UKC

Golden retriever owners?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 06 Jan 2019

It’s been 10 years now since my cocker spaniel has been at my side, a year since our smelly (but loved) cat departed. We’ve decided it’s time now for another dog. If it were my choice I’ve have a springer but you just can’t tire them out, not fair on the mrs when i’m working. She would have a german shepherd and i love them too having grown up with one however the atheritic problems they have is heart breaking.

We both love Goldens and so going to take the plunge. We have a big garden and live on the edge of the city where country and rivers are a stroll away. We’ll be going for a pup, dog probably. Reputable breeder only and cost isn’t too much of an issue. We want to do this now while we are both still active, with lifespan of 10-15 years it’ll fit perfectly as all being well we’ll be slowing down after that time frame anyway.

What can the UKC mine of information tell me that’ll be useful?

Anything specifically about the breed? Problems? Insurance? breeders? pitfalls?

All info is welcome

Thanks muchly

Jus 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Not sure about golden retrievers but we have a black lab that is the most mellow loving obedient canine companion you could wish for

SouthernSteve 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Good points: They are yellow - you can see them in the dark, often very faithful and will cope with the exercise - but not all of them.

Bad points: Having a pretty dog means that every tom, disk or harry thinks they have a right to dog bother and they can be as stubborn as hell

Buying one: Look on the kennel club breed list for the diseases they can have and then you can quiz the seller about any tests in the parents such as genetic testing for ichthyosis, ocular examination for cataracts etc

I think they are a pretty good choice, but I personally prefer a Labrador.

girlymonkey 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

What about a rescue dog? Might be a mongrel, but they can be hardy and there are always dogs looking for homes. Local rescue center might even have a golden, you never know!

Tringa 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

> It’s been 10 years now since my cocker spaniel has been at my side, a year since our smelly (but loved) cat departed. We’ve decided it’s time now for another dog. If it were my choice I’ve have a springer but you just can’t tire them out, not fair on the mrs when i’m working. She would have a german shepherd and i love them too having grown up with one however the atheritic problems they have is heart breaking.

> We both love Goldens and so going to take the plunge. We have a big garden and live on the edge of the city where country and rivers are a stroll away. We’ll be going for a pup, dog probably. Reputable breeder only and cost isn’t too much of an issue. We want to do this now while we are both still active, with lifespan of 10-15 years it’ll fit perfectly as all being well we’ll be slowing down after that time frame anyway.

> What can the UKC mine of information tell me that’ll be useful?

> Anything specifically about the breed? Problems? Insurance? breeders? pitfalls?

> All info is welcome

> Thanks muchly

I know you have said you are looking for a pup from a breeder so this is probably not relevant but have you considered a rescue dog? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of dogs who really need a good home.

Good rescue centres are going to be straight about what the dog needs and a dog from a centre will be chipped, neutered and vaccinated. An older dog is also likely to be house trained and not need the gentle introduction to walking that is required by a pup.

I think a good while ago the feeling was that you know what you are getting from a breeder whereas you'll get palmed off with anything from a rescue centre. I think that might have changed in recent times. While there are definitely plenty of good breeders, unfortunately there are also plenty of unscrupulous characters.

Whatever you go for I hope things go well and you have a great time with your new dog.

Dave

aaron_t 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

We have a golden retriever that's coming up to 2.

There is a big difference between 'show type' and 'working type' not just with looks.

Ours is show type and gets tired relatively quickly when running and is lagging behind after about 3 km.

Apart from that; easy to train, loves going to the pub/cafe, they all seem to dig in the garden, check eye scores, check top and elbow scores, check insurance actually covers the dog you're insuring...

If there's anything specific you want to know let me know, my wife has lots of friends who are breeders and have been in the breed for years. 

In reply to wilkie14c:

Golden Retrievers:

Very sociable dogs, very good with children; like almost anyone, except vets

Need plenty of exercise. (Check their coats for ticks if you take them through long grass.)

LOVE their food, will eat almost anything including things that are not nice - I used to call mine the Golden Garburators

Extraordinarily good sense of smell; never stop sniffing (unless they are seriously ill)

Love chasing squirrels to no avail.

Very very hairy, so restrict their freedom of movement in houses and cars unless you want these coated with golden hair. (Their finest hair will get into your lungs, BTW.)

Life expectancy (in the US) is about 12 years

Prone to brain tumours

EdS 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

We've 2 springer.....the most chilled dogs going.

Springers are generally more chilled than cockers

In reply to wilkie14c:

Ive got a show choccy lab. Best dog on the planet. Superbly calm. Stubborn sometimes and when he gets the sniff,  can go a bit scooby doo.  Eats everything, and I mean everything so we weigh every meal.  Doesnt need the exercise of a worker and can be left alone for a while if needed.

Love him like a child but if I was to look again when he goes I will be down to the rescue centre for my next.

Please do and unloved pooch the biggest favour and don't get a pup, rescue one.  Please.

Post edited at 18:35
 mrphilipoldham 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

If you'd like a German shepherd then have a look at the Dutch instead, they're much less prone to the hip dysplasia issue. We've 'rescued' one and had him a little over 12 months now (he's 18 months) and he's wonderful. Mad as a box of frogs admittedly, but wonderful all the same!

Sharp 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

I grew up with retrievers and my mum used to breed them, we also had some labs and a spaniel. I'm not wise to the specifics of german shepherds issues with genetic diseases or whether it's worse for them than other breeds but retrievers (and spaniels) still have their individual problems. That's going to be the same for any well established breed but as others have said you can minimise your risks as you choose your pup.

Characteristics wise they have a lovely temperament and are easy to train. I'm not sure if this is still true but there was a bit of a divide between pet dogs and gun dogs with retrievers when I was younger and I remember my mum travelling a fair distance to get pups from working stock. They often look quite different being smaller and darker. Or at least that's my memory of how things were about 20 odd years ago. Things may have changed.

We've been deliberating on dog breeds ourselves for a little while and are quite taken with fox labs, partly for practical reasons. We would look for one with a working herritage and the ones I've seen tend to be smaller and darker in colour than golden/yellow labs. Similar temperament to retrievers, easy to train and sociable but a little smaller and less hairy which is ideal and one of the downsides of retrievers. I'd also love another spaniel, we have them at work but I'm of the same mind as you that they really do need to be run a lot and are best suited to working homes. Spaniels are particularly hard to train if they live in the house with you as a pet and don't get run a lot, imo anyway.

You wont regret getting a retriever if you decide on one, I have many fond memories of ours. It is true that they think with their stomachs though, even with good training you have to keep an eye on them!

Post edited at 20:02
OP wilkie14c 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

Thanks to everyone for your input.

With regards to a rescue dog, it is something we have discussed at length but the whole puppy/training  experience is important to us and of course that of having a predictable (as much as can be) natured and genetic dog. I certainly commend the fantastic work rescue centres do especially in the current financial climate and of course to you owners who have given these dogs a loving home.

Our choice will certainly be that of a working  side of the breed rather than the show side. We have no interest in showing and fully expect (and have the time and space) to have long muddy walks interspersed with cow pat rolling and river swimming. I really had to seek out this type of cocker when I bought him 25 years ago, the market was awash with show stock. That was pre-internet (or at least very early days of it)

Our friends have recently lost their border who was a fine dog, she loved trying to herd stuff,  sea gulls, kittens etc. That instint eh. She was a rescue dog.

toad 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c: I've had a retriever for 5 years.  Got him by accident and I've never looked back. Downsides, he's big, hairy and wilful. Upsides: see above, plus he's very (overly?) Friendly and will go all day. An excellent walking companion and is also reasonably happy tied to a rucksac at the bottom of the crag. 

He's a working type so he's darker and thinner than the big white show dogs, but he's still nearly 40 kilos- its a big breed. Tends to attract a lot of attention and if im not careful he'll exploit it- caking up to people for fuss. I would have had another, but I've just taken on a labradoodle as a favour for a friend. The jury is out, but he moults MUCH less than the retriever. 

Gwain 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c

How about a failed guide dog? Normally have basic training already, being between 12 and 18 months old. Have been health checked and well looked after in a Foster home. Not sure on cost, but the funds would be going back to guide dogs. 

Removed User 07 Jan 2019

The big problem with sheperds is they are hated by other working  dogs which historically would have had tp protect sheep  from wolves, we have had numerous breeds  and collies, lurchers ( collie greyhound crosses)  and a scottish deerhound all hated alsatian types but were (are) incredibly gentle with all other breeds so unless you are prepared to avoid other dog walkers and their pets beware!

Lornajkelly 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Gwain:

> In reply to wilkie14c

> How about a failed guide dog? Normally have basic training already, being between 12 and 18 months old. Have been health checked and well looked after in a Foster home. Not sure on cost, but the funds would be going back to guide dogs. 

My in-laws foster guide dogs.  They had one recently who had failed training due to a health issue (skin thing, slightly too much work to expect a blind person and/or their carer to manage but barely anything for the average dog parent) - he is a wonderful dog and he is now somebody's incredible pet.  The retriever/lab crosses that they breed as guide dogs are such funny creatures.  I love them.  This is a great suggestion.  

With anything that has any labrador heritage, you'll have to weigh their food and get a wobble-kong or similar.  They'll eat anything that stays still for long enough.  Even with guide dog training - food orientation is why they're so trainable.

jkarran 07 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

> What can the UKC mine of information tell me that’ll be useful?

There are thousands of dogs in rescues just waiting for the right home, maybe before finding a breeder go see a few of them, talk through your requirements and capabilities with the staff, they won't palm off an unsuitable dog, they don't want them back!

jk

Removed User 07 Jan 2019
In reply to jkarran:You can not beat a Golden Retriever.............. Apart from a Black Flat Coat Retriever.

Fitter dog and you will never see a fat 1.   Both mine would run across  Crib Coch  with out hesitation

Do not lose hair as much as a Golden and are much more trainable. Prone to cancer so only 10year life span    Both dearly missed they gave me 20 wonderful years.  Shit think its time for another i'll be 85 in ten years time!!!

Pekkie 07 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Before we got our first golden we bought a book about the breed. It's opening sentence was something along the lines of: 'Here's the deal - if you get a golden you will enjoy years of unconditional love but will never have a clean house or car again.' I call that a bargain, the best I ever had.

RomTheBear 07 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Had one for about 13 years. They have an Incredibly good character, are very obedient and easy to train, love the outdoors and especially like being in the water.

downsides: most of them develop hips problems. It's a genetic issue and are likely to be suffering quite a lot from it at the end of their lives. They also are gluttons so can get fat if not careful. Also: hair, lots and lots of hair.

toad 07 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Just on the glutton thing, ive had both labs and this retriever and they have not been all that fussed about food. I feed the retriever and he will usually take two or 3 stabs at it. Its not unusual to hear him finally get round to eating in the middle of the night. He's interested in treats, but breakfast and evening he's definitely a bit meh

OP wilkie14c 07 Jan 2019
In reply to toad:

it seems the eating and the hair are going to be the 2 major factors

Graham Booth 07 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Save the money and get a rescue greyhound/lurcher.. beautiful dogs and amazing temperament.

retrievers so passe and ffing fat generally 

enough rescue dogs around... save a dog and make it happy

Post edited at 23:11
 SouthernSteve 08 Jan 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> ---  they won't palm off an unsuitable dog ---

If only that was true! Whereas the large charities are very fussy and are often perceived as being almost too careful, there are some smaller units that are very much less so. 

Basically YOU the owner need to do due diligence - don't rely on any third party. The problem is exacerbated when the dogs are poorly described and/or have a rapid turnover through the organisation. For instance, it all gets very miserable when your children are being bitten and their friends no longer visit, with the dog described as ideal for family life.

toad 08 Jan 2019
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Yes, i know a couple of people who have wound up with problem dogs, including my sister. Equally, it's very hard to get the "right" dog from the big two because of competition, which in these parts inevitably means a shelter full of iffy middle aged staffy xs because all the loving labs go before they hit their listings. 

I know that sounds very cynical, and for some people they are absolutely the right dog, but there are reasons a lot of these dogs are rehomed and it often means dogs that need a lot of work and may never properly meet your needs.

jkarran 08 Jan 2019
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> If only that was true! Whereas the large charities are very fussy and are often perceived as being almost too careful, there are some smaller units that are very much less so. 

> Basically YOU the owner need to do due diligence - don't rely on any third party.

Well obviously you also have to exercise some judgement in getting a dog to suit you! My point is the homes don't want them back, it is not in their long term interest to mis-sell a dog. I'm sorry if you've adopted one that hasn't worked out but that's not my experience or that of the vast majority of people I know that have dogs from reputable charities. You don't always get a perfect dog but far better to re-home one then have a load bred so you can cherrypick the best. There are scores of dogs available through local shelters here, yes lots of staffies, greyhounds and their crosses (suits me, lovely dogs) but they regularly get all sorts, they had a glut of pedigree Red Setter pups last year for example.

jk

ballsac 08 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

while i applaud your choice of a GR, and even moreso your intention to get one from working lines, i think you're going to have your work cut out getting one.

GR's have become much rarer in the working world in the last 20/30 years, to the point where i'd be surprised if i saw one over an entire shooting season - they have been completely replaced by the Pointers and Vizlas, and even the traditional staples of the Lab's and Springers have taken a hammering in popularity from the European HPR breeds.

if you find a GR breeder with a good working line then good luck to you, but i fear that the breed has fallen out of the working dog world, and now you'll be struggling to find a pup with one or two working great-great-grandparents out of sixteen.

the Lab is probably the closest dog to the GR - working lines are easy to find, with black labs being the most likely to be be from working lines and chocolates the least likely.

if you fancy something different, i can recommend a German Wirehaired Pointer- Lab cross: they are becoming the go-to choice for gamekeepers, particularly in the North and Scotland - 95% of the drive and ability of the GWP in the field, and even lazier and loving than a normal Lab in the home.

paul mitchell 09 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Black and Golden labs tend toward hip dysplasia.So do German shepherds.Collies tend to be more selectively bred.

German pointers are beautiful and even tempered.

Post edited at 22:00
 aln 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Utter bolllocks.

The Lemming 09 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

All dogs molt, but labs excell at this.

I seriously considered getting one, until I finally acknowledged that one would be too big for the house.

Good luck getting your Lab. I too would go for a puppy. It's much more entertaining, and expensive, watching them grow out of eating and destroying your home.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...