UKC

Garden cabin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheTwig 07 Dec 2018

Building a commercially obtained garden cabin - 28mm t+g walls, 19mm t+g floor and roof.  Am putting 50mm Celotex under the floor.  However, what about the roof?  Want to use more 50mm Celotex as insulation, but not sure about air gaps, ventilators, vapour barriers etc.  The cabin will be having a wood burner.  Any useful suggestions?

Thanks.

profitofdoom 07 Dec 2018
In reply to TheTwig:

> Any useful suggestions?

Santa's elves are available to work at a massive discount from 26 December onwards

OP TheTwig 07 Dec 2018
In reply to profitofdoom: Brilliant, I’ll be trying to recruit the short-arsed feckers and offering them Eastern-European rates.  Thanks for the suggestion.

wintertree 07 Dec 2018
In reply to TheTwig:

I did one with 38 mm T+G walls <20 mm t+g roof and floating stone floor.

40 mm kingspan over the concrete base under the floating floor.  40 mm kingspan *above* the timber roof under the shingles.  Vapour membrane over the timbers.  This avoids creating a damp trap inside the roof and leaves timber exposed inside 

Had to take the edge off the t+g timber roof as it was at right angles to the pitch of the roof, but I needed it vertical in order to add extra timber to make vertical fascia boards covering edge off roof t+g and kingspan.

We used the timber from the tripple-length pallet to make horizontal plane timbers under the eaves the proper name of which I forget.

Its a 2.9 m x 2.9 m Tuin “Emma” and I think we’d cook alive if we had a stove in it.

Edit: I went with 40 mm insulation as a quick calculation suggested that > 90% of the heat will be lost through the walls by then.

Post edited at 22:37
Lusk 07 Dec 2018
In reply to wintertree:

> We used the timber from the tripple-length pallet to make horizontal plane timbers under the eaves the proper name of which I forget.

Soffit?

wintertree 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Lusk:

> Soffit?

That’s the one.  Thanks - I’ll not be up late racking my brains or googling roof terms now!  As the shipping pallet is by definition longer than the longest timbers it’s good for the soffits.  Worth using nicer timber for the fascias though.

Lusk 07 Dec 2018
In reply to wintertree:

Hahaha, I've just been driving myself spare trying to recognise a voice on the radio, thankfully finally got it!
Pallets are a great source of wood for certain things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...