UKC

Group Car sharing App

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 08 Jun 2022

I am about to set off for walk with The Ramblers, and was looking at my driving route to the walk and noted it goes right past the door of a bloke who will probably be going.
And this got me thinking. 
Due to Covid everyone has to book on a walk, and this is continuing as then the walk leader will know who is coming.
So we know where we are going.
We know where everyone is.
We know what time they need to be there.
We could know what car and capacity.

Is there an App that could collate all this and automatically help people car share, it could even tell people what they owe for fuel, Carbon Footprint, best Pub or Cake shop nearby. This would work for all sorts of situations, including climbing clubs. Its something we should really be doing more of.

bouldery bits 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

This sounds like a potentially great idea. I don't know if such a thing though. 

yorkshireman 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Stuff like that already exists at least here in France. A few times I've signed up for a trail race and they have links for the car sharing. I've even offered a lift but never actually used it. 

There's an app called BlaBlaCar which is a more up to date one bit again never used it. I think it's more for trying to cover your costs as a driver. 

Where I live we have physical, official car sharing stops dotted about which are like bus stops but marked, and with a panel with buttons with the main destinations which you press along with how many people there are. Then when a car passes, it is automatically detected and the required lift details are flashed up so you can stop and offer if it works for you. 

There's also an app for people who live in my area and regularly commute by car to Grenoble to be able to formally offer lifts. Again doesn't work for me so o can't remember the name. 

planetmarshall 08 Jun 2022
In reply to yorkshireman:

> There's an app called BlaBlaCar which is a more up to date one bit again never used it. I think it's more for trying to cover your costs as a driver. 

I used to use it a lot when I lived in Brussels, it was very popular on the continent but less so in the UK.

I've still used it a handful of times in the UK. It basically connects drivers with people looking for lifts - a digital version of hitch hiking. Haven't used it for a while now, though.

yorkshire_lad2 09 Jun 2022
In reply to planetmarshall:

> a digital version of hitch hiking.

Isn't that what a thumb is ....

(Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll get my coat .....)

Babika 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Godwin:

The BMC community liftshare site?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...