UKC

Good power tool brands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Deadeye 12 Sep 2017
Need a new jigsaw and drill but, no, can't afford Festool.

Fairly heavy DIY use and prefer corded (for reasons I can't really justify, but anyway).

Need drill to hammer occasionally, but mostly just accurate holes in wood. Not fussed about whether it's keyed or keyless.
Need jigsaw to be precise - my current one wobbles all over the place (not just the thrust bearing, the whole front assembly wants to go in squiggles).
Both are products of "buy cheap; buy twice" - I am learning my lesson.

So what brands/models do folk recommend?
 arch 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Milwaukee.

Its the only brand we use at work and all their batterys interchange, so only one charger required.
 ben b 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Festool Metabo Milwaukee DeWalt Makita Pro (blue) Bosch. In approximate order

B
Deadeye 12 Sep 2017
In reply to arch:

Thanks - do they do corded? I don't do battery!
 arch 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:
Yes they do, But never used one.

Our most used tool is the 18v impact wrench. The young lads just starting out are going to have an hell of a job undoing bolts in the future.
Post edited at 11:02
Removed User 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Consider buying cordless. Either way you can get done good deals on deWalt at B and Q quite often.
I've never worn any out, they get nicked out of the back of my van first!
 Toerag 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:
+1 for Bosch blue drills, our field engineers use the cordless GBH ones and they are excellent - Guernsey granite is about the hardest in Britain and they power through it. I have a corded one (cost about £100) and it's been good so far (4 years old)
Post edited at 13:29
 Timmd 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Removed Usergilesf:

I sometimes wonder about the green-ness of battery power compared to corded, it seems plausible that corded tools would be greener. This is a thread diversion, though.
 richprideaux 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Einhell are serving me well at the moment.
Removed User 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I like to think that I'm reasonably ecologically aware but when I buy a drill etc I need to know that it'll work for a long time and I can use it where there is no power and there won't be cords trailing over the floor.
 jimtitt 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:
The best "normal" drills are Metabo, one of the few that come with a gearbox. The soft start model does nothing for me personally. Electronic speed control is mostly worthless as usually the torque is proportionally reduced as well. Better is the Fein drill but doubt that´ s really in the hobby price range. We use both at work.
Jig saws it´ s probably Bosch if you can´ t run to a Festo (or more robust a Fein but 400 notes might be more than you can justify).
Post edited at 18:18
Deadeye 12 Sep 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

The oracle has spoken!

Thanks again everyone. I'm thinking of this:
https://www.its.co.uk/pd/KHE-2650-Metabo-3-Function-SDSplus-Hammer-Drill-_M...

Jigsaws similarly?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...