UKC

Fish and chips in newspaper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 07 Mar 2021

Ok, so it widely acknowledged that Brexit was important so that we could be free of the shackles of EU regulation, pesky health and safety, etc. One of the advantages would be that we could go back to eating fish and chips out of newspaper again, but where is this happening? If the nation's chippies don't start this soon I shall be calling for another vote!

Maggot 07 Mar 2021
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Fish and chips wrapped in the Daily Mail?
Come on!  Behave.

angry pirate 07 Mar 2021
In reply to Maggot:

I'm not sure I want my food covered in sh*te 😉

wilkie14c 07 Mar 2021
In reply to bleddynmawr:

It wouldn’t be the first time i’ve eaten chips off Katie Prices’ bare chest 

bouldery bits 07 Mar 2021
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Do they still sell newspapers?

In reply to bouldery bits:

> Do they still sell newspapers?

Do they still sell the Daily Mail? 

girlymonkey 07 Mar 2021
In reply to bleddynmawr:

There should be no shortage of fish for the fish suppers anyway as we can't sell it anywhere else!

Philb1950 08 Mar 2021
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Indeed they do. Mail 1.2m Mirror 0.5m, more than all left wing papers combined. I count the Mail on a par with the Mirror. For more highbrow papers The Times, middle of the road, completely outsells the Guardian, Observer and Indy put together and for many posters on UKC this clearly demonstrates the demographic of the voting public and explains an 80 seat majority, not about to change until Labour embrace middle ground politics a la Blair. To be fair Starmer is trying but this but it will take time to oust the lunatics from running the asylum. It’s a shame but there are just not enough teachers and public sector workers to influence this outcome and although I may generalise the electorate must come too.

Luke90 08 Mar 2021
In reply to Philb1950:

I'm not sure newspaper sales are a great proxy for public opinion. Firstly, sales these days are pretty small and unrepresentative whichever way you slice it. And older generations generally tend more towards the right and more towards newspaper buying. I don't know the figures but I'd wager that the Guardian's web readership compares more favourably with the Times'.

Iamgregp 08 Mar 2021
In reply to Philb1950:

What?  The Mirror is a left wing paper whereas The Times is a right wing paper (though isn't afraid to criticise a right when government when appropriate!)

The Indy is the most centrist of the lot, but has never sold much or made any money, and there's been talk of it closing for at least the last 20 years.

I'd agree that Labour need to move more to the centre though, that's where the votes are.  If not the newspaper sales!

climber34neil 08 Mar 2021
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Dirty dicks  in Chesterfield use newspaper !

David Cowley 08 Mar 2021
In reply to climber34neil:

Dirty dicks sounds more like a magazine than newspaper..........

Ahhhhhhh i see, they use newspaper. 

In reply to bleddynmawr:

> Ok, so it widely acknowledged that Brexit was important so that we could be free of the shackles of EU regulation, pesky health and safety, etc. One of the advantages would be that we could go back to eating fish and chips out of newspaper again, but where is this happening? If the nation's chippies don't start this soon I shall be calling for another vote!

Yuck!

In reply to Luke90:

> I'm not sure newspaper sales are a great proxy for public opinion. Firstly, sales these days are pretty small and unrepresentative whichever way you slice it. And older generations generally tend more towards the right and more towards newspaper buying. I don't know the figures but I'd wager that the Guardian's web readership compares more favourably with the Times'.

Given the Guardian is free and the Times charges...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...