UKC

Google+ really has got my back up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Cloquet 17 Apr 2014
Urgent help, please as I am just about to ditch everything to do with Google / Picasa. How do I switch off Google-backup, which is using stacks of computing space to back-up photos already stored on Picasa?

I have over 5000 photos and the bleedin' app is telling me that the back-up will take over 3 days. On-line 'Help' says that there is an on/off toggle in Settings: needless to say there isn't!

You know, one day, an improvement will happen where a user installs on-line software and has absolute control over what happens and not these pseudo-helpful products which tell 'you' what you have to do!
KevinD 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Andy Cloquet:
https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1647509?hl=en-GB

might do the trick depending on where you are using it from.
Post edited at 10:52
OP Andy Cloquet 17 Apr 2014
In reply to dissonance:

Thanks for your speedy reply but the problem lies in the page which you have given me the link for. There is no toggle on/off switch in the Settings otherwise I would have superglued it 'off' long ago.
Thanbks for trying to help, though.
Andy
KevinD 17 Apr 2014

Where are you looking? In google+ (then on mobile or via a browser) or in picassa?
 CurlyStevo 17 Apr 2014

Hello,
Other than this issue hope you are well.

Is the problem that its backing up from Picasa to your PC or Tablet / Phone ?

Stevo
 Martin W 17 Apr 2014

As well as the Google+ app settings, did you check the folder backup settings in the stock Android Photos app? (As described under "Backing up folders on your Android" on the page dissonance linked above.)

I've never activated Google+ (never seen the point) so I can't offer any advice from direct experience, I'm afraid.
 Dauphin 17 Apr 2014

if its on android the settings are on the option key left of the menu/home key at the bottom of the phone.

HTH

D
 ByEek 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin W:

> I've never activated Google+ (never seen the point) so I can't offer any advice from direct experience, I'm afraid.

If only it were simple. GMail is the messaging agent for Google Plus, your contacts are now effectively you friend list and can be combined into circles and all manner of other every day stuff you might also use, is also part of Google+. It is very clever how they have basically created a social network that contains millions of users who don't even know they are part of it!
 Martin W 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> GMail is the messaging agent for Google Plus, your contacts are now effectively you friend list and can be combined into circles and all manner of other every day stuff you might also use, is also part of Google+. It is very clever how they have basically created a social network that contains millions of users who don't even know they are part of it

A social network most of whose 'members' don't actually participate isn't really much of a social network, though, is it?

Google+ is a real PITA.
 Thrudge 18 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
> Google+ is a real PITA.

Maybe so, but it's great for tracking your movements, learning your habits, cataloging your friends and associates, and loads of other stuff that you already know but marketers and intelligence organisations probably don't.
 Dauphin 18 Apr 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

not very good at learning though is it. It doesn't know where I live, where I work, gives me weather reports for strange places and results for sports I have no interest in. Also I've about 350 friends, er circle aquaintainces, non of whom I've met.

D
 Thrudge 19 Apr 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

> not very good at learning though is it.

I wouldn't know because I keep it turned off. Thanks for the news, though, it's very encouraging.

Jonny2vests 19 Apr 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> If only it were simple. GMail is the messaging agent for Google Plus, your contacts are now effectively you friend list and can be combined into circles and all manner of other every day stuff you might also use, is also part of Google+. It is very clever how they have basically created a social network that contains millions of users who don't even know they are part of it!

That is not how it works.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...