UKC

Fishing spots, Scotland/NW Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 12 Jul 2018

I'm starting to get into fishing and want to find a few nice mountain lochs to fish. Any recommendations for places, ideally where I won't be breaking the law or annoying anyone. General advice and info also welcome.

R

Removed User 12 Jul 2018
In reply to Roberttaylor:

You could do a lot worse than Assynt.

The fishing there is split between two associations. With either association you buy a ticket, it used to be a tenner a day, and that lets you fish any of maybe twenty or so lochs all the way from the Schoolhouse loch at Lochinver to the remote ones below Canisp, Suilven etc. A boat will cost you another tenner a day. It's all fly only though.

http://www.assyntanglinginfo.org.uk

If you want to take a walk into the hills with a rod and fish a few lochs elsewhere you're unlikely to get bothered if you're discrete, that said I generally feel I want to give something to the local economy and buy a permit. Rivers are a different story though. As they are primarily for salmon fishing the estates get pretty pissed off with people fishing them without a permit.

OP Roberttaylor 12 Jul 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks, I should add that I have a spinner only setup.

Also if anyone wants to PM me info or advice, feel free.

R

Removed User 12 Jul 2018

I vaguely remember fishing some lochs on the East side of the peninsula North of Gairloch about 50 years ago...

I think Caithness is more spinner friendly in general.

Probably best to ask around but most of the lochs I fish in the highlands are fly only and you're likely to grief from other anglers if they find you chucking metal into fly only water. Good luck anyway.

mick taylor 17 Jul 2018

I'm a keen fisherman, mainly lures for pike from my boat.  One general tip for a beginner would be to have a go for mackerel and pollock in summer (when trout fishing often fades away).  Dexter wedges cast a long way, toby spoons good, feathers (only two or three if using trout spinning rod).  Took my son pollock fishing on his seventh birthday off Elgol - first cast caught an 8 pounder !! (used a 4 inch rubber shad).  Pollock best in deep water over kelp. 

Buying lures is addictive.  Oh, if you fancy a blast for Lakeland pike just say (mainly fish Coniston, September should be good).

jk25002 17 Jul 2018

You can buy a permit for a dozen or so lochs from the PO in Gairloch. I think it's about £12 for 3 days. They're happy for you to use flies or spinners.

Baron Weasel 18 Jul 2018
In reply to mick taylor:

> Buying lures is addictive.  Oh, if you fancy a blast for Lakeland pike just say (mainly fish Coniston, September should be good).

Can I come too? 

mick taylor 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Sure can.  Will post on here when next going (once the waters cooled a bit).

Moley 18 Jul 2018
In reply to mick taylor:

> Buying lures is addictive.  Oh, if you fancy a blast for Lakeland pike just say (mainly fish Coniston, September should be good).

I'm about to buy some jigs for river perch and Zander, just looking online I feel the £££s slipping away and that's only soft lures, the cost of hard lures for pike is horrendous. You probably don't lose many from the boat, but on our overgrown rivers it's like leaving £10 notes hanging off all the trees

mick taylor 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Moley:

I once made a triple jointed swim bait made from a piece of elm from my brothers wood. Shaped, painted, stainless steel screw eyes shipped in from the states - easily 30 hours work.  Got onto the shore at Rydal, first cast and it cracked off - went flying across half way across the lake never to be seen again!  

I use harris sports mail, savage gear are quality and reasonable value.

Oh, the weirdest lure experience was when trolling a 10 inch fox replicant (rainbow trout pattern) on windermere, it snagged the bottom, reeled in and I had hooked another fox 10 inch replicant in rainbow trout that someone else had lost (its surprising what you can reel in when using 100 pound braid)  !!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...