UKC

Glaswegians

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nao 09 Oct 2007
So... do you find the term 'Weegie' offensive?

I lived with Glaswegians for 5 years and it was commonly used by them to describe themselves and other people from Glasgow, with no offense taken as far as I know.

Norrie compared it to 'Chinky' on the other thread, implying that it was equivalent, presumably trying to offend me.

I wouldn't find that offensive in the same context, but I do think it has racist undertones that I wasn't aware 'Weegie' did. I would say that 'Weegie' was equivalent to 'Geordie' or something like that. Is 'Geordie' offensive?

I apologise to any Glaswegians I have inadvertently offended...

Any thoughts?
Knitted Simian 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

I wouldn't apologise.

If someone can't handle being given a regional nickname then they need to unplug their head from their arse.

yours

Northern Monkey.
Simon22 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

If anyone called me Geordie I would be offended.

'Tight Yorkshire tw*t' is fine though...........
 Banned User 77 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao: No.

It's different.

A weegie can be a friendly term.

I don't think chinky is commonly used as such.
 Norrie Muir 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:
>
> I lived with Glaswegians for 5 years and it was commonly used by them to describe themselves and other people from Glasgow, with no offense taken as far as I know.

I also have lived in Glasgow, and found most people who describe themselves as Glaswegian; living in Glasgow; coming from Glasgow to be not Glaswegians at all.
 DougG 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

As Norrie would probably point out I'm not a Glaswegian as I was brought up in Airdrie.

However I studied and lived in the city for about 10 years, and anyway, Airdrie is 20 minutes' drive from George Square so it's not that far away.

I had never heard the term "Weedgie" until after I'd left Glasgow.

I don't find it offensive.
In reply to Nao:

If you called someone from Sunderland a Geordie, that would be offensive to Geordies.

If they're born beyond sniffing distance of the Tyne, they're not Geordies.

To the North there are the Northumbrians (and Pit Yackers), to the south are the Mackems.
Nao 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Nao)
> [...]
>
> I also have lived in Glasgow, and found most people who describe themselves as Glaswegian; living in Glasgow; coming from Glasgow to be not Glaswegians at all.

You're probably right. I'm sure all 'Glaswegians' are delusional and only you, Norrie Muir, understand the Glaswegian psyche.

Hats off to you for always being right!
 DougG 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> To the North there are the Northumbrians (and Pit Yackers), to the south are the Mackems.

And eventually the Monkey Hangers.

Fraser 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

Have lived in Glasgow most of my life and the first place I heard the term Weegie was on here, just a couple of years ago! I don't find it offensive, unlike Norrie's word.
Removed User 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

Weegie doesn't sound bad if the alternative term is soap dodger.
 graeme jackson 09 Oct 2007
> To the North there are the Northumbrians (and Pit Yackers), to the south are the Mackems.

I'm a Northumbrian and hate being called a geordie (by people who should know better). Even worse is when people call me a yorkshireman

DougG 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Fraser:

First time I ever heard/saw it used was in Trainspotting (the book).
 Rob Naylor 09 Oct 2007
In reply to DougG:
> (In reply to Nao)
>
> > I had never heard the term "Weedgie" until after I'd left Glasgow.

Oh, bugger, so you're not bothered about my Facebook comment then? Shit, shit shit!
 Rob Naylor 09 Oct 2007
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Nao) No.
>
> It's different.
>
> A weegie can be a friendly term.
>
> I don't think chinky is commonly used as such.

The only time I ever hear it used is in the context of "we're just going down the Chinky, you coming?". I don't think that's an unfriendly usage.
 Stig 09 Oct 2007
In reply to DougG: Same here! Perhaps another example of a term appearing to have widespread currency despite originating from a specific cultural usage (like chav)?
 Banned User 77 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor: I suppose it could be reffered to like that, we'd just say 'chinese' or 'Indian' with no mention of takeaway.

Nao 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> The only time I ever hear it used is in the context of "we're just going down the Chinky, you coming?". I don't think that's an unfriendly usage.

I don't think it is, and I don't really find it offensive, I just think it is a bit insensitive as it can be used as an offensive word (eg you wouldn't say you were going for 'a Paki' if you were off for a certain type of curry). I know some of my friends use it in that way but they tend not to say it around me (I know as they have accidentally said it before and it's quite comical as they think I will be offended).

Quite a few of my friends use the word Chinky in a jokey way to me as they know I can take it. Just like we might use 'offensive' words like ginger and queer amongst friends. I think it's all about context and intent. I certainly wouldn't call a stranger a Chinky or a Paki.

However I really didn't think that the term Weegie or Geordie was equivalent to 'racial' terms.
Witkacy 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

One thing I remember from Trainspotting is that it is an insult. As this Glaswegian says, “Bear in mind that its not polite to call somebody a weegie in Glasgow as this may result in you being leathered.” http://forums.gumtree.com/about36568-0-asc-25.html

As for chinky, I once asked my Chinese girlfriend of the time if she fancied coming for a chinky and she informed me it was offensive, so I took her word for it and stopped using it.
In reply to graeme jackson:

I happily admit to being both a Geordie and Northumbrian (born in the old County Borough of Tynemouth), and like to think I know the difference.

----- the dividing line runs eastwards from about Seaton Sluice.
Slugain Howff 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

Weegie is only offensive when coupled with "soap dodger".

But then having spent my formative years growing up in Baurheid some would say that as well as dodging soap we also suffered from a rare regional form of hydrophobia.

Slug
 magpie 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

I think it's a term used by people from outside of Glasgow, certainly not something I've ever heard Glaswegians using themselves. First came across it after meeting people from Fife on holiday. I don't find it offensive in the slightest, but then I'm used to being called much worse
 Bill Davidson 09 Oct 2007
In reply to magpie:

That wasn't in Norway was it? Oops!
 graeme jackson 09 Oct 2007
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
>
> I happily admit to being both a Geordie and Northumbrian (born in the old County Borough of Tynemouth), and like to think I know the difference.
>
>
> ----- the dividing line runs eastwards from about Seaton Sluice.

I was born in Blyth.
 dek 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:
Weegie is offensive, but i've only really heard it used by Edinburgh people as a supposed 'put down' to Glaswegians.
 Greg 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao: My stepmum, from Hong Kong, doesn't find "chink" offensive - she says it's a modified form of the name Chin, which was the dynasty ruling China when the term arose. I don't know how true that is. She is astounded that we don't find the Cantonese slang for a European, "gwai lo" ("ghost man", "devil man"), offensive.

Took me ages to work out that Weedgie is short for Glaswegian. I think I was on my second or third reading of "Trainspotting".
 A9 09 Oct 2007
In reply to magpie:

I think you're right - was it invented by irvine welsh ?
almost sane 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:
I would call myself a Glaswegian. Its what we call ourselves.
I would never call myself a weegie. It feels like something outsiders call us.

Do I find it offensive? No, but I don't find it comfortable.

If you swap the word "racist" for "bigotted" or "ignorant" or "condescending" then I suggest Chink and Weehie are equivalent.

On of my pet hates is the focus on racism.
Racism to me is just a specific instance of diminishing someone who is different, and all are equally offensive. Despising or mocking someone because of their accent or educational background is just as offensive as despising or mocking them because of their skin colour or country of origin.
 Norrie Muir 09 Oct 2007
In reply to A9:
> (In reply to magpie)
>
> I think you're right - was it invented by irvine welsh ?

Oh no, an Edinburgher Junkie and not a Edinburgher fairy, mind you, I don't know what is really worse.
Nao 09 Oct 2007
In reply to almost sane:

the difference is that I don't think a nickname relating to the city you're from is related to 'despising' someone. I didn't despise my flatmates- they referred to themselves as that (I was at uni during the trainspotting era so perhaps that's why). I also know people from Birmingham who refer to themselves as Brummies!

Like I said, it's down to intent. I didn't refer to 'despising' Glaswegians... you made that inference.

Anyway, if you find it offensive I apologise. I honestly have never heard of people finding weegie/brummie/geordie offensive! and judging from comments on here it's not clear cut.
 DougG 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

Doug (almost sane) has said he doesn't find it offensive, just that he's not comfortable with it.

As I've said several times now, the whole "weedgie" thing is very recent. The first time I ever came across it was in 1995, in Trainspotting (the book). I never, ever heard it used when I was still in Glasgow and I don't think Glaswegians use it about themselves now. Which probably tells you something!
 A9 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

neither - just an arsehole who spun a lot of nonsense and made a lot of money.
 Helen R 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

When I was growing up, 'chinky' was just the term for the chinese takeaway, and I don't think would have even referred to chinese people themselves as 'chinky', it was purely chinese food... Haven't used the term for about 12 years, but that's more becuase I've been living in England and no one understands me...

Weegie, I've only seen on here or read in books, don't think i've ever heard anyone say it. Doesn't offend me, but then I'm not from glasgow.

In reply to DougG:

Am I missing something?

Weegie is just a shortening of Glaswegian, much like Manc is a shortening of Manchester, Brummie is a shortening and play on Birmingham and Doug is a shortening of Douglasmiddleagebeeniewearersenditdude ;op
 DougG 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Knitted Simian:

Just that people in Glasgow don't use the term, to the best of my knowledge.

Oh, and ;oP yersel'.

[May wear the beanie in the morning, could be dangerous though, that train is full of impressionable schoolgirls.]
In reply to DougG:

I recommend the beanie, try to shave your stubble into something Zappaesque on the chin and finish the ensemble with an eyebrow piercing.

THe schoolies will fall at yer feet.
 DougG 09 Oct 2007

Thanks for the tip

Will also take a shitty stick with me, just in case.
 Helen R 09 Oct 2007

>
> Weegie is just a shortening of Glaswegian, much like Manc is a shortening of Manchester, Brummie is a shortening...

Yeah, and you were the one trying to single-handedly introduce the phrase 'jockanese'. It doesn't exist. You made it up.

Witkacy 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

“It is maistlins uised in the East coast, parteecularly in Embra. Awtho it is nae aye the case in the East coast it is thocht by maist Glaswegians an fowk frae the wast-coast tae be awfu offensive.” http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weegie
 DougG 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Witkacy:

Jings.
 Bill Davidson 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Helen R:
> (In reply to Knitted Simian)
>
> [...]
>
> Yeah, and you were the one trying to single-handedly introduce the phrase 'jockanese'. It doesn't exist. You made it up.

I made it up for my niece who has a Scottish father & a Japanese mother, she loves it & her mum does as well!
 Toby S 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Witkacy:

I'm from the West Coast and don't find it offensive in the slightest. We get called 'Teuchters' up here and that doesn't offend me.
Witkacy 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Toby S:

Very good. I think we've established that some but not all find it offensive. It seems that not all Chinese are offended by chink, and I can't see myself being mortified at being called a gwai lo.
almost sane 09 Oct 2007
> (In reply to DougG)
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Weegie is just a shortening of Glaswegian, much like Manc is a shortening of Manchester, Brummie is a shortening and play on Birmingham and Doug is a shortening of Douglasmiddleagebeeniewearersenditdude ;op

...and Paki is a shortening of Pakistani and negro is from the latin for black and Chinky is a derived from the word Chinese...
 stevomcd 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

Generally an Edinburgh term, hence, by definition, offensive to Glaswegians...

Probably less offensive than Weegistani, coined to descibe the incredibly ear-grating accent frequently heard on the south-side... :-o
 Norrie Muir 09 Oct 2007
> (In reply to DougG)
>
> Am I missing something?
>
Yes, it is called intelligence. Have a nice day.
 magpie 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Bill Davidson:

No Magaluf, about 12 years ago, so I think your safe
 magpie 09 Oct 2007
Having looked at your profile pic, I think we met you in Norway (and you probably called us weegies!), you hurt your head the same day I did at Vermark Bridge? - or I am totally wrong and you're not who I think you are!
 Mike Stretford 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao: It's worth noting that only Geordie, Scouser, Cockney and Brummie are used within the the place they describe and nationally, regularly. Manchester, Sheffield , Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Bristol ect don't really have an equivalent. As a general rule I'd say its rude to use a term the locals don't regularly use, but you're right in the sense that I wouldn't equate it with racial offensive term.
Removed User 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

I first heard the term "Weegie" in Edinburgh c.1990. I use it frequently, and I like Glasgow and its natives. If I regarded Glasgow folk as sub-standard or humourless I would be polite about them.

Bill Davidson 10 Oct 2007
In reply to magpie:

Nah, Your totally right, I was zooming down the track trying to beat my two mates who were allegedly going to abseil from the bridge. They didn't & I ended up flying headfirst into a BIG Norwegian boulder! Thank christ I had my helmet on
 blueshound 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

I'm from glasgow, don't find it offensive, but I find is is usually used as a veiled insult.
I find it more offensive however, when used by southern english pansies who have never been north of birmingham (sorry if you find that offensive).
If I am referred to as a "weedgie" I will reply with something guaranteed to offend.
Nao 10 Oct 2007
In reply to blueshound:
> (In reply to Nao)
>
> I'm from glasgow, don't find it offensive, but I find is is usually used as a veiled insult.
> If I am referred to as a "weedgie" I will reply with something guaranteed to offend.

See, if you don't find it offensive, why would you reply with an offensive comment? That doesn't make sense...

> I find it more offensive however, when used by southern english pansies who have never been north of birmingham (sorry if you find that offensive).

I don't find that offensive as I'm not Southern and I lived north of Birmingham for most of my life, so you obviously haven't directed it at me!

As I said before, it's all about the intent - you can use those words in different ways and the context is often more of a clue of offence given than the word itself. In general usage, yes, I would assume that the word 'chinky' would be intended to offend. Especially in Norrie's case as we all know how he likes to offend people. I don't take offence at Norrie because I know he's just a harmless old man.

In the 5 years I lived in Scotland with Glaswegians, the word 'weegie' was generally used as a term of endearment, like Brummie or Geordie, not with negative connotations (unless you followed it up with 'c*nt'). The Glaswegian people I knew all used it to describe themselves - not exclusively, not definitively, but I never met anyone who had an issue with it. When I used it in my post that Norrie took exception to, I meant it as a term of endearment and a nickname, rather than an indication that I somehow disliked Glaswegians. However, people on here have taken exception to it and it's obviously caused a bit of a furore (I am pretty sure I've used it before with no bother).

I would just end by saying that I think comparing it to 'chinky', 'paki' or 'n*gger' is not in my opinion a valid comparison, but no more than would be expected from Norrie.
 Norrie Muir 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:
> (In reply to blueshound)
>
> I would just end by saying that I think comparing it to 'chinky', 'paki' or 'n*gger' is not in my opinion a valid comparison, but no more than would be expected from Norrie.

Yes, your opinion, and it is no more than I would expect from you.
 blueshound 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

You are entirely missing the point. Whether I find it offensive or not harldly matters, the fact is that many do, so it IS offensive.
A straw poll of UKC users on the subject is harldly representative of anything other than white middle class shandy drinking puffs.
I don't think you are THAT niave, are you?
 blueshound 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:
>
> I would just end by saying that I think comparing it to 'chinky', 'paki' or 'n*gger' is not in my opinion a valid comparison

How can you square this though? You think "weegie" is ok because it a shortening of the word "glaswegian"
surely by the same token "paki" is just a shortening of the word "pakistani"?
 magpie 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Bill Davidson: You borrowed our first aid kit! Glad there was no long lasting effects from the bump, that was clearly the day for head injuries.
 hutchm 10 Oct 2007
In reply to blueshound:
> (In reply to Nao)
>
> white middle class shandy drinking puffs.

I could just keep the merry-go-round flying by accusing you of homophobia...the fact is that some homosexuals find the term 'puff' offensive, don't ya know????

I, for one, am deeply and self-righteously offended on their behalf.
Nao 10 Oct 2007
In reply to blueshound:
> You think "weegie" is ok because it a shortening of the word "glaswegian"
surely by the same token "paki" is just a shortening of the word "pakistani"?

No, I never said that. I don't think it is okay because it is a shortened word. I thought it was okay because I knew plenty of Glaswegians who used it to describe themselves, and they thought it was okay. I have since found out that a number of you on here find it offensive, so by that token I wouldn't use it again.

'Paki' and 'Chinky' and 'N*gger' are offensive because they have historically been used as racial slurs. If you don't get that then there's probably not much point trying to explain it to you.

Norrie's usage of the term could've been taken as offensive because he was clearly trying to offend. I chose not to take offence because I believe Norrie is harmless, despite his obvious efforts on here.

Norrie Muir 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:
>
> Norrie's usage of the term could've been taken as offensive because he was clearly trying to offend. I chose not to take offence because I believe Norrie is harmless, despite his obvious efforts on here.

I posted "by - Norrie Muir on - 11:53 Tue
In reply to Nao:
> (In reply to DougG)
> I shared with a couple of Weegie flatmates

Do you also like the phrase "Chinkie"?"

The intent was to show how hypocritical you are, not to offend you. So please get your facts right in future.

blueshound 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

A couple of flatmates does not constitute "plenty of glaswegians" in my book.
Try it this way, would you use "weegie" at work? Maybe your HR dept might take issue with it, I know from your postings on here how imnportant your career is to you.

You have missed Norrie's point as well, he has succeded (albeit a bit clumsily) in highlighting your hypocrisy.
 dek 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:
Christ you do like to drag it out!...."Norrie is a harmless old man?" What if he found that 'offensive'?
You seem quite savvy at doing the veiled insuling yourself, or is that just a symptom of your cuthroat 'corporate' workplace?
 Bill Davidson 10 Oct 2007
In reply to magpie:

Hmmmm, A sticking plaster was your First Aid kit!!!! Still better than what we had tho. Jamie would make a good nurse
 magpie 10 Oct 2007
Aye he's a good boy. At least we had a first aid kit :P
khumbu 10 Oct 2007
In reply to blueshound: I'd give it up mate. You know you're right, we all know you're right, but it appears to be one of Nao's unfortunate characteristics that she is incapable of admitting she is in the wrong.
 graeme jackson 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:
> I have since found out that a number of you on here find it offensive, so by that token I wouldn't use it again.
>
Somebody, somewhere will always find something to take offence at so I wouldn't worry over much about anything this bunch of weegies get offended about
 Norrie Muir 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Nao:

I don't take offence at Norrie because I know he's just a harmless old man.

As you think I am "harmless old man", I will be able to get away with mentioning, how I was so disappointed that I could not break 3 hours for the Marathon, I tried tried 7 times and they were all between 3 Hr 1' 15" to 3 hr 4' 20". I even stopped smoking for the last two, but it never made any difference. Oh to be young and fit like you.
 hutchm 10 Oct 2007
In reply to khumbu:
> (In reply to blueshound) I'd give it up mate. You know you're right, we all know you're right, but it appears to be one of Nao's unfortunate characteristics that she is incapable of admitting she is in the wrong.

Apart from the bit on her last post where she clearly says she won't use the word again because a couple of people on here say it's offensive.

I don't think you'll get her, or many other people to concede that it is as offensive as Paki, nigger, or a selection of genuinely racial offensive words.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...