UKC

Glencoe Red Sock Ramblers Meet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Norrie Muir 11 Mar 2008

Did anybody get any climbing done?
 Caralynh 11 Mar 2008
In reply to Norrie Muir:

A few valiant attempts were made (well, my partner and I tried anyway) but after getting blown over by the winds too often for comfort (didn't fancy getting completely blown off the route), we retreated so it turned into taking the ropes and gear for a very snowy, windy ramble instead. I know, I know.... must try harder....
 CarolineMc 11 Mar 2008
In reply to Norrie Muir: No, sorry Norrie. Too windy for me - I don't like flying through the air at high speed, scares the heebie jeebies out of me! So, stayed low and paddled in streams instead. At least I have done some winter climbing this year though, so I don't feel too guilty! C-:
 KeithW 11 Mar 2008
In reply to Norrie Muir:

No but I had gruts for tea.
 Mita 11 Mar 2008
In reply to Norrie Muir: No sorry, I wanted to play with spiky things but as Caralynr says it was blowing gale force winds with snow and hale for that, managed to lose my helmet in the gale as well, while under the bubble, it was as experience though, will not take the Scottish winter weather for granted.....
 Morgan Woods 11 Mar 2008
In reply to Norrie Muir:

i was there for a week recently and only got 3 proper climbs done (backed off 2 others) and did a day of mountain biking and indoor ice climbing (yes i know i will burn in hell for that one) so i sympathise.
 CurlyStevo 11 Mar 2008
In reply to Mita:
conditions were pretty good sunday over in the cairngorms. Sunny with lowish winds and plenty of snow and frozen turfy bits.
 Toby S 11 Mar 2008
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Nope, got some mountain biking done so had to be happy with that. My daughter managed a few routes at the Ice Factor climbing wall.
 Mita 11 Mar 2008
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Mita)
> conditions were pretty good sunday over in the cairngorms. Sunny with lowish winds and plenty of snow and frozen turfy bits.

Shame that as McCann and I left Sunday day.... Sods law , hope you enjoyed it though..... Will most definiately book for next year and maybe for longer.....
 CurlyStevo 11 Mar 2008
In reply to Mita:
Yeah I think with Scotland very often there is something you can get done it's a question of moving about a bit to where the best conditions are. I know for a fact people were out Saturday in cairngorm also and although it was quite windy it wasn't as bad as forecast and routes got done.
 beardy mike 11 Mar 2008
In reply to CurlyStevo: Eh up. Twas good to bang heads. Did you get Fingers done?
almost sane 11 Mar 2008
In reply to Norrie Muir:
I thought it was too scary for me to climb in the immediate area. And I didn't fancy any sort of drive to the start of a climb - I can do that any weekend from home. For me, the attraction of staying in Glencoe is only being a 5-30 minute drive from the hill.

So I did a couple of walks, and enjoyed it.

As for the hosiery, I don't have any pure red socks, but I have some with a rather fetching red trim...
 CurlyStevo 11 Mar 2008
In reply to mike kann:
yeah fingers was good and in relatively good nick, bit on the busy side though.

How about you good day out?
 beardy mike 11 Mar 2008
In reply to CurlyStevo: Yep. We went up the righthand side of Mirror on some mixed turfy slabs, then up the mirror for a bit, and then straight up the gully above which I reckon was about III/IV in the conditions - lots of rotten snow and powder. Definately a good giggle though. Have no idea what the route was called and it doesn't show up in the guide. However its such a blindingly obvious line that somebody must have done it... also had a look at the III to the right of Patey's but decided that the little step at the beginning of Patey's was sufficiently thin so as to cause my mate a world of pain and backed off...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...