/ Gravy train of Cocaine

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
The Wild Scallion 10 Oct 2019

https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-how-much-cocaine-londoners-are-taking-every-day-11830741

Jesus Christ Londoners that's quite a habit you have there.

They should have gone to Fuc@sted school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzL843w3O3o

where is shitting crickey is my nose ?

It's in a jar Mate !

Lusk 10 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

Great headline!
London has about 1.4 times the population of those three cities combined.

Eric9Points 10 Oct 2019

If I have a few minutes at lunchtime I'll figure out how far a single line of 23Kg of Costorphine speed would stretch for.

Jon Stewart 10 Oct 2019

Doesn't seem to be linked to any particular health crisis, so perhaps the best response is, so what?

I don't think the "fair trade" arguments really stick with cokeheads, so while we can all make moral judgements about what they choose to do in their spare time, I don't think doing so gets us very far. Legalise it, or ignore it, seem to be the best things to do about this IMO.

Blue Straggler 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> Great headline!

> London has about 1.4 times the population of those three cities combined.

Exactly! I imagine London eats more Big Macs and drinks more coffee than that lot too. 

Toccata 10 Oct 2019

If each user takes a single dose that's one in 20 of the population taking it every day. I wonder what the rate of alcohol consumption would be if units were divided among the population? I've worked with doctors who've suggested if everyone took cocaine instead of alcohol the country would be a better place.

McHeath 10 Oct 2019

Be interesting to hear if they did spot tests on the waste water from, say, the Palace, the Houses of Parliament, the big football clubs, Number 10 ...

Enty 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Toccata:

> If each user takes a single dose that's one in 20 of the population taking it every day. I wonder what the rate of alcohol consumption would be if units were divided among the population? I've worked with doctors who've suggested if everyone took cocaine instead of alcohol the country would be a better place.

For a couple of weeks ;-)

E

artif 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Toccata:

What about the countries that produce it.

Some nasty chemicals get used then dumped in to the environment during its production

Legalising and producing it under western manufacturing requirements would clearly be a better idea 

felt 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Enty:

> For a couple of weeks ;-)

I always think of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comic "Grass Roots" where they somehow get a mountain of coke and buy a property in the country and have all these amazing dreams and plans and projects for the place and it all seems fantastic, better and better, and then they realise that they've snorted the whole damned lot and have actually ended up with this collapsing dump of a ruin right on the edge of a cliff in Vulture Gulch or something, I forget the details.

Blue Straggler 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Toccata:

Doctors of what? Philosophy? Anthropology? 

Eric9Points 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Eric9Points:

> If I have a few minutes at lunchtime I'll figure out how far a single line of 23Kg of Costorphine speed would stretch for.

Assuming a line is about 60mm long and the report is to believed in that the 23Kg equals 567445 lines then put end to end they would go for 34Km.

I imagine that would stretch most if not all of the way across London.

Lusk 10 Oct 2019

Just looked at your mugshot, are you the next James Bond?

SC 10 Oct 2019

I live in a small town in Somerset which in recent years has become popular with London hipsters escaping the city and it's lead to a huge rise in cocaine in the town. 

The people who enjoy regularly powdering their noses are generally the same ones who are always talking about how they only buy fair trade and organic.

I've been talked at by quite a few coke heads in town and I can conclusively say that the main side effect is it makes people talk b**cks about all sorts of boring stuff. 

The Wild Scallion 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

I'm feeling brave so I put that up from the wedding earlier this year.

> Just looked at your mugshot, are you the next James Bond?

Sigh...   If only women would think this .

I could be if you if you like 

Whats the salary ? and when do I start ?

Post edited at 14:18
Ridge 10 Oct 2019
In reply to artif:

> What about the countries that produce it.

> Some nasty chemicals get used then dumped in to the environment during its production

> Legalising and producing it under western manufacturing requirements would clearly be a better idea 

I think the Cartels might be somewhat resistant, in a skinning the licenced manufacturers' children alive kind of way, to such developments in the market.

Post edited at 14:48
Mike Stretford 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Toccata:

> If each user takes a single dose that's one in 20 of the population taking it every day. I wonder what the rate of alcohol consumption would be if units were divided among the population? I've worked with doctors who've suggested if everyone took cocaine instead of alcohol the country would be a better place.

Most cokeheads I've known get through a lot of booze too.

artif 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Ridge:

But think of the jobs it could generate in the, soon to free of those pesky  EU regulations, UK.

Boris could have his photo taken touring the manufacturing facilities he'll be able to fund with all the new wealth we'll have and just think of all the tax revenue it'll make for the country. Not forgetting the farmers who will be happy with a new cash generating crop. : )

Bob Kemp 10 Oct 2019

Did anyone watch the C5 documentary the other night? I didn't, yet, but this review suggests it was a bit of an eye-opener:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/oct/08/doing-drugs-for-fun-review-the-true-horrors-of-cocaine-revealed

DaveHK 10 Oct 2019
Jon Stewart 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Ridge:

> I think the Cartels might be somewhat resistant, in a skinning the licenced manufacturers' children alive kind of way, to such developments in the market.

Good point.

If there is a solution to the horror of the coke market, it might lie not in legalising cocaine, but in legalising an effective substitute that's made in a lab, and decreasing demand that way. The pharmacology has already been done (legal highs of the mid 2000s).

Imagine how much suffering could be avoided if a massive reduction in demand for cocaine was achieved.

Pefa 10 Oct 2019

Nose candy is a great cure for having savings in the bank. 

Lusk 10 Oct 2019

> Sigh...   If only women would think this .

Your opening line is "The name's Scallion, Wild Scallion" and you'll beating them away with a large stick 😄

Blunderbuss 10 Oct 2019
In reply to SC:

> I live in a small town in Somerset which in recent years has become popular with London hipsters escaping the city and it's lead to a huge rise in cocaine in the town. 

> The people who enjoy regularly powdering their noses are generally the same ones who are always talking about how they only buy fair trade and organic.

> I've been talked at by quite a few coke heads in town and I can conclusively say that the main side effect is it makes people talk b**cks about all sorts of boring stuff. 

The only way to deal with a night out with coke heads is to shovel even more of the shit up your nose than they are.... 

MonkeyPuzzle 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Toccata:

I currently find about a fifth of the population completely unbearable. Everyone being on coke would raise that to... *beepboopbeep* 100% of people.

MonkeyPuzzle 10 Oct 2019
In reply to SC:

> I live in a small town in Somerset which in recent years has become popular with London hipsters escaping the city and it's lead to a huge rise in cocaine in the town. 

> The people who enjoy regularly powdering their noses are generally the same ones who are always talking about how they only buy fair trade and organic.

> I've been talked at by quite a few coke heads in town and I can conclusively say that the main side effect is it makes people talk b**cks about all sorts of boring stuff. 

But Frome market is great though.

Tom V 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Pefa:

It's also a solution for those who think that two nostrils is one too many.

bouldery bits 10 Oct 2019
In reply to SC:

Like living in a UKC politics thread then! :P

Deadeye 10 Oct 2019
In reply to artif:

Ha! Top marks for fretting about the chem-impact of producing cocaine.

Seriously; I guarantee that the direct social harm will hugely outweigh the production considerations.

artif 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Couldn't give a s#17 about what people stuff up their noses or elsewhere, but destroying rain forest for it, seems rather a waste. 

Timmd 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Doesn't seem to be linked to any particular health crisis, so perhaps the best response is, so what?

> I don't think the "fair trade" arguments really stick with cokeheads, so while we can all make moral judgements about what they choose to do in their spare time, I don't think doing so gets us very far. Legalise it, or ignore it, seem to be the best things to do about this IMO.

In my experience there's something of a spectrum of users, from people who dabble to cokeheads. One friend in particular just dabbles, and jokes to her partner about 'fair trade coke' as a sideways acknowledgement that it isn't. For people like that, it may have more effect to raise the ethical issues than it would do for somebody who'd struggle to function without it. 

Edit: On more of a general drugs related topic, I was surprised to learn recently that the stories of rat poison being mixed into certain drugs potentially aren't as far fetched as some might believe. Due to how rat poison kills rats by sending them hyperactive and giving them a heart attack, it can get mixed in with MDMA powder to help make people more hyperactive. 

Post edited at 23:26
Lusk 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Timmd:

I used to live with a pair of charlie dealers, they'd get big chunks of the real deal and cut it back in the house.  Obviously we'd check it out, ... the most over rated drug in history!

Now, bottles of GHB for about a tenner, that would last you about a week, now your talking

Jon Stewart 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> In my experience there's something of a spectrum of users, from people who dabble to cokeheads. One friend in particular just dabbles, and jokes to her partner about 'fair trade coke' as a sideways acknowledgement that it isn't. For people like that, it may have more effect to raise the ethical issues than it would do for somebody who'd struggle to function without it. 

Someone like that is fully aware of the ethical issues but can't be arsed to give a f*ck.

No one struggles to function without cocaine, it isn't addictive in that way. What people struggle with is going to a party and having fun without it. I've got a radical solution for people afflicted by a terrible "cocaine problem": stop going out and taking cocaine.

> Edit: On more of a general drugs related topic, I was surprised to learn recently that the stories of rat poison being mixed into certain drugs potentially aren't as far fetched as some might believe. Due to how rat poison kills rats by sending them hyperactive and giving them a heart attack, it can get mixed in with MDMA powder to help make people more hyperactive. 

Have you any idea how cheap MDMA is? It isn't cut with rat poison - that would make it more expensive!

Timmd 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Someone like that is fully aware of the ethical issues but can't be arsed to give a f*ck.

> No one struggles to function without cocaine, it isn't addictive in that way. What people struggle with is going to a party and having fun without it. I've got a radical solution for people afflicted by a terrible "cocaine problem": stop going out and taking cocaine.

> Have you any idea how cheap MDMA is? It isn't cut with rat poison - that would make it more expensive!

I always had you down as somebody with strong opinions, but who was factually correct. It's definitely true that I've come across rat poison being mixed in with MDMA, and most drug sites tend to see cocaine as being highly addictive. https://www.recovery.org.uk/crack-addiction/is-cocaine-addictive/

Who am I to argue? ;-)

Post edited at 23:43
Jon Stewart 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> Now, bottles of GHB for about a tenner, that would last you about a week, now your talking

The deadly date-rape drug? ;)

All drugs are massively over-dramatised. A big dose of a psychedelic is pretty spectacular, but other than  that, if you're expecting something amazing to happen when you take a drug, it's a guaranteed let-down. Goes for the new things everyone's scared of like "spice" and "bath salts" too - obviously problematic in overdose or habit, but they're not particularly dramatic substances in themselves.

Lusk 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> The deadly date-rape drug? ;)

Years later, I heard it was.  But it's one of the funniest drugs I've ever had, just got to be careful you don't over do it!  Did od once, what a f*cking disaster that was.

Jon Stewart 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> It's definitely true that I've come across rat poison being mixed in with MDMA,

How do you know that?

> and most drug sites tend to see cocaine as being highly addictive. https://www.recovery.org.uk/crack-addiction/is-cocaine-addictive/

Cocaine makes you feel terrible when it wears off, making you want more there and then. Once you've run out of coke and finally gone to sleep, you wake up afterwards feeling a bit rough/tired/ashamed, but you're no longer in cocaine withdrawal. It's gone - you don't feel a strong craving to do cocaine again. If you're a cokehead, you'll get a strong urge to do cocaine again next time you're in the social setting where it's normal for you.

It's a lot like alcohol: the vast majority of people who use it don't get anywhere near forming an addiction, but they use it as a social lubricant, and they get dependent on it for that reason.

Lusk 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Cocaine makes you feel terrible when it wears off, making you want more there and then. Once you've run out of coke and finally gone to sleep, you wake up afterwards feeling a bit rough/tired/ashamed, but you're no longer in cocaine withdrawal. It's gone - you don't feel a strong craving to do cocaine again. If you're a cokehead, you'll get a strong urge to do cocaine again next time you're in the social setting where it's normal for you.

Is that the voice of experience?

No criticism going on here, I'm a wobbling on the edge of alcoholism.

Jon Stewart 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

I've never been a coke head, or a regular user (not tempting since its not that fun, it's expensive and immoral) but I've got enough experience to know what it does and doesn't do. 

Lusk 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

More of an Amyl Nitrite kind of guy?!

Jon Stewart 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Crystal meth, actually. 

BnB 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> Years later, I heard it was.  But it's one of the funniest drugs I've ever had, just got to be careful you don't over do it!  Did od once, what a f*cking disaster that was.

Never tried GHB, but I remember my buddy being taken away from a club in an ambulance after a swig. Put me off a bit.

SC 11 Oct 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

The monthly tw*tle market? There's nowhere better to buy a broken 1980's bread bin for £400

The New NickB 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> Great headline!

> London has about 1.4 times the population of those three cities combined.

Yes, what it mainly pointed out was that per capita consumption in Amsterdam and particularly Barcelona is much higher.

MonkeyPuzzle 11 Oct 2019
In reply to SC:

> The monthly tw*tle market? There's nowhere better to buy a broken 1980's bread bin for £400

Yes, my other half is the target demographic. I'm fine as long as the guy selling seabass burgers is there. Actually, some coke would probably help pass the time...

In reply to The New NickB:

> Yes, what it mainly pointed out was that per capita consumption in Amsterdam and particularly Barcelona is much higher.

Interesting that all 3 cities have significant tourist/leisure/business/commuter/short break visitors etc

- So is it the resident population or the visitor population which are pushing the usage up?

The New NickB 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Nempnett Thrubwell:

I did wonder that, of course London has significant visitor numbers as well, but probably doesn’t compare as a proportion of the city’s residents, possibly a different demographic.

Toerag 11 Oct 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> I'm fine as long as the guy selling seabass burgers is there.

I bet it's not bass in the burgers. Most likely grey mullet.

MonkeyPuzzle 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Toerag:

It's f*cking tasty whatever it is.

Timmd 01:20 Fri
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> > It's definitely true that I've come across rat poison being mixed in with MDMA,

> How do you know that?

I know about (a proportionally small amount of) rat poison being mixed in with MDMA, because I've seen it being done. 

It's got a quality about it which can make people hyper or more lively, I'm not saying it's always going to be mixed in, but it isn't never going to be, too. Which (we'd both agree) is why legalisation is a sensible plan. 

Post edited at 01:24

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.