UKC

grey herons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 21 Jul 2022

Grey heron

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Having a yawn and a scratch

another heron

deepsoup 21 Jul 2022

Lovely. 

I know he was technically a woodpecker, but I always get strong 'Professor Yaffle' vibes from a heron.

In reply to deepsoup:

Few more.

And I get what you mean about the woodpecker, and that's a cool woodpecker.

These herons are used to people/fishermen so provide good views.  One fisherman told me that wait at the entrance to the rabbit holes, grab a youngster as it pops out and then drown it in the sea before eating it.  They have a prehistoric vibe about them, like cormorants.

deepsoup 21 Jul 2022

> They have a prehistoric vibe about them, like cormorants.

Well, y'know, they are dinosaurs after all.

Tringa 21 Jul 2022

I hope you are happy with those shots, BC, they are excellent.

Dave

BTW. What is you set up?

Michael Hood 21 Jul 2022
In reply to Tringa:

Definitely not the setup he took onto the golf course 😁 - the quality shines through

In reply to Tringa:

Nikon D3200 with a sigma 600mm telephoto. I’m looking into upgrading the camera (which is quite easy as there is nothing to down grade it too!)

In reply to Michael Hood:

Aye, you’re not wrong!  It was interesting to try a bridge camera. Got a few odd comments when taking a photo of a carrion crow on the 11th. 

mbh 21 Jul 2022

I've just spent a week cycling round the Netherlands. There were so many herons there. Sometimes sitting still on the bank as we cycled by and once, memorably, three of them flapping past in the morning sun as we woke up. Wonderful.

mbh 23 Jul 2022
In reply to mbh:

Herons in Holland, as we cycled by.

Bulls Crack 24 Jul 2022

I do wonder about these places - I never realised there was such demand 

Tringa 25 Jul 2022

> Nikon D3200 with a sigma 600mm telephoto. I’m looking into upgrading the camera (which is quite easy as there is nothing to down grade it too!)

Upgrading is always attractive but you are getting some excellent shots with what you have.

Dave

Saw two herons having a fight a few years back,  Noisy, gangly, full on and not at all what I'd expected!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...