UKC

Forum look'n'feel has changed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 11 Jan 2018

The forums look different today.  The thread listing seems to be 'squeezed' between broader than normal margins.  One consequence is that it's not displaying all the forum icons at the top: to get "Down the Pub" I have to pull down the overflow menu at the right-hand end.  Also, it's not using my preferred forum colours - and when I go in to 'User Options', the option to select display colours is no longer there.

This is happening on MacOS with Safari, Chrome and Firefox, on Win10 with Firefox and Win7 with Chrome.  The only common factor is me!  I was expecting to see other people posting about it by now but I haven't spotted anything.  So maybe it is just me.

I have sent a message to the site editors about it but I've not heard anything back yet.

I've also just noticed that the text entry for a new topic is using a "line after" paragraph format, which I'm sure it didn't used to and which I hate.

Oh, I've also just noticed that we have formatting buttons on the text entry window - which is nice, but not if it's mucked up other things in the look'n'feel IMO.  Even so, there appears to be no underline format available, and you still can't embed URLs.  And the Preview is rubbish - just a page of unformatted text.

Looks to me as if they've tried to roll out some new functionality to finally drag the forum functionality kicking and screaming in to the 21st century, but made a rather horrible hash of it.

Or is it really just me, and everyone else thinks it's fine?

Tobes 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Martin W:

Looks fine to me, the likes/dislikes position and colours have changed a bit and some other things here n there but on safari/iPhone it seems to work ok.

OP Martin W 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Tobes:

I think it's a lot worse on the desktop version of the site.  Even if it "looks fine" (which I don't think it does) it would have been nice to be given some warning of an impending change.

Post edited at 10:39
In reply to Martin W:

Can you try force refreshing to make sure you have the latest files: Ctrl+F5 on PC, Shift+Cmd+R on Mac Chrome.

In reply to Martin W:

> it would have been nice to be given some warning of an impending change.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukc/beta_testers-676029

jkarran 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Martin W:

It's a bit buggier and laggier than it was on my Chrome running PC, some issues with text entry boxes resizing or partially displaying randomly in use, text resizing when edited/moved about in the post entry box, weird random line spacing with carriage-returns and when deleting them (seems to render normally once 'submitted'. I'm sure we'll get used to it.

jk

OP Martin W 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

OK, done that.  What's supposed to be different?

From the list of issues that I posted on the other thread:

• ?Larger? fonts & icons means it doesn't fit properly in my normal browser window any more
  • Wasted space either side of the thread listings with huuuuuge empty margins when running the browser full screen
  • Forum display colour options have gone
  • "Line after" paragraph format for text entry - another unnecessary waste of screen real estate
  • Text format functions: whoopee!  No underline.  WTF?
  • Still can't embed URLs (Hello?  21st century calling UKC??)
  • Preview doesn't work - just get a new window/tab with plain text on a white background
Post edited at 12:10
 Steve Perry 11 Jan 2018

Typing a route or crag into Logbooks from my android phone isn't fetching up suggestions like before, whereas if I type into the insert Climb or Crag offered whilst writing this, it does.

Toerag 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Martin W:

Quoting people in posts doesn't seem to work all the time now for me.

Xharlie 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Martin W:

It has changed for me, too, but I can only really see one issue: the like and dislike buttons are a bit odd. You have to click the thumb (up or down) to vote but it looks like you can also click the number -- an idea reinforced by the fact that the number's background colour changes when you hover over it, suggesting that it is clickable, and the fact that the number is physically attached to the thumb button.

From a usability perspective, this is awful. It took me quite a while to work out that my likes/dislikes were having no effect because I was clicking the wrong side of the button.

In reply to Steve Perry:

This is a cache bug. It should be fixed the next time you clear the cache on the device. If you browse in incognito mode it should work OK too.

In reply to Toerag:

Can you send me a link to a message the Quote didn't work on please?

In reply to Xharlie:

To be honest, all that's changed is the position and the text has been removed. The clicking worked as it did before.

I've changed it so you can click on the icon or the number though. Thanks for the feedback.

For info, I’ll need to relearn with the change in location of the like/dislike buttons as I’ve just accidentally hit one of them. I often use my left thumb on my tablet to scroll and the location of the buttons is just where I scroll! I’ll have to use my right thumb where there is a larger blank margin in future!

Also, the ones on the last post are close to the up button and main forum return button, so I may not be alone in accidental clicks. Edit: ... only of course where there is no advert at the bottom of the thread.

Post edited at 14:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...