UKC

Glimpse of a Legend. (story)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slackboot 06 Jun 2021

We sat beneath Cenotaph Corner utterly dejected. We had just failed on the Girdle Traverse of the Cromlech. The day before we had failed on Suicide Wall at Idwal. It was sometime in the early 80's. The day was boiling hot, the rock bone dry and yet there was no one around. I looked up at the piece of gear we had left in the Corner when we abbed off. The red sling waved in the breeze as if to say 'bye losers'. I knew we would just leave it there now and go home. 

Suddenly the bright day turned dark. A silhouetted figure black as night blotting out the light. No words were spoken. He moved to the foot of the Corner and looked up. He was now in full sunlight. Rippling muscles with no shirt to hide them. Golden hair flowing towards bright red tights. "It's Robert Plant" I thought to myself. He moved away to the start of the Girdle Traverse and soloed effortlessly across Left Wall, where retrieving our abandoned gear he continued down the Corner. We were gobsmacked! He nonchalantly dropped the gear at our feet. He still didn't speak. I squeaked a "thank you". I wanted to ask him so much more but was frozen in the moment. He turned and disappeared quickly up the Corner. Then he was gone. 

We looked at each other in disbelief. At that stage in our climbing we hadn't seen anything like it. "Err what just happened?" asked my mate. "I think a god just returned our gear" I replied. " Or maybe someone from Led Zeppelin, but still a god"I added. 

Years later I found out who it was. I'm sure some here may have known and climbed with him. It was a one of those moments in climbing you never forget.

Andy Hardy 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

Jimmy Jewel?

OP Slackboot 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Yes 😊

Albert Tatlock 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

Hi

Nice article, your writing style is very similar to a previous poster who used to frequent these forums, a chap called Goucho.

Anyhow keep the article coming.

thanks

OP Slackboot 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

Thank you. It's so nice to know that some of the stuff that has happened to me is of interest to others. I really appreciate your comments.

Clauso 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Slackboot: 

I initially guessed that it was probably Bjorn from ABBA. 

Dave Ferguson 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

I used to work weekends in Joe Browns in Llanberis when I was at college. The Robert Plant and his wife walked in to buy a waterproof, my colleague and I were like school kids, "its him", "no it can't be", "bet you it is" anyway eventually he came to pay and sure enough on the credit card read "R Plant".  Another true rock god, alongside Jim.

Blue Straggler 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

real rock Gods have pseudonyms for their financial transactions that will be seen by the plebs! 

Lankyman 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> real rock Gods have pseudonyms for their financial transactions that will be seen by the plebs! 

Jimmy Page uses the number of the Beast for card purchases

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...