UKC

Got your money's worth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I was out walking the dog last night and thought to myself that the boots I am wearing have really paid me back in wear.

These boots were my first ever walking boots, have seen me through all kinds of weather and terrain, over a gazillion miles it feels. They were put out to stud many moons ago in favour of more robust and newer items but they are still in good use, now being applied to dog walking, gardening, fishing, and general day to day wear. The soles are pretty gripless but for what they are used for, absolutely fine. What's more they havent really been well looked after but the uppers are still looking good.

I give you Trezeta Goretex leather boots whic cost about £60 in a sales from Millets. You have and continue to serve me well.

*I wonder if posher, more expensive items will last as long*
 steve taylor 16 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Both my Patagonia Snap-T tops. They go on forever.
 Skol 16 Oct 2013
Helly Hansen double pile jacket in bottle green from 1987.
Worn almost daily. Warmest jacket I've ever had.
 BusyLizzie 16 Oct 2013

> These boots ... were put out to stud many moons ago

You're telling me boots will breed? With each other? Or are two pairs required? Either way there's a lot of potential there for getting even more of your money's worth, if you can spend the time and trouble educating and polishing the baby boots .
 Thrudge 16 Oct 2013
Mountain Equipment Ultrafleece jacket, £40 in a sale 10 years ago, still going strong. Oh, hang on a mo - the little pull-tab on the zip came off about a year ago and I had to put another one on. So, only 99.9 out of 100. Sorry, Mountain Equipment, but rules is rules....

I wish they still made Ultrafleece, it's great.

Blue Karrimor alpiniste s 45+10 rucksack, the classic one. Don't know how old it is but dad used it since as far back as I can remember and I now use it. Seems pretty indestructible; nothing broken, all stitching still fine, lovely to use. Would never part with it.
FiendishMcButton 17 Oct 2013

Burton AK rucksack, bought it 16 years because it had straps to carry a snowboard. Used it for about 20 snowboard trips. The back stiffener can be used as a shovel and it will comfortably fit a 3 litre water pouch along with your other gear.

It has also been my daily work rucksack for all those years. It was my kite rucksack for a few years for kite-landboarding on the beach. Recently the zipper tabs have broken in half and the fabric around the waist band has started to fray.

Cost me £70 when I bought it and has been worth every penny. I love this bag and would buy another if they hadn't stopped making it. Still going strong as my work bag and its the first bag I will use as a day pack.

Mal Grey 17 Oct 2013

Rab Summit Jacket, circa 1999. Still warm, still light. Just a bit filthy! Still can't beat the feeling of putting it on sitting outside under the stars in winter. I actually look forward to the first time I can wear it each autumn...not happened yet this year.

Karrimor Hot Earth rucksack, similar era. Slightly faded, but otherwise still bombproof.

Of stuff I've got more recently, only my Scarpa Mantas and some Patagonia base and mid layers seem like they'll last for ages.

Offwidth 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor: I have two and despite having holes in both from my attraction to squirming up clefts they are still functional. Out and out the best fleece I have ever seen. I got both mine cheap as well. Minor design fault is the retainers for the waist pull cords cause wear at the base of the chest pockets: first holes on both!
 cuppatea 17 Oct 2013

I'm still using Karrimor Technical Hot rucksack, bought around 1990. No idea what I paid for it but it's bombproof
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Not climbing related but years ago I bought a Honda Dylan 125 scooter for £600 with 6k miles on it. I rode it everyday for 3 years and sold it for £750 with 30k miles on it.
 BigHairyIan 17 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I recently had to bin my berghaus AB85. I bought it in 1983 and had used it extensively over the years. I managed to break the steel spines twice, which were repaired by berghaus without charge. Recently I had to grab the sac up fully loaded to run for a bus that 'missed' the stop and pulled up on the slipway to the A30. Yanking it up bu the right shoulder strap snapped the tensioning strap. Whilst it could be fixed it would have cost more than the sac was worth... So now I.have the problem of finding a replacement!
 BigHairyIan 17 Oct 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan: it cost £63
 Bimble 18 Oct 2013

Gransfors Bruks Small forest axe. Cost a reasonable amount, but with a bit of care, is likely to last me most of my life.
 More-On 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Mal Grey:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> Rab Summit Jacket, circa 1999. Still warm, still light. Just a bit filthy! Still can't beat the feeling of putting it on sitting outside under the stars in winter. I actually look forward to the first time I can wear it each autumn...not happened yet this year.

Couldn't agree more - mines a few years older than that and still going strong. At about £10 per year I think it's been very good value!
 GrahamD 18 Oct 2013

Briggs and Straton (I think) lawnmower from Homebase maybe 17 years ago at <£100. Absolutely no TLC but still starts first pull every spring.
 earlsdonwhu 18 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Scottish Mountain Gear 30 litre sack...used pretty much everyday for over 20 years.

Still have other larger Karrimor sacks from late 1970's which see occasional use.
Still have Rab sleeping bag which has seen good use over 20+ years ( Yes.. it has been cleaned!)
 wilkie14c 18 Oct 2013
Jetboil, one of the originals. Must be 10 years old now. Was saying to my mate just the other day <while waiting for it to boil water> it has to be the best item i have ever spend my cash on. I get it out and pack it, throw it around for a few days, get home and put it away till next time. No maintenence at all, it just works, each and every time.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Scarpa SLs 25 yrs, cost £99, and still usable when I decided to bin them. Leaked like a sieve but handled the rough hills of the Cuillin over twenty times, and were so comfy and my main boot for dry conditions. Stitching was starting to go!
More value still, a set of small screwdrivers, six in all, used as my go to set for DIY, well over 30 yrs old, and almost as good as new. Cost 99p.
As for clothes and accessories I still have some well used and functional at more than thirty yrs old!!
Ste Brom 18 Oct 2013
Karrimor Hot Rock. 21st Bday prezzy from the ex, therefore 21 yrs old.
Lasted longer than the relationship.
 PeterBlackler 18 Oct 2013
In reply to willexodus:

>> Blue Karrimor alpiniste s 45+10 rucksack, the classic one. Don't know how old it is but dad used it since as far back as I can remember and I now use it. Seems pretty indestructible; nothing broken, all stitching still fine, lovely to use. Would never part with it <<

ah yes that was the problem with the "original" Karrimor business model I think: the gear just too plain simple good and long lasting!

How could that ever work in today's outdoor consumer market...

Pete

Calvi 19 Oct 2013
In reply to PeterBlackler:

Quite impressed with all the Karrimor stuff still going strong. My Karrimor Jaguar E63 bought in 1985 and used extensively is looking better than I am.
 mrdigitaljedi 19 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I have a Vango canyon 40 which was brought about 17/18yrs ago(cant remember how much), and has been up several mountains, around europe and is still used most weekend to carry my trad gear, best buy i could have made, its outlasted several more expensive sacks my friends have and has a lot of life left.
 SARS 19 Oct 2013

I reckon my car - which I've had for about 3 years now - has cost me about £3.5 per mile. Each mile has been very pleasurable though
 David Bennett 19 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Still regularly use my 1985 mountain equipment fitzroy super jacket. I wish they still made them like that, just needs a helmet compatible hood.
 John Ww 19 Oct 2013

Karrimor Hot Ice, now 33 years old and still my rock climbing rucksack.

JW
adam11 19 Oct 2013
Original Alpiniste sac, Robbins Big Wall boots (now used for scrambles) Moac nut, Annapurna duvet jacket that should be blue and yellow but is now black - well, the parts that aren't fabricated with spinnaker tape are
 Firestarter 19 Oct 2013
In reply to adam11:

Buffalo Special 6 - 11 years on and still snug as a bug in it. Love it.
 Choss 19 Oct 2013

Interestingly, also an ancient karrimor alpine hot rucksack. Now junked.

In a lurid pinky Colour, with a well oversized top, and a half karrimat for a Back system, which was so tiresome to Take in or out it never saw the Light of day.

Still using my Freney duvet from 1974.
 wilkie14c 19 Oct 2013
In reply to John Ww:
A lot of Karrimor 'HOT' series sacks on here. I've a Hot Ice too in red, I find it a bit small for cragging but it is a bomb proof sack, you've dated it about right, I got mine when I was 14, I'm nearly 45 now so its 30 odd years old. I still have the green mouldable back pad in mine too
 panz 19 Oct 2013
Massage ski poles 125 cm worth every cent of 20 USD still new
climbing every season in remote areas since 1972
rings and straps at once changed to a lot more endurable plastic.
Once in a very remote region nobody to call at for 10 miles
cell phone battery ran out felt cannot move both legs.
Stood still, full weight on ski poles.
Tried to move one leg, then other by inch, in 15 minutes felt better, reached base camp until dark.
Poles seem to save me.
 angry pirate 20 Oct 2013
My old ME lightline jacket is still going strong 20 years later, though it has been relegated to woodcutting duties as it looks really tatty and the lycra cuffs have died.

I have a couple of berghaus packs that have lasted well too. My Vulcan is 20ish years old and has seem a fair bit if use. Too big for non-green work so lives in a cupboard now. Shame really.
 marsbar 20 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I have a basic but solid 20 year old 3 layer goretex jacket that is still going strong. I think it was from the YHA shop in Nottingham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...