UKC

Frank Worthington RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 23 Mar 2021

Iconic player in many ways. I believe he had dementia, worrying trend in football. Anyway, if you’ve never seen his famous goal against Ipswich, check it out, it’s stunning 

youtube.com/watch?v=W0z_arXZ8nM&

DaveHK 23 Mar 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Great bit of vision there.

Roadrunner6 23 Mar 2021

Yeah brilliant player but another case of dementia. Worrying.

Dave the Rave 23 Mar 2021

A great player. I tried that trick in training  at lads and dads when I was ten but unluckily hit a pile of jumpers.

abr1966 23 Mar 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I remember watching that goal on a Sunday afternoon on the ITV football show...I think it was called the big match in its day....he was always a classy player and looked like he enjoyed himself!

Tom Valentine 23 Mar 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Hmm.

If heading a ball is a bit worrying  with regard to dementia then what about being punched in the face for twelve rounds.

Sorry Frank, I 've only been  to three football matches in my life and you were the star of one of them. RIP

Michael Hood 23 Mar 2021

I think he was one of the Leicester players my brother in law and his mates used to play 5 a side with. Top division 1st team players having a mess about with some mates - you can just imagine that being allowed today - not 😁

Post edited at 20:47
Roadrunner6 23 Mar 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Hmm.

> If heading a ball is a bit worrying  with regard to dementia then what about being punched in the face for twelve rounds.

> Sorry Frank, I 've only been  to three football matches in my life and you were the star of one of them. RIP

It sounds like it's not so much the big blows but the constant light knocks a soccer player takes heading the balls tens of times a day as a professional.

Though I'd not be surprised if all contact sports end up having issues with dementia. I'd not be surprised if we remove heading from youth soccer. We start it later and later in the game now and banned it this year I thought - due to covid - at the junior levels.

FreshSlate 23 Mar 2021

The ball was much heavier then was it not? I wonder if professionals today will have the same issues in 50 years. 

IM 23 Mar 2021

A legendary goal. 

Do you see what the referee does? Just at the end of the vid. Brilliant.

In reply to IM:

> A legendary goal. 

> Do you see what the referee does? Just at the end of the vid. Brilliant.

Not until you pointed it out. Cool, can’t blame him. 

veteye 24 Mar 2021

I saw him a couple of times, earlier in his career, when I was younger. He played alongside Trevor Cherry: Then they both moved to Leeds United from Huddersfield Town. It was almost novel to have a footballer in those days with long hair.

Roadrunner6 24 Mar 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

> The ball was much heavier then was it not? I wonder if professionals today will have the same issues in 50 years. 

Supposedly not, it's a standard weight. I was looking at this a few months back after another ex-pro had died and assumed the same.

http://www.morethanmindgames.com/2010/06/26/an-enduring-football-myth-the-w...

I find this incredible, some of the modern balls feel so light, but maybe it's just aerodynamics. But when wet they certainly absorbed more water and weighed more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...