UKC

God tier trekking meals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 12 Sep 2020

It's been so long.  My mind is blank.

Criteria:

- fairly non-perishable (10 days say)

- dry ingredients (I've got to carry it x ~10days worth)

- two pans available

- not a washing up nightmare (so not fried - it spoils the tea; I carry a strainer)

- filling at the end of a long, cold, wet, day

- tasty, tasty, very, very tasty

I'm ok with a bit of finesse (I have made egg custard on an MSR running diesel)

I'm fairly budget insensitive for this sort of trip, but would prefer to cook rather than "add hot water to a pouch"

So imagine you have just met the partner of your dreams and you wish to impress.  What's the menu, Kenneth?

ianstevens 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed UserBilberry:

Vesta curry and a four pack of special brew

DaveHK 12 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> Vesta curry and a four pack of special brew

This. x10 if you're out for 10 days. Why over complicate it?  

Sealwife 12 Sep 2020

Pack of flavoured cous-cous (Ainsley Harriot ones are quite good) with some of the following mixed into it - chunks of cheese, salami, olives, nuts.  First night out, hard boiled eggs and vacuum packed smoked mackerel with rice.

Instant custard with cake bars for pudding

ianstevens 12 Sep 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

20 litres of special brew?? Hope you’re fit!

mike123 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed UserBilberry:  All of this can be ( and was a few weeks ago )  purchased in a super market : 

1. Curry , try kohinoor pouches of tadka dhal  , Dhal makahni And various curry sauces from booths or Morrisons  .( weirdly cheaper in booths )  I found them a bit bland on their own ( but they would be ok ) I fried onion garlic and chilli ( small amount of each for each day )first then added a pouch , Ready in a couple of minutes . Serve with Rice from those flavoured tilda packs . Not sure if you're meant to , but boil in the bag . 

2. Tuna pasta . Small pots of flavoured tuna . Smallest pasta shapes they have in the supermarket . Sauce : Packet of tomato soup , add garlic onion  chilli . OR If you're in a rush in the shop : packets of pasta n sauce .  Again a bit bland but add a few bits and bobs . 

3. Couscous . Ainsely herriot packs are ( as above ) cheap and tasty . Just  Need fried peppers , onionand  garlic to turn to real food , also  goes well with tuna . 

Day 4 see  step 1. Etc etc 

breakfast : variety pack of  sachets of quaker flavoured   instant porridge + dried milk . 2 sachets per person per breakfast . These are very sweet so don't need owt adding . 

Porridge, PB and dark chocolate. Fuels you for ages. 

I also enjoy taking sachets of stuffing, super light but makes a lot of food and it's real comforting in the cold. 

mick taylor 12 Sep 2020

First night: some dried tortellini with smoked salmon and cream and tarragon and splash wine  and a baguette and salad.  Then for next four days the usual couscous and special brew., then buckfast and special brew for remaining days. 

elsewhere 12 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> 20 litres of special brew?? Hope you’re fit!

Cask strength whisky 🥃 is necessary for ultralight trips.

Post edited at 21:52
Removed User 12 Sep 2020

Hmmmm.

You folk aren't necessarily good at operating within given constraints, are you?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Presumably I can substitute any low-grade liver rot for the special brew?

I'm thinking:

- a couscous one (dried onions/peppers/tomato plus herbs and paprika)

- a rice one (plus chorizo bits and onions/peppers)

- a lentil one (dhal/curry/garlic granules)

- a bulgur wheat one (lemon zest, chopped apricot)

- a noodle one (dried shrimp; soy)

- a pasta one (dried tomatoes/garlic/onions, basil, grated parmesan)

Twice.

And a catering pack of SB, obviously.

Good plan?

mick taylor 12 Sep 2020

Dried mushrooms and sun dried toms to pep things up a tad. And heroin is lighter than special brew.

Do it Gangnam style:  Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy and alcohol (Cocaine!)

Post edited at 22:14
 Niall_H 12 Sep 2020

Kimchi instant noodles (Nong Shim are easily available in supermarkets)

If you're wanting a meat boost, take some beef jerky and chop it up and soak it for 20 minutes in hot water, then add it to the noodles as you start to cook them; for a veg boost, dried mushrooms on the same rule

Spicy, tasty, and quick.  Do not forget to wash up, though, as kimchi tea would be a bracing experience!

Removed User 12 Sep 2020
 marsbar 12 Sep 2020

You may have a better digestive system than me, but personally I wouldn't risk dhal away from facilities!

marsbar 12 Sep 2020

Personally I'd add a frying pan and make flatbread. Just flour baking powder oil and water.  

But as you say that isn't within constraints.  

marsbar 12 Sep 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I think I'll stick to whisky.  

Niall_H 12 Sep 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Subsituting chick-peas for dhal, there is a story in _Happy Climbing Tells No Tales_ on very much that subject

https://tentmeals.co.uk/

Post edited at 00:45
 FactorXXX 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Justsomeclimber:

Almond Jalfrezi?
That doesn't sound that appealing to me to be honest.

In reply to FactorXXX:

Nor I, while we’re being honest. The breakfasts are good though  

FactorXXX 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Justsomeclimber:

> Nor I, while we’re being honest. The breakfasts are good though  

Second quibble.
The cost. Are they really over £4 for the breakfast meals?

Wainers44 13 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> Vesta curry and a four pack of special brew

Vary it by alternating with Vesta Chow Mein. By the end of the trip you will be able shallow fry the crispy noodles perfectly....!!

profitofdoom 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Niall_H:

> Kimchi instant noodles (Nong Shim are easily available in supermarkets).... Spicy, tasty, and quick.  Do not forget to wash up, though, as kimchi tea would be a bracing experience!

Sounds great, and thanks, but I wouldn't like to be halfway up Great Wall (E4 6a) when the after-effects suddenly kick in......

HansStuttgart 13 Sep 2020

couscous + dried onion + red peppers + cashew nuts + dried fruits (apricots, plums...) + black pepper (+ olive oil )

on the first days, add some feta

ianstevens 13 Sep 2020

To be super clear, my answer was the opposite of serious 

Babika 13 Sep 2020

Some great ideas on this thread! Thanks

I feel I've been pretty unimaginative so far with those dehydrated packets. As always the weight of dragging it all up the hill tends to decide things. 

aln 13 Sep 2020

What does God tier mean? 

Removed User 13 Sep 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> Personally I'd add a frying pan and make flatbread. Just flour baking powder oil and water.  

Don’t need baking powder either and oil makes it softer but not essential. Chapattis / rotis FTW!

Removed User 13 Sep 2020
In reply to aln:

So good it's imaginary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...