTTLS and a FAW certificate.

To deliver statutory qualifications you will need to work through an awarding body. I use ITC (Hartlepool) but there are others Qualsafe, HABC, NUCO, AoFA, Fofato and more. Some offer a training program and some will enable you to grow your experience.

When you work through an awarding body your clients will be able to check on your ability, commitment, currency (with latest regs), procedures, CPD.

The HSE management of the FAW is going to change over this winter. Theres a bit of speculation about but I'm going to wait and see. I predict that there will be a bun fight and no one with any real "teeth" to weed out the cowboys.

Some answers but maybe a few more questions, Good Luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.