UKC

'Greening-Up'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dave_watts 18 Jun 2020

With the news stating an estimated 36 alien races within our own galaxy, I fear we're unfairly depicting aliens in a racist manner; namely by 'greening-up'. They may in fact be blue. The UFO/aliens museum in Roswell, New Mexico, features countless grotesque green humanoids, which I believe need tearing down.

I thus wish to initiate a social media frenzy, stirring the furloughed masses towards global eradication of these hideous racist portrayals. 

As a true snowflake of my generation, a propose immediate removal of Star Wars, Star Trek, Futurama, etc, from the digital cosmos. I acknowledge actors who have performed in such foul screenplay should be publicly vindicated for greening-up. Chewbacca, albeit not green, perhaps most easily offends me. 

I shall initiate my cleansing of the past by first tearing down Yoda Fountain, San Francisco. 

wintertree 18 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

You’re already jumping to assumptions here, for example that the aliens exist on a physical scale where colour is meaningful. This is one of the reasons I distrust the study so much, it doesn’t even try to imagine what else is possible.

Post edited at 21:03
 Donotello 18 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

In a book I once read, the chances of the correct chain of chemical reactions that lead from single cell organisms to Homosapiens has the same chance of happening, (elsewhere i.e on another planet) - as if you placed every single part of an F16 fighter jet in the path of a tornado, and that tornado assembling the Fighter jet, perfectly...

Post edited at 21:20
 bouldery bits 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> In a book I once read, the chances of the correct chain of chemical reactions that lead from single cell organisms to Homosapiens has the same chance of happening, (elsewhere i.e on another planet) - as if you placed every single part of an F16 fighter jet in the path of a tornado, and that tornado assembling the Fighter jet, perfectly...

Get enough tornados and enough dismantled fighter jets though....

bouldery bits 18 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

What about the film 'Mars Attacks' ?!?!??

Andy Hardy 18 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

<Pedant>

It's not racism, it would be speciesism, if such a word exists

</Pedant>

aln 19 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

> I fear we're unfairly depicting aliens in a racist manner; namely by 'greening-up'. They may in fact be blue. The UFO/aliens museum in Roswell, New Mexico, features countless grotesque green humanoids

Aren't they grey? In all the popular culture, mythology etc, known as greys? 

SenzuBean 19 Jun 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> You’re already jumping to assumptions here, for example that the aliens exist on a physical scale where colour is meaningful. This is one of the reasons I distrust the study so much, it doesn’t even try to imagine what else is possible.

Have you ever read a book called Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon? If not - it's an absolute classic of exploring this question. It is (to date) the fiction book that blew my mind the most.

profitofdoom 19 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

> ..........I fear we're unfairly depicting aliens in a racist manner.... ....I thus wish to initiate a social media frenzy, stirring the furloughed masses towards global eradication of these hideous racist portrayals..... ....propose immediate removal of Star Wars, Star Trek, Futurama, etc, from the digital cosmos.... ....I shall initiate my cleansing of the past by first tearing down Yoda Fountain, San Francisco. 

Right, and why stop there?

*All literature of all kinds has to go. Destroy it

*All books of all kinds have to go. Burn them

*All art of all kinds has to go. Burn it

Why stop now? Let's do a proper job while we're at it

PS My post is not directed at you, Dave, but at others

DancingOnRock 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Well of course it would. We are a product of our environment. Change the environment and you’d get a different product. 

john arran 19 Jun 2020
In reply to aln:

> Aren't they grey? In all the popular culture, mythology etc, known as greys? 

The accepted term nowadays is 'creatures of grey'.

dave_watts 19 Jun 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

My post is satirical, for anyone who didn't pick up on that!

I neglected to add ET and Shrek to the list of movies I'd ban. Shrek might not be an alien, but he's green, so he's got to go!

GLM. Green Lives Matter.

dave_watts 19 Jun 2020
In reply to john arran:

The movie Avatar beautifully champions inter-galactic racial diversity. 

Tom Valentine 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

If the word doesn't exist the behaviour and attitude definitely does: just read any UKC thread where the subject of non-native species is raised. Culling and eradication are seen as perfectly acceptable in some cases.

birdie num num 19 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

How do we deal with aliens if they happen (god forbid) to be white?

Tom Valentine 19 Jun 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

Start off by explaining their privilege.

yeti 19 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

just look up... erm check out... erm  anyway google Gamora and be nice to the green ones

cb294 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Donotello:

That book probably was creationist propaganda.

Actually, that book DEFINITELY was creationist propaganda.

CB

cb294 19 Jun 2020
In reply to SenzuBean:

The ideas about what kind of life are possible are, for me, one of the best things about the Culture novels. Unfortunately, most of the weird life forms do not play a major role for the plots, but nevertheless.

CB

cb294 19 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

The movie Avatar is a shit rip off of a Soviet sci fi story. Nice 3D effects for the time, but USB ponytails, FFS?

CB

deepsoup 19 Jun 2020
In reply to cb294:

> The ideas about what kind of life are possible are, for me, one of the best things about the Culture novels. Unfortunately, most of the weird life forms do not play a major role for the plots, but nevertheless.

Stephen Baxter is very good at that, and he often has very strange life forms as protagonists in stories of their own.

Removed User 19 Jun 2020
In reply to dave_watts:

I think it was Kurt Vonnegut who remarked that his advice to any aliens meeting the human race for the first time was to run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

In reply to dave_watts:

It's due to apologists like you that I'm forced to go down on one tentacle.

McHeath 20 Jun 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

> How do we deal with aliens if they happen (god forbid) to be white?

Tell them to watch the current Friday Night Video

SenzuBean 20 Jun 2020
In reply to cb294:

> The ideas about what kind of life are possible are, for me, one of the best things about the Culture novels. Unfortunately, most of the weird life forms do not play a major role for the plots, but nevertheless.

> CB

I read the first one (Horza was the protagonist), but really didn’t enjoy it. Do they get much better?

cb294 20 Jun 2020
In reply to SenzuBean:

It is the first, chronologically and publicationwise, but IMO makes more sense when read later. I enjoyed use of Weapons and Excession more, but clearly the whole series is love it or hate it.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...