UKC

Flooding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 16 Mar 2019

River (Roch) levels are the highest I’ve seen them since Boxing Day 2015, although thankfully levels are now falling. Some localised flooding from water coming up through drains in the town centre, but thankfully the river hasn’t breached its banks anywhere critical.

I was just wondering how things are on the Calder or the Irwell.

eschaton 16 Mar 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

Apparently Walden suffered quite badly, and the trains from Manchester to Leeds were cancelled, as well as the main roads through to Todmorden. I believe people were having to divert via Bacup to get up that way but that's all I know. 

Theres a community flood group on Facebook that is very useful for on the ground reports and updates, called Calder valley flood support. 

In away with work and watching from afar with interest, getting anxious at memories of Christmas 2015. 

Dax H 17 Mar 2019

I don't know about the Calder but the canal in Leeds came close. It came over the Loch Gates at Woodlesford and and if it carried on another 6 inch (which is a massive volume of water tto be fair) my mates boat may have ended up sitting on the tow path. 

Bulls Crack 17 Mar 2019

It was close to being more major in the Upper Calder catchment but the impact was ultimately limited to temporary road and rail flooding with little property affected. Significantly less rainfall this time  - 59.5mm v c100mm in 2015. Hard to say at the moment how much the various flood prevention works helped yesterday I'm sure  will be analysed since its the first big test since then. 

Local flood wardens made a good point about how quite a bit of the property flooding could have been avoided or limited by people being more prepared ie sandbags to hand knowing that a storm was coming. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...